By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Anyone else feel games without achievements/trophies are a waste of time?

I feel the opposite way. In my opinion any kind of achievement is a waste of time and the ugly pop-ups heavily break immersion. For example in the FFVII 2013 HD Release achievements are extremely annoying. You do not need achievements at all to create incentive to play or complete a game, I used to 100% all my games, especially the very hard Rareware titles for N64.

Around the Network

I play games because they're fun... Having fun isn't a waste of time.

no

vivster said:
God yes, someone else brought it up^^

Yes, I've felt that way since last gen. Every game without trophies felt empty. I regularly struggle which games I should get for PC and which for PS4. I still wonder how I managed the jump to Wii U as trophies were one of my biggest concerns.

It's not like I have a lot(or any) friends to show them but since their inception I always thought they were one of the best additions of last gen. They motivate to get even more out of a game which is pretty big for me since I usually only do as much as I want in a game and then I'm finished with it forever. They're responsible for falling even more in love with Mirror's Edge, where they pushed me to get my first and only plat.

Trophies are great. Every game without or too few is a waste of potential.

Several WiiU games have stickers though:)

Sometimes trophies kill my enthusiasm for games, making me feel like I am playing the game incorrectly even though I am close to beating it and am only 30% on achievements.

Sometimes I feel like they add certain achievements just to try and "prove" there is more to their game then there really is and convince us of replay value.

Around the Network

Finish Donkey Kong tropical freeze, with all KONG letters, jigsaw pieces and gold medals on time attack, finishing it 200%. Thats a gaming achievement, opposed to killing 100 soldiers in battle or something. In fact a lot of Nintendo games have unlockables and achievements in game, eg finding all the coins/stars on Mario games and unlocking the bonus levels etc, even Wii sports/resort had achievement stamps.

KLXVER said:
vivster said:
God yes, someone else brought it up^^

Yes, I've felt that way since last gen. Every game without trophies felt empty. I regularly struggle which games I should get for PC and which for PS4. I still wonder how I managed the jump to Wii U as trophies were one of my biggest concerns.

It's not like I have a lot(or any) friends to show them but since their inception I always thought they were one of the best additions of last gen. They motivate to get even more out of a game which is pretty big for me since I usually only do as much as I want in a game and then I'm finished with it forever. They're responsible for falling even more in love with Mirror's Edge, where they pushed me to get my first and only plat.

Trophies are great. Every game without or too few is a waste of potential.

Several WiiU games have stickers though:)

Sure and I love SM3DW for that but it pains me that they won't get added to a big collection like I have on PS.

If you demand respect or gratitude for your volunteer work, you're doing volunteering wrong.

I get annoyed everything I get a message during a game saying I got an achievement. I could careless for them.

Ka-pi96 said:
jonathanalis said:
play a game just for getting the trophies isnt also a waste of time?

That would be true. But playing a game that is fun and has trophies > just fun.

I see.

But Nintendo games have something like that.

In 3D world you can get all stamps and stars, and it will take a lot of time to enjoy the game while doing it.

DKCTF, all the pieces, kong letters, time rush, etc. Mario kart, stamps, kart parts. Zelda minish cap, kingstones, MM, masks, pikmin, all hidden fruits...

You have lots of replay value if you want. And in this case, the achievments are specific for the games, and fit better in the game universe than a generic trophy.

No...

You're not really a real gamer if you only play games for trophies/achievements...

I play games for the games themselves. Trophies/achievements are a bonus.

The One and Only

VizionEck.com