By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - So Mario Kart 8 Isn't Going To Give The Wii U Even 1 Month At 100k+ In The US?

Looking at the predictions thread for the upcoming June NPD it seems like even most ardent Nintendo fans here are resigned to sub-100k sales for the Wii U in June ... so basically the Mario Kart 8 impact was ... err, not so good?

I really loved Nintendo's E3, but that's basically curtains for the Wii U is it not? I mean Mario 3D World, Wii Fit U, Donkey Kong Country, Wii Sports Club, Pikmin 3, Sonic, and now Mario Kart 8 have all come and gone ... if they still can't get over 100k for a month ... I think most if not all hope is lost. Even the GameCube could fairly regularily top 100k in North America even without a new release, if the Wii U can't even do that in the midst of Mario Kart ... that's just shockingly bad. 

There's been an improvement in sales in Japan too, but not really anything to get too excited over. 

Smash Bros. will help, but honestly if MK8 can't do more than this, then the system is basically done for barring an Amiibo miracle, or Splatoon becoming a new Pokemon like hit. Oh well as long as I gets me some Bayonetta 2, Xenoblade X, and Star Fox U, I'll be relatively pleased with my purchase. 

Around the Network

Oh well. Doom, I guess.

Soundwave said:

Looking at the predictions thread for the upcoming June NPD it seems like even most ardent Nintendo fans here are resigned to sub-100k sales for the Wii U in June ... so basically the Mario Kart 8 impact was ... err, not so good?

I really loved Nintendo's E3, but that's basically curtains for the Wii U is it not? I mean Mario 3D World, Wii Fit U, Donkey Kong Country, Wii Sports Club, Pikmin 3, Sonic, and now Mario Kart 8 have all come and gone ... if they still can't get over 100k for a month ... I think most if not all hope is lost. Even the GameCube could fairly regularily top 100k in North America even without a new release, if the Wii U can't even do that in the midst of Mario Kart ... that's just shockingly bad. 

There's been an improvement in sales in Japan too, but not really anything to get too excited over. 

Smash Bros. will help, but honestly if MK8 can't do more than this, then the system is basically done for barring an Amiibo miracle, or Splatoon becoming a new Pokemon like hit. Oh well as long as I gets me some Bayonetta 2, Xenoblade X, and Star Fox U, I'll be relatively pleased with my purchase. 

I think it's time to accept reality here. The Wii-U is the next Dreamcast. And by that, I don't mean that Nintendo is finished as a console maker. I think the Wii-U is going to be viewed in much the same light as the Dreamcast is viewed today. It's going to be a cult hit, with the mainstream community ignoring it entirely. Then in about 10 years, people are going to look back at it's library and think to themselves "wtf?!? How did we NOT support this machine?!?!"

My advice? Enjoy it and ignore sales like I did with Dreamcast. Time will vindicate your purchase.

it seemed to be 100K + for about 5-6 weeks...

The sad reality is that games alone won't save the WiiU...

---Member of the official Squeezol Fanclub---

Around the Network

And that's how the cookie crumbled

I predict that the Wii U will sell a total of 18 million units in its lifetime. 

The NX will be a 900p machine

Soundwave has to be the user who changes opinions the most on this site.

Nintendo and PC gamer

btw VGC waiting again for NPD before they release new numbers?

If you demand respect or gratitude for your volunteer work, you're doing volunteering wrong.

We all knew this would happen. The problem is Watch_Dogs over hyped madness. The fact that Mario Kart 8 sold over 2 million copies says a lot too. The Wii U isn't dead yet, nor is it on life support. Lets look at it like this in a real life scenario. Nintendo is the nerdy guy being picked on by the two brawny muscle guys. Though the reality of the situation is, those two brawny guys love Nintendo and want it to succeed too since they are just playing around. It's the people who adore those brawny guys that's the problem. Fanboys are a plague of biblical proportions to the industry.

In certain ways, nintendo has some fault in that too, since the stock of MK bundles seems pretty low, in shortage in some areas. Yeah, probably neither the retailers or nintendo really expect a big push, but happened and they were not ready. And considering all the bonuses included on the bundle, maybe they are trying to avoid loses.

There are other problems too, like 3 months between the last exclusive and the next exclusive, the price cut on xbox. Most of us got over it, WiiU not be mainstream.

"Hardware design isn’t about making the most powerful thing you can.
Today most hardware design is left to other companies, but when you make hardware without taking into account the needs of the eventual software developers, you end up with bloated hardware full of pointless excess. From the outset one must consider design from both a hardware and software perspective."

Gunpei Yoko