By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - What's a good game to play in front of a non-gaming girlfriend?

Tagged games:

I don't, I love to know that a game room also can be used for physical activity!

"I think people should define the word crap" - Kirby007

Join the Prediction League http://www.vgchartz.com/predictions

Instead of seeking to convince others, we can be open to changing our own minds, and seek out information that contradicts our own steadfast point of view. Maybe it’ll turn out that those who disagree with you actually have a solid grasp of the facts. There’s a slight possibility that, after all, you’re the one who’s wrong.

Around the Network

I think Journey is a really great game to show to non-gamers. Also if she likes it you could play it from beginning to end in one session as it is not that long. I also could imagine that she may be want to play it herself, and Journey is, I think, pretty friendly to gaming newcomers.

Journey counters common prejudices so well (if your girlfriend should have prejudices towards video games at all).

i was in the same boat recently so i dusted my ps3 off and got south park - that way she took the controls and i did the fight scenes and explained to her how i did it.

when we completed this - i set her a profile up and got her into La Noire as she can opt not to drive to the cases and just take the cases. she's now got addicted to this, got her level up to 3 just off this one game and is 2 trophies away from a Platinum (I dont even have one yet). I just played wolfenstein via the Vita / PS4 whilst she's playing it.

I have uncharted 2 lined up next as thias introduces right thumbstick camera controls, duck and cover controls - on top of this Naughty dogsa skill levels are very varied for beginners.

Me said:
i was in the same boat recently so i dusted my ps3 off and got south park - that way she took the controls and i did the fight scenes and explained to her how i did it.

when we completed this - i set her a profile up and got her into La Noire as she can opt not to drive to the cases and just take the cases. she's now got addicted to this, got her level up to 3 just off this one game and is 2 trophies away from a Platinum (I dont even have one yet). I just played wolfenstein via the Vita / PS4 whilst she's playing it.

I have uncharted 2 lined up next as thias introduces right thumbstick camera controls, duck and cover controls - on top of this Naughty dogsa skill levels are very varied for beginners.

i got out and dusted off Fallout 3 as i thought wihilst my ps3 is out i'm gonna go through that again but i have warned her to stay the hell away from that game as that ones mine...

d21lewis said:
Troll_Whisperer said:
Whatever you feel like playing, regardless of her presence. If you wanna be comfortable with your hobby around her, you gotta start now and make sure she accepts it. She can do whatever she likes while you play.

I mean, you don't even have to like each other's hobbies and honestly she's probably never going to give a shit regardless. My wife tried for me to like musicals and ballet, but God knows I'm never going to give a rat's ass about them and she's come to accept this and enjoy them without me.

If it's a new relationship I'd recommend you to start by doing things you both like. Then move straight to the "I feel like playing a game, you do whatever you like" phase. If you like each other enough you should be comfortable with that. My wife now plays some games with me every now and the (she likes Rayman), after she accepted it as normal.

Then again, I'm just a random dude on the internet. Just saying what worked for me.

I understand and you're probably correct in everything you say.  What happened was that I met this young lady on June 10th.  She came to my house one day and I gave her the tour.  She said "You play video games? I wanna watch you play one." To which I responded something like "Hell no!"

I thought it would be a good idea for a thread, after she left.  I tend to know my audience.  I have games like Wario Ware, Peggle, Dance Central, Wheel of Fortune,etc for jusst such an occasion.  She's not a gamer at all but she was trying to feign interest in something I'm obviously into.  A lot of people in this thread are saying "pay attention to her" or "don't play a game" and I'm like; Really?  No shit!  

At least you did offer a good reply but, at this point, I'm regretting this thread's very existence.

you somehow made this innocent thing sound really dirty / kinky - or is this just my mind?

Around the Network

Alan Wake works suprisingly well. The girl in question even got me to download the DLC for it so she could see the rest of the story lol

I've had a lot of success with non-gamers and Journey. But I think you should try and get her to play it.
As for games she could watch, something with a good story, like Last of Us (don't go searching for secret items though), and maybe something that's really impressive and pretty like Stardust.

PORTAL.... a warm, moist portal....

d21lewis said:

I understand and you're probably correct in everything you say.  What happened was that I met this young lady on June 10th.  She came to my house one day and I gave her the tour.  She said "You play video games? I wanna watch you play one." To which I responded something like "Hell no!"

I thought it would be a good idea for a thread, after she left.  I tend to know my audience.  I have games like Wario Ware, Peggle, Dance Central, Wheel of Fortune,etc for jusst such an occasion.  She's not a gamer at all but she was trying to feign interest in something I'm obviously into.  A lot of people in this thread are saying "pay attention to her" or "don't play a game" and I'm like; Really?  No shit!  

At least you did offer a good reply but, at this point, I'm regretting this thread's very existence.

There is NEVER an occasion for those games. Get something fun and simple (tetris, stardust, castle crashers), or something with a brilliant story (last of us, uncharted 2, journey, la noire)

LA Noire is a good choice as well because it actually MAKES her play the game too as she can't help but look at the character expressions and try to figure out if the person is lying.

I would not recommend heavy rain. The game is great, but it's also "too real". She'd look at that and wonder why you play a soap opera game. For the same reason I would not recommend metal gear. The story is too long.

Honestly, I think your best games for this are:
LA Noire (lead character is the actor from Mad Men, which she probably watches)
Journey (A beautiful game, short and sweet)
Last of Us (brilliant story, interesting characters, nice tension)

EEJLND said:
I think Journey is a really great game to show to non-gamers. Also if she likes it you could play it from beginning to end in one session as it is not that long. I also could imagine that she may be want to play it herself, and Journey is, I think, pretty friendly to gaming newcomers.

Journey counters common prejudices so well (if your girlfriend should have prejudices towards video games at all).

lol You read my mind!

Though, I really think that's a game she should play on her own. Playing it in front of her kinda takes away from the experience.
There's just something about discovering how to interact with other players using the whistles and jumping up and down that can't be shown.