By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - PC Discussion - InSomnia - An RPG Set in a Brutal Dieselpunk Universe - Kickstarter

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1892480689/insomnia-an-rpg-set-in-a-brutal-dieselpunk-univers

Atmospheric single-player/co-op RPG set in a "living" dieselpunk sandbox with real-time tactical gameplay

On a colossal spaceship,a character awakens from cryogenic sleep—unknowingly holding humanity’s last best hope in his bare hands. . . .

InSomnia is a Dieselpunk RPG that transports you to a retro-futuristic space station on a 400- year journey in search of a new home. 

Explore the world as a warrior—or hide in the shadows as an outcast. Perhaps you’ll be a charismatic leader—or maybe you’ll become an apex predator with bloodshot eyes and a thrill for the kill. Either way, you will have to muster the strength to survive in order to find out why mankind has embarked on such a risky journey through uncharted space. InSomnia offers an epic, non-linear storyline with many ‘points of no return’ (think of them as forks in the road) and deep, immersive gameplay. The fate of the space station’s many inhabitants will depend on your choices.

Join us in the metal corridors and crumbling machinery of InSomnia!

Summary

• Platforms: PC, Mac, and Linux
  • Release date: Q4 2015 on PC. Mac and Linux to be determined.
  • Gameplay time: 15-20 hours main storyline & 20-30 hours of side quests (first season/year). More than 20 FREE chapters are planned after release, with 3-6 hours of gameplay each, to tell the whole tale.
  • Languages:French, German, English, Spanish, Polish, Russian,  Turkish
  • Experience a dieselpunk RPG with Noir stylings featuring man made apocalyptic landscapes imbued with a dark, ambient soundtrack and echoes of a post-war civilization 
  • Customize your character - choose your gender, avatar, body shape, preferable skillsperks and story background before starting your journey.
  • Play through the atmospheric single-player campaign alone or co-op with friends
  • Develop your character through tactical real-time combat in single player and co-op scenarios, combining hundreds of skills and abilities, along with managing a huge amount of customizable items and equipment for an experience unique to every player
  • Survive  starvation, extreme weather conditions and injuries directly affecting your character’s well-being. Search for valuable technology and resources and find them in unexpected places
  • Break free from leveling systems, character classes and unwanted grind with a flexible classless system and storytelling encouraging unorthodox approaches.
  • Enjoy randomly generated events and missions in both single player and co-op that makes each of your playthroughs more unique and interesting
  • FREE post-release support - we will regularly release minor content updates, which will allow you to participate in various additional scenarios, each of them will add more depth and details to mysterious world of InSomnia. with rich storylines updated every 2-3 months with both single player and co-op in mind
  • Embark on non-linear quests and missions -each of them can be solved by using a variety of different (and sometimes unexpected) solutions
  • DRM Free & Steam version - backers will recieve both DRM Free and Steam versions of the game

Click to  download presentation scene

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1892480689/insomnia-an-rpg-set-in-a-brutal-dieselpunk-univers

@TheVoxelman on twitter

Check out my hype threads: Cyberpunk, and The Witcher 3!

Around the Network
Bristow9091 said:
I love how games like this only require as little as $70,000 to hit their target, yet these big developers and publishers complain that it's costing them too much to make games, and their budgets are way into the millions... it's crazy! Just goes to show who the real talented developers are...

This looks really interesting so I'm gonna' be donating when I get paid on Thursday!

Becuase they're stupid.

Is this that game that is developed by 'virtual studio', as in they do everything remotely over the net, or I mixed up something?

Looks promising, downloading presentation scene now.

Bristow9091 said:
I love how games like this only require as little as $70,000 to hit their target, yet these big developers and publishers complain that it's costing them too much to make games, and their budgets are way into the millions... it's crazy! Just goes to show who the real talented developers are...

This looks really interesting so I'm gonna' be donating when I get paid on Thursday!

Well the developers have been working on it for two years already out of their own pocket and in their spare time. And it's not like they are going to be earing a full wage for their work on the project even with $70k+ from Kickstarter. That is fine for a relatively small scale passion project but people working for an actual studio expect to be payed for their work and have other benefits like medical etc, studio space, the tools and resources they need (computers, middleware, profesional software etc), SAG accredited voice actors, performance capture, music licensing and/or compisition and recording, etc none of which comes cheap.

@TheVoxelman on twitter

Looks good. I'm in. I think a console release would be good eventually as well.

Around the Network

Setting looks cool, the art is awesome (hello BioShock 1), and even the sound is great.....but that combat looks a little iffy

Platinums: Red Dead Redemption, Killzone 2, LittleBigPlanet, Terminator Salvation, Uncharted 1, inFamous Second Son, Rocket League

zarx said:
Bristow9091 said:

Well the developers have been working on it for two years already out of their own pocket and in their spare time. And it's not like they are going to be earing a full wage for their work on the project even with $70k+ from Kickstarter. That is fine for a relatively small scale passion project but people working for an actual studio expect to be payed for their work and have other benefits like medical etc, studio space, the tools and resources they need (computers, middleware, profesional software etc), SAG accredited voice actors, performance capture, music licensing and/or compisition and recording, etc none of which comes cheap.

Right, anyone that actually thinks this is being created for $70K needs to use their head.

Its easy to make a game for $70K when the developers aren't actually getting paid for their time.

Recently Completed
River City: Rival Showdown
for 3DS (3/5) - River City: Tokyo Rumble for 3DS (4/5) - Zelda: BotW for Wii U (5/5) - Zelda: BotW for Switch (5/5) - Zelda: Link's Awakening for Switch (4/5) - Rage 2 for X1X (4/5) - Rage for 360 (3/5) - Streets of Rage 4 for X1/PC (4/5) - Gears 5 for X1X (5/5) - Mortal Kombat 11 for X1X (5/5) - Doom 64 for N64 (emulator) (3/5) - Crackdown 3 for X1S/X1X (4/5) - Infinity Blade III - for iPad 4 (3/5) - Infinity Blade II - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Infinity Blade - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Wolfenstein: The Old Blood for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Origins for X1 (3/5) - Uncharted: Lost Legacy for PS4 (4/5) - EA UFC 3 for X1 (4/5) - Doom for X1 (4/5) - Titanfall 2 for X1 (4/5) - Super Mario 3D World for Wii U (4/5) - South Park: The Stick of Truth for X1 BC (4/5) - Call of Duty: WWII for X1 (4/5) -Wolfenstein II for X1 - (4/5) - Dead or Alive: Dimensions for 3DS (4/5) - Marvel vs Capcom: Infinite for X1 (3/5) - Halo Wars 2 for X1/PC (4/5) - Halo Wars: DE for X1 (4/5) - Tekken 7 for X1 (4/5) - Injustice 2 for X1 (4/5) - Yakuza 5 for PS3 (3/5) - Battlefield 1 (Campaign) for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Syndicate for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: MW Remastered for X1 (4/5) - Donkey Kong Country Returns for 3DS (4/5) - Forza Horizon 3 for X1 (5/5)

Loaded up that presentation scene - OGRE engine, well that was a blast from the past.

It's seems highly unoptimized at this point, not sure they needed to show that scene in that state. And some strange decisions when it comes to lightning/shadows.

HoloDust said:
Loaded up that presentation scene - OGRE engine, well that was a blast from the past.

It's seems highly unoptimized at this point, not sure they needed to show that scene in that state. And some strange decisions when it comes to lightning/shadows.

Well they are looking for kickstarter money to polish the game. For a studio without a proven track record or any big names attached I think it's a good thing to show something to show that actual work has been done on the project so you don't run into issues like the Areal kickstarter where it looks like it might be a scam. I think people backing kickstarters like this should understand that games don't usually look or play well until the last few months of development. It's the same reason that E3 demos usually don't reflect the final product and companies love to show target renders and CGI trailers rather than early game footage. Otherwise you get EA's press conferance, look at the early builds they showed there from huge studios with lots of resources. Mirrors Edge for example has been in development for a couple years in it's current form and all they had to show was some greybox levels.

@TheVoxelman on twitter

zarx said:
HoloDust said:

Well they are looking for kickstarter money to polish the game. For a studio without a proven track record or any big names attached I think it's a good thing to show something to show that actual work has been done on the project so you don't run into issues like the Areal kickstarter where it looks like it might be a scam. I think people backing kickstarters like this should understand that games don't usually look or play well until the last few months of development. It's the same reason that E3 demos usually don't reflect the final product and companies love to show target renders and CGI trailers rather than early game footage. Otherwise you get EA's press conferance, look at the early builds they showed there from huge studios with lots of resources. Mirrors Edge for example has been in development for a couple years in it's current form and all they had to show was some greybox levels.

Yeah, I agree about optimizations, and while I apreciate that they've put some sort of hands-on experience for KS backers to see what it's all about, I don't think its doing them much help in the state it is.

I think they'd be better off with just KS page (which is quite good and informative) at this point...that scene doesn't look that complicated, and it's reeeeeally slugish on my wife's rig (HD7770), plus shadows are very wierd (you can block that light source from outside in one of camera views and see what I mean).

As for ME2...yeah, that was my biggest dissapointment of E3, after the whole year from last year's reaveal they couldn't show us some breathtaking vertical slice, instead opting for those "prototype scene" bollocks.