By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Microsoft giving Xbox 360 Owners $75 With the Purchase of an Xbox One

WiiStation360 said:
This is only a limited offer, and only to select clients.

This has less to do with a temporary sales boost, and more do with locking in their best customers from deciding to buy a PS4 this fall.

I am sure MS has tracked their best customers (money spend/hours played on Live) and watched if they upgraded to XBox One, or stopped playing on Live (went to Sony for new generation). They want to keep the gamers who buy 10+ games a year over the people who just buy the yearly CoD game.

Because of this promotion, I am guessing they saw a large shift of these gamers to PS4, and wanted to keep them locked into XBox before Destiny came out.

Yep. My account that I used on my 360 for 8 years didn't get the offer, nor did anyone else I know with a 360 get the offer. Seems pretty limited. Maybe it's rolling out in waves or something.

Around the Network

I thought I smelled desperation on the 405 today! Them throwing money at customers is going to backfire...The perception is already out there that the Xbox is the inferior console, and this is only going to feed that perception. If this bribe doesn't move sales significantly, they are REALLY going to be hurting this holiday season!

KingdomHeartsFan said:
MoHasanie said:

Looks like Microsoft decided that a number of Xbox 360 owners require some nudging in order to upgrade to the Xbox One

First thing that popped into my head lol.

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/134529-Microsoft-People-More-Satisfied-With-Xbox-360-Than-PS3

really?  first thing that popped into my head.

czecherychestnut said:
bananaking21 said:
NobleTeam360 said:
Cool, so along with the game you already get you get another 75 to buy another game. I guess maybe I should've waited on buying an Xbone with all the good offers and everything they keep having.

this is a really good deal. basically makes the console 325$. and to think just a few months ago it was 499$. 

Man, if MS has achieved anything with the XB1 launch so far its to drive home to consumers the message of never buying their next console within the first year. I know consoles always get cheaper and early adopters miss out, but damn, to go from $499 with no pack in games and kinect that will quickly become useless now that its optional to effectively $325 (35% price reduction) in the space of 7 months is unprecedented. It must being doing a number on their financial planning for the E&D division. 

Not really unprecedented. PS3 saw a 17% price reduction after 7 months and a 50% price reduction from the original launch price less than 3 years after launch. And it's not really a price drop, they're just offering a new SKU minus a significant and unnecessary peripheral. And since when is a "rebate" a price drop?

Good for them they're trying to convert people to next gen. There are more pre-orders for COD: Advanced Warfare on Xbox 360 than Xbox One and this point and that's sad.

Based on the comments I am reading.....seems even when MS gives great deals:

X1 2014 ($499 cut to $399 with deals) = Desperate

PS3 in 2007 ($599 cut to $399) = The Mother Theresa of generiousity

A look on history according to our local PS Historians.

Xbox: Best hardware, Game Pass best value, best BC, more 1st party genres and multiplayer titles. 

Around the Network
sales2099 said:

Based on the comments I am reading.....seems even when MS gives great deals:

X1 2014 ($499 cut to $399 with deals) = Desperate

PS3 in 2007 ($599 cut to $399) = The Mother Theresa of generiousity

A look on history according to our local PS Historians.

No, Sony was indeed desperate to turn things around for the PS3.  But don't get caught up comparing last gen to this one.  Last time, the PS3 had the better hardware (more reliable, blu-ray drive, etc), this time around the console that is lagging has the inferior hardware....AND it has fewer games.  It's not going to be a repeat of last gen where the PS3 was able to come from behind to take the lead.

Not too shabby, MS, not too shabby at all. LOL at Sonyfans trying to poo poo this. 

Not a bad offer. Too bad it's restricted to select 360 owners and is US only.

Price drop to $350 before the holidays. You know it is coming.

Seems like a desperate move. You wouldnt be doin this if you were happy with sales