By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - I Honestly think consoles are a dying breed, just like handhelds

Ka-pi96 said:
Danman27 said:
Ka-pi96 said:

It really isn't easy though. I've tried it and the picture came out all pixelated. Not to mention how cumbersome a PC is and the need for drivers and updates and anti virus and stuff.

you're no more likely to get a virus playing a game on a pc or console. You need to update drivers on consoles. If a picture came out pixelated on a monitor that you plugged a PC into, you either didn't plug it in tight enough, you had a broken cable, or one of the connections was broken. So all I can say is sorry you have a broken device for that one. 

I've never ever heard of a virus on a console. And no I don't need to update drivers on consoles, it's all done automatically for me. I wouldn't even notice if a new update had been downloaded and installed, no hassle at all.

I'm saying playing games and downloading them through steam and origin will not give you viruses. Navigating the internet can give you viruses, but I'm assuming you have a computer anyways. What I'm trying to say is that gaming and getting viruses on PC aren't related. I also don't have anti-viruse software and I have no viruses or malware on my computer. Driver updates aren't necessary. They're optional to update. I usually update once or twice are year, and they give me noticably performance boosts. Other than that, most updates are also automatic on PC games. Are PC's slightly more difficult? Yes, slightly. But anyone could figure out how to use one with very minimal effort. 

Around the Network

Consoles are far from dying. The support from developers will keep it going and many people prefer it over PC. I have a gaming PC but only play minecraft on it. Because that is simple to load and play. The amount of clients and accounts you need to play on PC is retarded. Steam, origin, uplay, windows live, GOG the list is endless. Thats without the performance issues on some games and costs of upgrading specs. With a console, plug in and play and apart from the odd patch it really is that simple. PS4 is much like PC but sony has done well in making it simple to use. Even though i can work out issues on PC normally i don't want to deal with that stuff. One more point, consoles (even Xbox One!) are alot more portable than gaming PC's and i know that as i have to move around since i'm a student

I don't think handhelds will die out as quickly as some people think either due to the dedicated but small fanbases around both Vita and 3ds. They are still dedicated to the platforms. Much better than phones although that is another story.

Xbox One, PS4 and Switch (+ Many Retro Consoles)

'When the people are being beaten with a stick, they are not much happier if it is called the people's stick'- Mikhail Bakunin

Prediction: Switch will sell better than Wii U Lifetime Sales by Jan 1st 2018

Danman27 said:
Ka-pi96 said:
Danman27 said:
Ka-pi96 said:

It really isn't easy though. I've tried it and the picture came out all pixelated. Not to mention how cumbersome a PC is and the need for drivers and updates and anti virus and stuff.

you're no more likely to get a virus playing a game on a pc or console. You need to update drivers on consoles. If a picture came out pixelated on a monitor that you plugged a PC into, you either didn't plug it in tight enough, you had a broken cable, or one of the connections was broken. So all I can say is sorry you have a broken device for that one. 

I've never ever heard of a virus on a console. And no I don't need to update drivers on consoles, it's all done automatically for me. I wouldn't even notice if a new update had been downloaded and installed, no hassle at all.

I'm saying playing games and downloading them through steam and origin will not give you viruses. Navigating the internet can give you viruses, but I'm assuming you have a computer anyways. What I'm trying to say is that gaming and getting viruses on PC aren't related. I also don't have anti-viruse software and I have no viruses or malware on my computer. Driver updates aren't necessary. They're optional to update. I usually update once or twice are year, and they give me noticably performance boosts. Other than that, most updates are also automatic on PC games. Are PC's slightly more difficult? Yes, slightly. But anyone could figure out how to use one with very minimal effort. 

Depends how dilligent you are when it comes to downloading mods. Some are outright scams, some hosted on dodgy websites. Just playing the base game won't give you viruses/malware indeed. Although Origin might be considered malware.
http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/read/9.403793-EAs-Origin-allows-malware-to-hijack-your-computer Yup totally safe...

SvennoJ said:
Danman27 said:
Ka-pi96 said:
Danman27 said:
Ka-pi96 said:

Depends how dilligent you are when it comes to downloading mods. Some are outright scams, some hosted on dodgy websites. Just playing the base game won't give you viruses/malware indeed. Although Origin might be considered malware.
http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/read/9.403793-EAs-Origin-allows-malware-to-hijack-your-computer Yup totally safe...

You  just gave PC gaming a MASSIVE advantage with the trade off of a tiny disadvantage. You can't judge things based on a different set of standards. If you're ranking them solely for gaming, a PC is no more dangerous than a console. Now if we're talking about modding, yes, it's slightly more dangerous. But keep in mind that CONSOLES DON'T HAVE MODS! In skyrim and fallout, there are mods that add a map that nearly half the size of the actual map... for free! And there's not just one, there's several of those. These people add voice acting and everything for absolutely no pay. There's mods to numerous games that make them look near photorealistic. Google skyrim 100 mods. It's one of the most beautiful things you'll see. Why am I talking about skyrim so much? Because almost every mod worth having is on the steam workshop. Which essentially is the free DLC shop. Then there are huge mods like that for numerous games. And small ones for almost every game that's out. Keep in mind, if you don't mod it, you'll have all the content a console game has except with better graphics. Bringing mods into the argument was a bad choice sir because, once again, you've shot yourself in the foot because you just decided to bring Mods into the argument to try and argue against playing on the pc. 

Danman27 said:
SvennoJ said:

You  just gave PC gaming a MASSIVE advantage with the trade off of a tiny disadvantage. You can't judge things based on a different set of standards. If you're ranking them solely for gaming, a PC is no more dangerous than a console. Now if we're talking about modding, yes, it's slightly more dangerous. But keep in mind that CONSOLES DON'T HAVE MODS! In skyrim and fallout, there are mods that add a map that nearly half the size of the actual map... for free! And there's not just one, there's several of those. These people add voice acting and everything for absolutely no pay. There's mods to numerous games that make them look near photorealistic. Google skyrim 100 mods. It's one of the most beautiful things you'll see. Why am I talking about skyrim so much? Because almost every mod worth having is on the steam workshop. Which essentially is the free DLC shop. Then there are huge mods like that for numerous games. And small ones for almost every game that's out. Keep in mind, if you don't mod it, you'll have all the content a console game has except with better graphics. Bringing mods into the argument was a bad choice sir because, once again, you've shot yourself in the foot because you just decided to bring Mods into the argument to try and argue against playing on the pc. 

Not my experience with mods. They mostly bring a working game down to it's knees on my pc. A lot are more hassle than they're worth. In contrast every LBP level I've downloaded on ps3 works flawlessly. Sure most suck but never any performance issues.
Anyway it's not an argument against pc gaming in general, it's just not as great as people always make it out to be. I have had the occasional virus from downloading FSX mods, mods have crashed my games, introduced bad glitches, or slowed them down to a crawl.

Nowadays I rather play the base game than tinker around with mods. But if you like mods than sure pc is the place to be. Priorities shift when game time becomes limited later in life. I rather spend 1% configuring vs 99% playing the base game, while some people are fine with 80% configuring / taking screenshot and 20% playing a much better looking game.

Steam workshop is a great addition, but again if you don't have a big overhead in power you're likely to run into problems. 80% of the time it works great, 20% you're scratching your head, why is it not working... It's awesome to add user made maps to games, cities in motion 2 was pretty much build on that premise. It only includes a few generic base maps. Lazy if you ask me, but I guess they figured people would use the workshop to download maps from cities they know anyway.

Around the Network

I'd rather have a PS4/ XOne then a PC if I'm gaming. None of the hardware advantages can nullify the quality of games coming from MS & Sony's first party along with the third party support.

SvennoJ said:
Danman27 said:
SvennoJ said:

Not my experience with mods. They mostly bring a working game down to it's knees on my pc. A lot are more hassle than they're worth. In contrast every LBP level I've downloaded on ps3 works flawlessly. Sure most suck but never any performance issues.
Anyway it's not an argument against pc gaming in general, it's just not as great as people always make it out to be. I have had the occasional virus from downloading FSX mods, mods have crashed my games, introduced bad glitches, or slowed them down to a crawl.

Nowadays I rather play the base game than tinker around with mods. But if you like mods than sure pc is the place to be. Priorities shift when game time becomes limited later in life. I rather spend 1% configuring vs 99% playing the base game, while some people are fine with 80% configuring / taking screenshot and 20% playing a much better looking game.

Steam workshop is a great addition, but again if you don't have a big overhead in power you're likely to run into problems. 80% of the time it works great, 20% you're scratching your head, why is it not working... It's awesome to add user made maps to games, cities in motion 2 was pretty much build on that premise. It only includes a few generic base maps. Lazy if you ask me, but I guess they figured people would use the workshop to download maps from cities they know anyway.

You're distracting from the point though. First off, you're the one that brought mods into the argument, and this response seems to be acting as if I randomly brought it up. I also don't get the whole lbp argument. You're not modding with lbp. You're playing the game the way it's meant to be (side note, can't wait for LBP3!). You're also forgetting about the steam workshop. That's one of the best ideas steam has came up with. I usually don't mod a game unless the mods are on the steam workshop. These people create maps as vivid as the actual game. The skyrim mod I mentioned earlier many people actually consider it a better story than what bethesda came up with. Also, 80% configuring? The most difficult game I've modded was Fall out, which doesn't work on the workshop, and it took me about 30 minutes to set up everything. That's really not that big of a deal. 

Danman27 said:
SvennoJ said:

You're distracting from the point though. First off, you're the one that brought mods into the argument, and this response seems to be acting as if I randomly brought it up. I also don't get the whole lbp argument. You're not modding with lbp. You're playing the game the way it's meant to be (side note, can't wait for LBP3!). You're also forgetting about the steam workshop. That's one of the best ideas steam has came up with. I usually don't mod a game unless the mods are on the steam workshop. These people create maps as vivid as the actual game. The skyrim mod I mentioned earlier many people actually consider it a better story than what bethesda came up with. Also, 80% configuring? The most difficult game I've modded was Fall out, which doesn't work on the workshop, and it took me about 30 minutes to set up everything. That's really not that big of a deal. 

I just mentioned mods since I have received a virus that way in the past. (Not through Steam workshop, Steam didn't even exist yet lol)

Modding or making maps / levels, same thing to me. LBP is designed that way, well Doom already had a map editor (was awesome) and I was replacing textures in Wolfenstein 3D before that, and hex editing civ.exe run-time library before that to radically alter how the game plays out.

I already said Steam workshop is a great idea, it came too late for me though. No more uploading/downloading for all kinds of community websites but have it all in 1 place is awesome. I've only used it for Cities in motion 2, made a map of my town and played some maps from where I grew up. I wish it had been around when I was still active, I lost most of my creations over the years.

What I meant with the 80/20 is I started running into the paradox of choice with my pc gaming. Too many options, I spend more time downloading and getting mods / planes / maps / airports / hd texture packs whatever to work instead of playing the game. Try it out, check what else is there, repeat.
I'll certainly get LBP3, try out other people's creations and maybe make my own again (always so much more work than it seems), but that's as far as I'll go nowadays. Too many options on pc for me (when it comes to game altering mods). I'm more of a BK man instead of Subway, I always end up with a Frankenstein sandwhich in that place :)

Anyway I don't see consoles dying. Mods have nothing to do with that. Someone who likes to play on consoles for the convenience is not interested in tinkering with 3rd party mods.

SvennoJ said:
Danman27 said:
SvennoJ said:

I just mentioned mods since I have received a virus that way in the past. (Not through Steam workshop, Steam didn't even exist yet lol)

Modding or making maps / levels, same thing to me. LBP is designed that way, well Doom already had a map editor (was awesome) and I was replacing textures in Wolfenstein 3D before that, and hex editing civ.exe run-time library before that to radically alter how the game plays out.

I already said Steam workshop is a great idea, it came too late for me though. No more uploading/downloading for all kinds of community websites but have it all in 1 place is awesome. I've only used it for Cities in motion 2, made a map of my town and played some maps from where I grew up. I wish it had been around when I was still active, I lost most of my creations over the years.

What I meant with the 80/20 is I started running into the paradox of choice with my pc gaming. Too many options, I spend more time downloading and getting mods / planes / maps / airports / hd texture packs whatever to work instead of playing the game. Try it out, check what else is there, repeat.
I'll certainly get LBP3, try out other people's creations and maybe make my own again (always so much more work than it seems), but that's as far as I'll go nowadays. Too many options on pc for me (when it comes to game altering mods). I'm more of a BK man instead of Subway, I always end up with a Frankenstein sandwhich in that place :)

Anyway I don't see consoles dying. Mods have nothing to do with that. Someone who likes to play on consoles for the convenience is not interested in tinkering with 3rd party mods.

I agree with the last two paragraphs, and I don't get why mods were ever brought into the argument honestly. I don't understand how more openess is a disadvantage though. The argument started out as me stating that it's blatantly wrong to say that you can't hook up a PC to a big screen tv. Now it's somehow turned into this. PC is as open or closed as you want it to be. Consoles aren't dying anytime soon, neither are PCs. 

Intrinsic said:
I could tell you how wrong you are and how you obviously have no idea what you are talking about, but in truth if you can't understand what makes consoles relevant as opposed to PCs on your own... then you wouldn't understand what i would say either.

I'll say this much though... handhelds are becoming obsolete cause something is directly replacing them in the very same space and form factor they are in. If you make a PC in the same form factor that a console is in and to compete directly with consoles... well, then you will find what you end up with is................. you guessed it!!! A console!!

Im not so sure i agree with you.

SteamBox is going to be big for those who are interested in all the benefits of PC gaming, but dont want any of the faff that comes with owning a PC so have just stuck with consoles for now.

Though steambox isnt the best example of what could be done, i think its a step in a direction that is inevitable - The phasing out of proprietary hardware, and the phasing in of user customisation.

Current Game Machines: 3DS, Wii U, PC.

Currently Playing: X-Com(PC), Smash Bros(WiiU), Banner Saga(PC), Guild Wars 2(PC), Project X Zone(3DS), Luigis Mansion 2(3DS), DayZ(PC)