By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Microsoft giving Xbox 360 Owners $75 With the Purchase of an Xbox One

New Zealand has like 4 million people living there which is smaller than the relitavely middle level populated state I live in.

Around the Network
sc94597 said:

What spare parts does a WIi have that wouldn't be cheaper to buy in bulk? Microsoft was doing a promotion with PS3's to take marketshare and convert PS gamers to Xbox ones. Nintendo has no motivation to do that other than maybe to motivate Wii owners to buy a Wii U, but Nintendo cares more about profit than marketshare and likely wouldn't see such a venture as profitable in the short term nor the long term. 

Again, same logic applies here. What spare parts does an Xbox 360 have that wouldn't be cheaper to buy in bulk? The idea with this $75 dollar promotion is to get people to go to the Xbone in a way that lets Microsoft recover some of the costs by reusing spare parts. Nintendo could do the same. The difference is that Nintendo has more to gain from it since it would spread the word that the Wii U is a new console, and consumers have less to lose from it because the Wii U is backwards compatible.

Microsoft becomes so giving when they are on the losing end of things. :)

HylianSwordsman said:
sc94597 said:

What spare parts does a WIi have that wouldn't be cheaper to buy in bulk? Microsoft was doing a promotion with PS3's to take marketshare and convert PS gamers to Xbox ones. Nintendo has no motivation to do that other than maybe to motivate Wii owners to buy a Wii U, but Nintendo cares more about profit than marketshare and likely wouldn't see such a venture as profitable in the short term nor the long term. 

Again, same logic applies here. What spare parts does an Xbox 360 have that wouldn't be cheaper to buy in bulk? The idea with this $75 dollar promotion is to get people to go to the Xbone in a way that lets Microsoft recover some of the costs by reusing spare parts. Nintendo could do the same. The difference is that Nintendo has more to gain from it since it would spread the word that the Wii U is a new console, and consumers have less to lose from it because the Wii U is backwards compatible.

The Xbox 360 at least has hard drives to reuse, the Wii has nothing. Pretty much everything is replaced with newer standards, and the technology is so specialized. But that isn't the point. Microsoft obviously takes a loss from this, yes, maybe a reduced loss if they can resell parts or use the parts in refurbished 360s, but a loss still. What  they gain is to prevent 360 owners from upgrading to a PS4 instead of an Xbox 360. That is all. Nintendo does not benefit from such a marketshare ploy. What you are basically asking is for Nintendo to reduce the price of the Wii U to Wii owners (which is essentially everybody who buys games) and then tell them about it, as the Wii has no components that would make up for a $50 price-cut (new Wii's sell for $100, used for as low as $40.) 

sales2099 said:
wary-wallaroo said:
Why are people even bringing the PS3 into this, that happened 7 years ago guys, it's irrelevent now. Sony was desperate them, MS is desperate now. Stop living in the past

Looks like somebody failed history class ;)

Looking at the past is a great way to see our trial and error process, to gauge the events of yesterday and apply them today to estimate what will come in the future.

But yes, you are a prime example that Playstation Historians, with all their PHD's and tenure, actually seek to destory all historic documents of times when PS consoles were not winning :P

so what you're saying is, this is your admission that microsoft are not winning.

Around the Network
Tamron said:
sales2099 said:
wary-wallaroo said:
Why are people even bringing the PS3 into this, that happened 7 years ago guys, it's irrelevent now. Sony was desperate them, MS is desperate now. Stop living in the past

Looks like somebody failed history class ;)

Looking at the past is a great way to see our trial and error process, to gauge the events of yesterday and apply them today to estimate what will come in the future.

But yes, you are a prime example that Playstation Historians, with all their PHD's and tenure, actually seek to destory all historic documents of times when PS consoles were not winning :P

so what you're saying is, this is your admission that microsoft are not winning.

......I have access to the front page of vgchartz. I can see the hardware numbers.

Xbox: Best hardware, Game Pass best value, best BC, more 1st party genres and multiplayer titles. 

Thanks to the guy who brought up the article about deserting. I can confirm this is true and a potent driving force behind PS4's early success.

I was a hardcore 360 owner last gen, I hated everything Sony and I got banned for those sentiments on many other websites. I also racked up a large gamerscore, something close to 90,000 points. I thought for sure I was going to go with X1 before the reveal.

However, I was feeling jaded with the lack of support from MS. The last couple of years were bad for 360. No killer exclusives, just third party stuff. Seemed like PS3 was getting all the support with some really cool exclusives.

After E3 I was just shocked. The PS4 seemed like a no-brainer.

Edit: And NO, I don't plan on buying a X1 in addition to my PS4. 

Looks like removing the Kinect didn't do as much as MS would have liked. $75 is hardly chump change for an unofficial pricecut.

This is no worse than Nintendo bundling one of their biggest games of this generation with their console at a reduced price, and throwing a code for a free $60 game on top of it. You might even say Nintendo is giving a bigger value in terms of $ than MS is.

MegaManX said:
This is no worse than Nintendo bundling one of their biggest games of this generation with their console at a reduced price, and throwing a code for a free $60 game on top of it. You might even say Nintendo is giving a bigger value in terms of $ than MS is.

Nice try, but the mario kart bundle was 30 more expensive and you got some really old games for it, wich it worked by the way and improved sales. WHy dont you compare that to the titan fall bundle wich offered a brand new game and a 50$ price cut. wich is a bit more desperate in my opinion. even thoy this 75$ bonus is just after a 100$ pricut wich failed horribly.

It takes genuine talent to see greatness in yourself despite your absence of genuine talent.