By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Anyone else tired of the "indie boom"?

Yes.

At this point "indie" refers to a genre, not a dev making a game sans publisher.

The boom of smaller developers is great, but the problem is that the vast majority of them are making the exact same game. I'm appalled that describing a game as "indie" means it's a story based platformer nowadays. It's a stupid naming convention, and it's also replacing "shooters" as the next big overused genre.

Well, back to work. I need to finish my "indie" game.

Around the Network
curl-6 said:
Euphoria14 said:
curl-6 sai

Even the so-called "great" Indie games are mostly rubbish I found; Fez, Braid, Limbo, Cave Story, Minecraft, Super Meat Boy...

Sure, every now and then you find a gem in the avalanche of turds, but they're so rare it's hardly worth looking for the when proper games offer far less turds per gem. But that's just me.

I guess "Rubbish" is the in thing these days and you have just been left behind.

Minecraft, even years after release is the real deal these days. 55M+ and still going. Likely to eventually become the greatest selling game of all time and not only that, but it will do it without bundling.

That says enough.

For the record, I love Minecraft. So does my 5-year old daugher and my 8 & 10-year old nephews.

Get with the times pal.

Justin Beiber, Twilight, and McDonalds also sell boatloads, doesn't mean they're not rubbish.

And I don't have to "get with the times", because thankfully indies have not replaced proper games.

You know Platinum is an independent developer right?

iPhone = Great gaming device. Don't agree? Who cares, because you're wrong.

Currently playing:

Final Fantasy VI (iOS), Final Fantasy: Record Keeper (iOS) & Dragon Quest V (iOS)     

Got a retro room? Post it here!

spurgeonryan said:
You all think Minecraft will outsell Mario lifetime? How many times has the original Mario been sold? Minesweeper, Solitaire.^ @ last posts.

Indie games are no different than retail games. Some are good, some are shoddy.

Have official numbers for anything you just mentioned?

Have any of those sold what minecraft has without the help of being bundles with hardware?

Minecraft is a beast and a total phenomenon. It is what the kids play now, years after it's release and is as popular as ever. It has plenty of sales life left.

Currently playing:

Final Fantasy VI (iOS), Final Fantasy: Record Keeper (iOS) & Dragon Quest V (iOS)     

steverhcp02 said:
fps_d0minat0r said:

So assuming PS3 had no indie games, you think we wouldnt get 2 AAA's?

lower budget game =/= diversity.

I dont think it, I know it and I will use this post to show you why we arent losing out on AAA high budget games because of indie titles. Thats like saying the vita doesnt sell and PS3 is last gen so if we didnt get PS3 games and vita games we would just get 7 PS4 games a month which is ludicrous. There is no precedent to what youre complainign about. You would have a somewhat arguable stance if we had multiple AAA games and then all of a sudden the "indie boom" came and they were taken away. PSPlus has done nothing but add highly rated high budget games more frequently as time has gone on. It took nearly a full year to get the first non downloadable game to PSPlus so if we actually use facts your argument looks even more ridiculous. As Indies have been introduced we have seen more frequent, higher rated games coming to PSPlus, not a decreased amount.

If we use E3 2013 as the "playstation indie boom" we see: Deus Ex, LBPKarting, Uncharted 3, Hitman, Kingdoms of Amalur, Grid 2, Borderlands 2, DMC, Bioshock Infinite, Metro last light, Payday 2, Tomb Raider, Batman Arkham City, Castle of Illusion, Pro Evo 2014, Sly Cooper, Puppeteer, NBA2k14 and Dead Space 3

All of the above in 1 year

Pror to this "indie boom that took away am ma gamez" we had: sleeping dogs, demons souls, darksiders, bioshock 2, Payday 1, borderlands, LBP2, Infamous 2, Saints row 2, Just cause 2,  far cry 2, tomb raider, underworld, warhammer, ratchet and clank all 4 one

All of these titles in the span of the previous 3 years, with literally 6 of them coinciding with E3 2012 as a special promotion of summer and Infamous 2, LBP2 and Ratchet and Clank all 4 one lasting 7 days.

Diversity = variety. Monetary production value has no relevence to variety. Youre literally complaining about being given extra things as an option. Its quite ridiculous. Especially considering we have received arguably better quality games in the last year than the previous 3 combined and factually more games in the last year that are boxed "high production" games than the previous 3 years combined.

Again, you literally have no valid point to any of your arguments. In fact when PSPlus came out it originally including vast amounts of PSMini games. Remember those? Maybe not, we stopped gettign them with PSPlus in 2012 right about when we STARTED getting high budget games. Which is the exact opposite thing youre arguing.

Then why did you bring it up?

So you agree with me that varity can exist among AAA games.

I do have a valid point. The valid point is before we used to get upto 3 AAA PS3 games, now we get 1 AAA and 1 indie.... you still havent disproved that.

ikki5 said:

I am tired of the shooter phase that has been going on the last few years and the so called yearly releases of the unfinished AAA games.

You're not the only one who feels that way, my friend!

---Member of the official Squeezol Fanclub---

Around the Network
Euphoria14 said:

But they don't make "indie games" as in those college-project abortions that flood download services like XLBA, PSN, and eshop.

curl-6 said:
Euphoria14 said:

But they don't make "indie games" as in those college-project abortions that flood download services like XLBA, PSN, and eshop.

That's like saying Nintendo doesn't make games as in those gritty, dudebro shooters that flood retail services like Game, Daily Price and Gamestop.

Wright said:

That's like saying Nintendo doesn't make games as in those gritty, dudebro shooters that flood retail services like Game, Daily Price and Gamestop.

They don't. ;)

But sadly, one only has to browse a downloadable games service to be bombarded with mountains of stuff that feels like a B-reel of the local University's game design course. That's where the indie boom has gotten us; a market flooded with amateur products.

No it's give all consoles something interesting and different to play. The best ones are normally the only ones to make it to consoles anyway.

Xbox One, PS4 and Switch (+ Many Retro Consoles)

'When the people are being beaten with a stick, they are not much happier if it is called the people's stick'- Mikhail Bakunin

Prediction: Switch will sell better than Wii U Lifetime Sales by Jan 1st 2018

curl-6 said:
Euphoria14 said:

Keep hating while continuing to misuse the term "indie".

Plenty of great games made by these amateurs. You just seem to just brush them off without even giving them a chance just because you appear to choose to hate the idea of small time devs trying to make a name for themselves in a big publisher world. Just like in the AAA world you have good and you have bad. That just comes with the territory, just like in movies.

Squids will be hated by you just because it is an indie title. Forget that it is a good game.

Currently playing: