By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - I Honestly think consoles are a dying breed, just like handhelds

RazorDragon said:
soulfly666 said:
famousringo said:
Zadainie said:
I stopped reading at "poor man's pc."You should take into consideration that most people don't have the money to buy high end PCs.I prefer consoles any day over PC.Why spend all that money buying $2000+ PC when I can get a console and a bunch of games for less?

$2,000?

This guy makes a few mistakes and admits to some shortcomings, but he gets awfully close to building a PS4-equivalent for $400. Which should not surprise anybody, since "$400 gaming PC" is a pretty accurate description of the PS4.

http://www.extremetech.com/gaming/171158-can-you-build-a-gaming-pc-better-than-the-ps4-for-400

Honestly, even if you spend a couple hundred dollars extra to round out the PC, you will easily be able to make up the difference in Steam sales and online fees. 

Money is no reason to choose console over PC at this point. The only compelling reasons I can see are low maintenance, exclusive software, and local multiplayer, and those last two seem to get weaker every generation as development costs increase and publishers keep chasing "the Hollywood experience."

The PC in his article is not even close to as good as a PS4.

Actually, it's pretty much a match for the PS4. Not really sure why he's using a Intel CPU and Mobo, though, I'm quite sure an AMD solution would make price even lower.

His build has ddr3 ram when the pS4 has GDDR5 and ram is used in HSA 2.0 for both CPU and GPU.  It has no gamepad, no operating system, no blu ray drive (or any drive) and is way larger.  And to say the celeron 1610 processor is comparable to the PS4 processing power is totally false.  It may be true right now, but in 2 years minimum when new games are using considerably more power (i.e. more than 2 simultaneous threads) the 2 core Celeron won't even remotely compete with the 8 core Jaguar.  Also, I am 90% sure that video card won't even fit into the case he chose?  I also don't think 400w is enough power for his choices, and it can't play Sony exclusives. His PC build being on par with a PS4 is completely theoretical.

Around the Network
PullusPardus said:

consoles have become pointless, since they're using the same architecture as a pc, and they're basically all about software updates and downloads nowadays, I don't see what's the point of them anymore, they Have become a poor man's pc,

You can argue they're cheaper but so are PCS, you can get a better pc for the same price and upgrade it from there, and that will last you till your motherboard explodes (forever), you get cheaper games, more functionality, more room for tweaking and more ways to play, also free online and unrestricted services.

Look I'm not saying this as a pc gamer I'm saying this as a fellow gamer, handhelds have buttons over phones, consoles have nothing over PCS so what's the point of them nowadays? In the old days it made a lot more sense, consoles were meant to be "plug in and play" experience as in you buy a game from the store and you stick it on the console and play, now you buy it off the store and install it, and then download the patch and hope everything works fine, what difference is there from a PC? I would love to hear what you think the difference is. 

Now developers are always talking about graphics and how much 1080p 60 fps their game is, it's like you bought a console so you can argue about specs on the Internet instead of playing it,  and then comes ps5 with PS4 games with updated graphics "how it's meant to be played" crap by developers,  and the sad thing people always get sucked into that pr bullshit, I could argue for a long time but tell me, whats so different about a PS4 and a PC? 

1) Being a cheap way to play great games is far from pointless.

2) You CANNOT build a PC as strong as a PS4 for $400.

3) The PS4 and even the Xbox One offer many features a PC cannot do as well (Or at all).

soulfly666 said:
famousringo said:
Zadainie said:
I stopped reading at "poor man's pc."You should take into consideration that most people don't have the money to buy high end PCs.I prefer consoles any day over PC.Why spend all that money buying $2000+ PC when I can get a console and a bunch of games for less?

$2,000?

This guy makes a few mistakes and admits to some shortcomings, but he gets awfully close to building a PS4-equivalent for $400. Which should not surprise anybody, since "$400 gaming PC" is a pretty accurate description of the PS4.

http://www.extremetech.com/gaming/171158-can-you-build-a-gaming-pc-better-than-the-ps4-for-400

Honestly, even if you spend a couple hundred dollars extra to round out the PC, you will easily be able to make up the difference in Steam sales and online fees. 

Money is no reason to choose console over PC at this point. The only compelling reasons I can see are low maintenance, exclusive software, and local multiplayer, and those last two seem to get weaker every generation as development costs increase and publishers keep chasing "the Hollywood experience."

The PC in his article is not even close to as good as a PS4.

LOL I just checked the article as well!  That PC isn't even half as strong as a PS4!  Hell an Xbox One is a bit more powerful! (Which shows that this guy is either terrible at configuring good PC's for the money or he is trying to ironically prove how good of a deal the PS4 is).

Well I prefer consoles over PC because they get more J-RPG's and PC doesn't get Nintendo games ;) so you can't say consoles are useless for everyone.

Consoles and PCs are ultimately different, PC's don't interest me as gaming machines. I don't want to sit at my desk with a mouse and keyboard, so why spend half a grand on a mid-low range PC only to treat it like an oversized, cumbersome console?

Around the Network

Tbh a lot of people will probably go nuts at the OP but he has a point especially with how much more affordable good PC components are becoming, it may not be this gen but in future I can see it hurting consoles with the path the market wants to take.

Even though there is a somewhat valid argument against the existence of a future home console market, there are certain facts that contradict such an argument. These facts can easily be summoned as HIGH QUALITY EXCLUSIVE SOFTWARE. That is the key to any kind of future home console market.
As long as Nintendo, Sony, and Microsoft (or any other future home console hardware manufacturerer) can provide high quality exclusive software, there will be a home console market for their hardware products. As Always, it all comes down to software.

Captain_Tom said:
PullusPardus said:

consoles have become pointless, since they're using the same architecture as a pc, and they're basically all about software updates and downloads nowadays, I don't see what's the point of them anymore, they Have become a poor man's pc,

You can argue they're cheaper but so are PCS, you can get a better pc for the same price and upgrade it from there, and that will last you till your motherboard explodes (forever), you get cheaper games, more functionality, more room for tweaking and more ways to play, also free online and unrestricted services.

Look I'm not saying this as a pc gamer I'm saying this as a fellow gamer, handhelds have buttons over phones, consoles have nothing over PCS so what's the point of them nowadays? In the old days it made a lot more sense, consoles were meant to be "plug in and play" experience as in you buy a game from the store and you stick it on the console and play, now you buy it off the store and install it, and then download the patch and hope everything works fine, what difference is there from a PC? I would love to hear what you think the difference is. 

Now developers are always talking about graphics and how much 1080p 60 fps their game is, it's like you bought a console so you can argue about specs on the Internet instead of playing it,  and then comes ps5 with PS4 games with updated graphics "how it's meant to be played" crap by developers,  and the sad thing people always get sucked into that pr bullshit, I could argue for a long time but tell me, whats so different about a PS4 and a PC? 

3) The PS4 and even the Xbox One offer many features a PC cannot do as well (Or at all).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3f6INgYBmGo

You can, and even better.

PullusPardus said:
Captain_Tom said:
PullusPardus said:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3f6INgYBmGo

You can, and even better.

-It is half as strong as a PS4.  So yeah it is as strong as an X1, but big deal everyone knows it is overpriced.

-It doesn't include an OS so add $75-$100.  Do not bring up pirating because it is illegal and no where near as easy as some people make it out to be.

-It has 4GB of RAM and will be unable to run AAA games within a year.  6GB is the new minimum for builds.

Nice try, but you perfectly proved my point.

daredevil.shark said:
youarebadatgames said:

PC only gamers don't give a rats ass about cinema games and watered down shooters when we've already got the biggest and best genres around - LoL, Dota2, SC2, CS:Go, and MMORPGs.

I was unable to find LoL, Dota2, SC2, CS:Go, and MMORPG console petition. But I found this. Care to explain what is a rats ass?

Sorry, what are the top games I'm seeing on twitch.tv?  And how many CS:Go console tournaments are there?  What's the prize pool like for LoL vs top selling console game now?