By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - "I don't get the point of TLOU Remastered"

It's basically a game of the year edition, except on a different console. Can't really complain but it is certainly no reason to get a PS4.

Around the Network
phaedruss said:
DerNebel said:

It#s the same as people that watched a movie before on DVD getting excited by an Blu Ray rerelease. Why shouldn't people get excited over the possibility of playing a game they loved in higher fidelity?

It's still the same game and it's not quite the same as going from DVD to blu-ray since TLOU was already in HD.

Yeah, it's still the same game, so? Can people not replay games? I don't wanna appear aggressive but seriously it's a brilliant game with a lot of followers, so why shouldn't some of those followers want to replay it with better graphics and framerate.

Or is the reason just that the game is only a year old? Is it justified to want to replay a ten year old game with better graphics but not a one year old game with better graphics? Who makes that decision?

Euphoria14 said:

They must also not understand the point of Wind Waker HD, GTA V on PS4/XBone or GoTY Editions.

Actually I don't see anyone really complaining about those, but PS4 is winning right now, so TLoU warrants complaining, since it costs $50, just like WWHD and actually less than your typical GoTY Edition.

Just ignore those people.

Except TLoU is a game that was released a year and a half ago with no original plans to bring it to the PS4. The new "remastered" version is only a graphics increase with DLC. Meanwhile, WWHD is a decade old game which was truly remastered, and GTA4 was planned to come to the nextgen platforms regardless.

The bottom line is this: TLoU: RM is a port. No more and no less. When people get excited for a port, thats when you know they have no games to play.

It's meant to appeal to the new adopters (from wii-360 to PS4) and to people that will buy the game again to play it in 1080 p 60fps.

I'm just sad of this needing to exist, if the PS4 had backwards compatibility, this wouldn't be necessary. Consoles are advancing day by day while at the same time not being able to play older games. Most of PS3 abandoned the option to play PS1 and PS2 games, half the DS models didn't alow GBA gaes, PS4 has no backwards option, the XBox brand has yet to make a backwards compatible system...
I understand the GCube and the Vita because they changed format completely, there is a hardware reason (hell, in the SNES/Genesis era you could play older games thanks to add-ons) PS4 and XBone, as powerful and capable as they are, don't give you the option to play your older games, so you have to re-purchase them digitally or in remastered versions. So sad.

You know it deserves the GOTY.

Come join The 2018 Obscure Game Monthly Review Thread.

DerNebel said:
kirby007 said:
Its gonna do great, but it's not gonna increase the userbase of people who play the game

So you think it'll be exclusively bought by people that played the game on PS3 before? Highly unlikely imo.

not exclusively, but the opposite effect of switchers from 360 towards the ps4 won't be the major drive either

edit: purely speculating

"I think people should define the word crap" - Kirby007

Join the Prediction League http://www.vgchartz.com/predictions

Instead of seeking to convince others, we can be open to changing our own minds, and seek out information that contradicts our own steadfast point of view. Maybe it’ll turn out that those who disagree with you actually have a solid grasp of the facts. There’s a slight possibility that, after all, you’re the one who’s wrong.

Around the Network
Darwinianevolution said:

It's meant to appeal to the new adopters (from wii-360 to PS4) and to people that will buy the game again to play it in 1080 p 60fps.

I'm just sad of this needing to exist, if the PS4 had backwards compatibility, this wouldn't be necessary. Consoles are advancing day by day while at the same time not being able to play older games. Most of PS3 abandoned the option to play PS1 and PS2 games, half the DS models didn't alow GBA gaes, PS4 has no backwards option, the XBox brand has yet to make a backwards compatible system...
I understand the GCube and the Vita because they changed format completely, there is a hardware reason (hell, in the SNES/Genesis era you could play older games thanks to add-ons) PS4 and XBone, as powerful and capable as they are, don't give you the option to play your older games, so you have to re-purchase them digitally or in remastered versions. So sad.

Backwards compatibiliy is stupid.

In this day and age, with the Internet, ignorance is a choice! And they're still choosing Ignorance! - Dr. Filthy Frank

Blob said:
It's basically a game of the year edition, except on a different console. Can't really complain but it is certainly no reason to get a PS4.

Why not? An X360 user who is debating moving into 8th gen, this could be an enticing exclusive, a game acclaimed by critics and users alike. And with a great deal on a bundle, at least in Europe, this could sell really well.

Also, Sony has stated that 30% of PS4 users are new to the brand, so there's an already existing base of some 2 million people. If the game sells to only 20% of them, the game will sell 400K, and Sony will make a neat bundle of cash for a very affordable investment. And I think nobody expects the sales to be that low.

Euphoria14 said:

They must also not understand the point of Wind Waker HD, GTA V on PS4/XBone or GoTY Editions.

Actually I don't see anyone really complaining about those, but PS4 is winning right now, so TLoU warrants complaining, since it costs $50, just like WWHD and actually less than your typical GoTY Edition.

Just ignore those people.

I came here to post this, then realized i must have already done so as my alter ego in my sleep while in a state of euphoria!!!

I for one didn't buy the last of us or GTAV cause I had a feeling they were coming to the PS4. With the amount of PS2 remasters it was kinda a no brainer. Now all they have to do is announce beyond two souls too... since i skipped that one too.

Dr.Henry_Killinger said:

Backwards compatibiliy is stupid.

from a financial PoV yes, but as service for your clients, it's greatly appriciated

"I think people should define the word crap" - Kirby007

Join the Prediction League http://www.vgchartz.com/predictions

Instead of seeking to convince others, we can be open to changing our own minds, and seek out information that contradicts our own steadfast point of view. Maybe it’ll turn out that those who disagree with you actually have a solid grasp of the facts. There’s a slight possibility that, after all, you’re the one who’s wrong.

DerNebel said:
phaedruss said:
DerNebel said:

It#s the same as people that watched a movie before on DVD getting excited by an Blu Ray rerelease. Why shouldn't people get excited over the possibility of playing a game they loved in higher fidelity?

It's still the same game and it's not quite the same as going from DVD to blu-ray since TLOU was already in HD.

Yeah, it's still the same game, so? Can people not replay games? I don't wanna appear aggressive but seriously it's a brilliant game with a lot of followers, so why shouldn't some of those followers want to replay it with better graphics and framerate.

Or is the reason just that the game is only a year old? Is it justified to want to replay a ten year old game with better graphics but not a one year old game with better graphics? Who makes that decision?

Meh, it's a decent game. As someone else said it's kind of like a game of the year edition. I don't see any reason to get excited about that. If you want to play it fine, but yea nothing too exciting.