By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Positive Impacts From a Unified/Fusion Nintendo Platform

That could be a real nice game changer, if you look at Nintendo's games for 3DS and Wii U and combined all those games onto one platform it would make a big difference I would think. 

The other thing is Nintendo could take more chances with new IP or bringing back older IP because they wouldn't be bogged down by having to develop 2 versions of each major franchise for two different systems. So you know, EAD Tokyo could make one 3D Mario game, but then be free to do something else instead of having to do 3D Land and then 3D World for instance. 

Maybe with more freed up development resources as a result Nintendo can take more chances making new IP like Splatoon in the future or bring back older IP like Wave Race. 

The more I think about it, the more I think it's a pretty good idea. I don't really need to have a Mario 3D Land, when 3D World is a better game in most every respect for instance, but that ties up the development team for a good 4 years or so and prevents them from giving me something different. Thoughts?

Around the Network

There's only one problem:
if the system underperforms, there would be no other system to make profits.
I still stand by my idea of 2 platforms with nearly identical architecture and OS, but different specs.

MohammadBadir said:
I still stand by my idea of 2 platforms with nearly identical architecture and OS, but different specs.

I think that's what he's talking about isn't it? I think Nintendo has the resources to at least expand and support some more studios right now, are they investing in that for their future unified platform that they've been talking about?

MohammadBadir said:

Nintendo can't support two platforms at once any more. 

It really is actually a miracle they've managed so long, but the thing is handheld games are becoming nearly as complex as console games, and now because their handhelds sell so much more than their console pretty much every gen, they have to have versions of their bigger IP on both systems. 

It's just incredible redundant and a huge waste of development resources. Two 3D Marios, two 2D Marios, two Mario Karts, two Smash Brothers, etc. etc.

Nintendo's home console division is so borderline irrelevant right now anyway, that having one unified platform would help them sell more games IMO. If the platform fails, then why would seperate Nintendo platforms with even fewer games between them have any more success? Imagine what a game like 3D World or DKC: TF could sell on a userbase of 40 million instead of being stuck with the Wii U's 6 million or so. 

what worries me is the technology.
a wii U sucessor that is not more powerfull than ps4 will be another joke.
A handheld more powerfull than ps4 will be very expensive (nor even possible?)
I hope is too early to think in an hybrid. not even in the next 5 year.
or we wait for a new technology (nanotubes transistors, or new IBM unified ions memory). unless they are already talking to developers of these new technology, i cant see a good deal in consoles unification before 2020.

Around the Network
jonathanalis said:
or we wait for a new technology (nanotubes transistors, or new IBM unified ions memory). unless they are already talking to developers of these new technology, i cant see a good deal in consoles unification before 2020.

Eh ... Nintendo doesn't need PS4 level graphics. I don't think they would even want to spend the money to develop games that would take advantage of that.

Nintendo's games look great on the Wii U, and the whole "bu but third parties" concern goes out the window too because Nintendo could simply their platform with enough content year round on their own when their resources aren't split into two. 

Honestly I think a lot more devs are going to go bankrupt during the PS4-era trying to make big budget games. It's just a zero sum game that Nintendo is never going to get involved in. 

Mario Kart 8 level graphics are good enough, it would be nice if the next platform could run a game like that in 1080p with anti-aliasing though. 

jonathanalis said:

The handheld would not be more powerful than a PS4, probably not by a long shot. The engine/engines that Nintendo would use would just be scalable. 

Did you forget the negative impacts ?

Anyways, other than the benefit of sharing the same pool of games it will most likely end up being a negative in the long term seeing as how systems need to be differentiated in software in order to give a selling point for one system over another. A lot of people aren't very fond of Nintendo consoles compared to their handhelds in general so this only hurts Nintendo's business in general as it only gives more incentives for people to not buy a Nintendo console.

If Nintendo gets back into the graphics pissing match (which I don't see happening) they would have to match Sony's PS5 (read: FIVE) level graphics. Matching PS4 a few years after the PS4 already has come out wouldn't do anything for them, just like no one is impressed with the Wii U having somewhat better graphics than the PS3/360 they already own.

Better to just get out of that whole rat race entirely and focus on an affordable platform that has lots of great games and flexibility to the consumer to play games on the go or at home.

fatslob-:O said:
Did you forget the negative impacts ?

Anyways, other than the benefit of sharing the same pool of games it will most likely end up being a negative in the long term seeing as how systems need to be differentiated in software in order to give a selling point for one system over another. A lot of people aren't very fond of Nintendo consoles compared to their handhelds in general so this only hurts Nintendo's business in general as it only gives more incentives for people to not buy a Nintendo console.

I'm not sure how. You either buy one or the other or if you really want to you buy both. If you want to have your Nintendo games on the go then you get the portable, if you want them at home you get the console, if you want both you get both. I assume there would be some kind of cross buy for both. I don't get the logic that having the same games on both platforms somehow cancels out each other or something.