By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Politics Discussion - Is raising minimum wage nationwide a horrible idea?

I don't think you should be getting $15.00 an/hr for saying do you want fries with that.. People complain you can't raise a family working at McDonalds/Fast food well.... Your not suppose to be able to. They are extremely low skill wage jobs that are mainly used to keep teens employed.

I think it's a really bad idea that will end up killing businesses and jobs.

Around the Network
chuckyj1 said:
I don't think you should be getting $15.00 an/hr for saying do you want fries with that.. People complain you can't raise a family working at McDonalds/Fast food well.... Your not suppose to be able to. They are extremely low skill wage jobs that are mainly used to keep teens employed.

You just argued that those were stupid no skill jobs only there to keep teens employed and now you complain they will diseappear ?

Make up your mind...

PS3-Xbox360 gap : 1.5 millions and going up in PS3 favor !

PS3-Wii gap : 20 millions and going down !

IkePoR said:
Blob said:
IkePoR said:

That... completely doesn't answer my question

The wiggle room is the fact that you can get a job thats not minimum wage. Oh and those who earn minimum wage get tax offsets.

That answered me.  Thanks, makes sense.

Sorry if the first comment didn't make sense. I know that it's not a perfect situation for everybody, but theres always going to be someone at the bottom of the ladder complaining that it's not fair. I earned 30,000 AUD this financial year and I live quite comfortably despite the fact the the price of products here in Australia is far more expensive than the USA. There is no way I could have kids with this income though, hence why I wont even consider the prospect until I graduate from Uni and get a proper Job thats pays well above minimum wage.

Ail said:
chuckyj1 said:

You just argued that those were stupid no skill jobs only there to keep teens employed and now you complain they will diseappear ?

Make up your mind...

It will cut deep into profits of companies and will cut jobs in the process.  It may eliminate small start up companies that can't afford to pay every employee AT MINIMUM $15.  Now that minimum wage is 15 that will bump up manager wages so on and so forth.  There is a bigger impact than just paying low Skill wage teenagers $15.  Do you think it takes a lot of skill to push buttons on a cash register?  No way in hell a job like that should start at $15 an hr. Much like making a cup of pre-made coffee?  You seriously think those jobs should start out at $15?  For the amount of skill that needs to be put into it?  You don't see the bigger picture..

ikki5 said:
mtxamaze9142 said:
Glad i live in Texas where u dont need a college degree to make 25/hour

yeah but is that 25/hr job something you would actually want to do and enjoy doing?

Irrelevant. Most things people want to do are not ventures that are profitable and therefore not worth any money. It's not called work because it's fun and easier. That is just a bonus.

"We'll toss the dice however they fall,
And snuggle the girls be they short or tall,
Then follow young Mat whenever he calls,
To dance with Jak o' the Shadows."

Check out MyAnimeList and my Game Collection. Owner of the 5 millionth post.

Around the Network
outlawauron said:

Well this is entirely wrong. It's not about making back the decreases but increasing profitability. Still being profitable isn't acceptable. So, in order to maintain that same level of profit, they're going to increase the price. Increases in taxation, minimum wage, and regulation lead to very fast increases in prices of the goods and services provided.

Yay for ridiculous price increases without minimum wage increases then, right?

People who have to look for a minimum wage job or have been working one for five years are getting the shaft because they're going further in debt when prices continually increase year after year with a minimal increase to their pay from corporate America.  $.10-.20 hourly per year doesn't cover the mark up literally every item on store shelves get. 

Euphoria14 said:
Naum said:
It's very easy for people who doesn't live on minimum wages to say that raising it is wrong.

Typical American thinking.

No, it's the people who work their asses off in high skilled jobs who wonder why they don't also see the benefits of a wage bump. They only get to see the increase in prices to go along with it.

Say I make $19/hour working my job, which requires computer knowledge, knowledge of the aerospace industry, direct contact with customers and suppliers and directing work flow from the stock room to the assembly floor and ultimately to shipping, why does a guy flipping burgers get $15? That would me make look even more underpaid.

A job that can be done by a high school freshman should not pay close to work that requires actual skill.

If you get a $5 bump to drop fries in grease then I better see a bump too, since this hike only benefits miminum wage workers at the expense of people like me.

Want to be a minimum wage worker? That is fine, but don't buy phones, pay for cable or internet or have video games. Ride a bike to work and don't worry about having a car and paying for insurance and gas.

It's the price you pay. I know, I used to work at McDonalds. I used to work at Sports Authority. I broke my ass and moved up, then used my cridentials to move to another job and now work Aerospace, where I began as a stock room clerk and now work as an Expeditor.

You want more money? Earn it, like I did. Earn it, like my girl did, with me picking up extra shifts so she can drop out of work and go back to school. She went from $8/hour at Petco to now making $32/hour doing in home pediatric care. We did this while also having a new born. If I can do it you can too.

Yeah I might sounds like an asshole, but I am tired of people expecting everything to just be handed to them so they can live and have nice thing, especially when they don't end up being the one paying for it all.

No responses to this post...

kupomogli said:
outlawauron said:

Well this is entirely wrong. It's not about making back the decreases but increasing profitability. Still being profitable isn't acceptable. So, in order to maintain that same level of profit, they're going to increase the price. Increases in taxation, minimum wage, and regulation lead to very fast increases in prices of the goods and services provided.

Yay for ridiculous price increases without minimum wage increases then, right?

People who have to look for a minimum wage job or have been working one for five years are getting the shaft because they're going further in debt when prices continually increase year after year with a minimal increase to their pay from corporate America.  $.10-.20 hourly per year doesn't cover the mark up literally every item on store shelves get. 

Sucks to be an mediorce employee who doesn't make an impact on the business. Every person I've known who has worked at big box retail/fast food has gotten much larger raises (10-20x) in a year.

Also, outside of oil, what has had ridiculous price increases that were the result of inflation and not regulation.

outlawauron said:

Sucks to be an mediorce employee who doesn't make an impact on the business. Every person I've known who has worked at big box retail/fast food has gotten much larger raises (10-20x) in a year.

Also, outside of oil, what has had ridiculous price increases that were the result of inflation and not regulation.

Food  comes in smaller packages and/or is higher priced than it was a couple years ago.  I'm not going to go into detail as around 90% of food products, junk food or not has had huge increases.  Ramen noodles are over twice the cost they were 15 years ago.  $.25 for four on sale or $.35 for one instead of $.10.

chuckyj1 said:
Ail said:
chuckyj1 said:

Make up your mind...

It will cut deep into profits of companies and will cut jobs in the process.  It may eliminate small start up companies that can't afford to pay every employee AT MINIMUM $15.  Now that minimum wage is 15 that will bump up manager wages so on and so forth.  There is a bigger impact than just paying low Skill wage teenagers $15.  Do you think it takes a lot of skill to push buttons on a cash register?  No way in hell a job like that should start at $15 an hr. Much like making a cup of pre-made coffee?  You seriously think those jobs should start out at $15?  For the amount of skill that needs to be put into it?  You don't see the bigger picture..

I do not see the point of paying people a wage that you know will not be able for them to survive.( in the end the government has to come up with the missing money in the form of foodstamps, tax cut and so on, so basically those jobs are government sponsored jobs...)

As for the profits of companies , they have never been as high as they are now, Wall Mart could pay every of its minimum wage employees 15$/hour and not see a bleep in its financial results...

PS3-Xbox360 gap : 1.5 millions and going up in PS3 favor !

PS3-Wii gap : 20 millions and going down !