By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Has the Wii U become more of a Collector item than a system that people buy to play regularly?

You buy 3-4 games a month on other consoles.....WOW. If I'm lucky I beat 1 game per month (including handheld games).

-----

Now that I'm a bit older, I feel Nintendo consoles are like diamonds in the mud. There were a handful of amazing Wii and Gamecube games, not too many, but enough to warrant the purchase of a console. Some of those games (like XenoBlade Chronicles, Zelda, Mario Party 9, Metroid Prime series, Fire Emblem, etc) are the best in the industry, so if you're a real console gamer, you need to own a Nintendo home console.

Plus with 4 player GP mode, Mario Kart 8 makes for the BEST local multiplayer. I'm sure most people don't play local multiplayer anymore, but I stil do and Nintendo is king here.

What is with all the hate? Don't read GamrReview Articles. Contact me to ADD games to the Database
Vote for the March Most Wanted / February Results

Around the Network
spurgeonryan said:

I keep hearing people say "Hey! I just bought a Wii U!", but I am not really sure why. I hope that it is because they do not care if a ton of games come out and just want to play Nintendo games.

But at this point, it is not really a system for many. You are not going to get 3-4 games a month like others. After you buy the main games, you could have to wait a while before you get another one.

That is just a few reasons why I think people are just buying it to own it. Add it to their list.

Do you think this is something that is happening now?

When the game has the kind of longevity that Nintendo is known for, you don't need a lot of games. Mario Kart 8 alone will easily be more than a month's worth of gaming.

@michael i bought 10 for wii U XD. but they were all on sale . i finish about at least 2-3 games per month

Wii U is heading for the kind of cool Dreamcast has

Why do the hardcore find it so hard to believe that people actually play games on Nintendo consoles?

"We hold these truths to be self-evident - all men and women created by the, go-you know.. you know the thing!" - Joe Biden

Around the Network

I think i get what spurgeon is trying to say, and some quotes on this threads seems to confirm what i am thinking:
"Wii u has the first party exclusives, for everything else, there's Steam."

"i bought the WII U because it was on sale where i get 2 games with it and also because i wona gift voucher that pays for the whole machine :D."

Don't get me wrong, its your money and you do whatever you want with it. But the thing is that people onw the console, but are not willing to use it the most possible, do you get it?

I know this guy in another forum, mostly a sony fanboy, but has money to expend. So i made one thread about wiiu there, and then he came, and criticized the low sales, lack of power, weak online , more mario, etc. He downplayed the console from start to the end. In less than 2 weeks, he bougth one(!). He grabed a deal that included the NSMBU bundle and DKC:TF. Then he proceed to talk about his purchase, now criticsing, the range of the game pad, the matte color, the battery and the weigth. He also didn't liked DKC: TF, but enjoyed the NSMBU, and insisted that he didn't get the concept of the gamepad, one thing that he claimed psvita did better with ps4.

He don't like jrpgs much, so i tried to convince him to grab game like deus ex and zombiu. He was like nah, alreadly have a lot of zoombie games in my psn backlog and alreadly have my deus ex copy there too. When MK8 arrived, he didn't was really into it, because most stores overpriced it(anothe commom complain of him, that nintendo games are more expensive and does not have something like PS+).Mostly, one thing got clear for me, he didn't got the console because he tough it could have some potential, but because was the only way to play the highily praised nintendo games.

So, yeah, it seems most of the time people are buying wiiu just to play that one-2 games, but that's about it. Its feels like, when it come to ps4, people look at it and say: "wow, will buy this console, and play all my favorite franchises, wacth all my movies, make most of my purchases there". When it comes to wiiu, they are like:"Blargh, really? No other way to play those games? Well, guess, i will pick one cheap just to play that game and thats about it. If something grab my attetion later, i will pick it too". People want to do everything with theirs ps4/ X1. Wacth movies, series, play indies games, play multiplat releases, make the most of it. People are chasing games to play on theirs consoles. But it seems that wiiu owners want to play the bare minimum, to buy the bare minimum, to find any way to play the games in others plattaforms than on wiiu.

Who to blame? Difficult to say, on one side we have owner that never expected wiiu to have something to add in the average multiplattaform release, in the other we have a console that recievied a lot of gimped ports, lacking online modes and dlcs(we can blame nitnendo and publishers on this). We have to remenber too that retaliers put out litlle space for wiiu, and theirs games, so a lot of them are hard to find, so the average consumer end up giving up on buying B-games. The interface of the eshop don't help either. Add to that a system that was really slow at launch, and has not the most popular features that a lot of gamer are used too, like achiviements, party chat, account system(c'mom, we all know that account rigth now has no use if they are tied with the console).

So yeah, wiiu is between a rock and a hard place.

"Hardware design isn’t about making the most powerful thing you can.
Today most hardware design is left to other companies, but when you make hardware without taking into account the needs of the eventual software developers, you end up with bloated hardware full of pointless excess. From the outset one must consider design from both a hardware and software perspective."

Gunpei Yoko

sundin13 said:
Do people actually have the time and money to play 3-4 games per month? I usually buy 3-4 retail games per year, if that...

Anyways, no, that is silly @.@

no they don't. People liek me have a HUGE backlog. 

spurgeonryan said:

But at this point, it is not really a system for many. You are not going to get 3-4 games a month like others.

I doubt that most people who play video games get a new game almost every week. I personally get around 5 games total (console and handheld combined) or less a year, and that's plenty for me. 

Basic concert band instruments: piccolo, flute, oboe, bassoon, clarinet, bass clarinet, alto saxophone, tenor saxophone, baritone saxophone, horn, trumpet, trombone, euphonium, tuba, double bass, and percussion. 

sundin13 said:
Do people actually have the time and money to play 3-4 games per month? I usually buy 3-4 retail games per year, if that...

Anyways, no, that is silly @.@

Yea was same thing I thought while reading.  3-4 games a month.  Holy shit.  Even if I had the money to freely buy that many games a month, there isn't that many good games available a month.  That equates to 36-48 games a year.  Can you really list almost 50 games that are worth buying in a year?

I'm of course talking full retail $60 games, not a huge list of Indie games.

But yea I am always amazed end of generation how many games I end up owning, but I doubt I buy more than 5-10 games a year. Some years are btter than others.  For instance 2015 looks like could be the 10 games year.  This year probably only 5.  Anything more imo is rediculous.  

edit: maybe its cause I don't sell back games, or use gamestop or whatever.  I keep the games I buy until I the next generation comes out.  Then I look at my games and only keep the best of the bunch while selling the rest for whatever $5 or less shit gamestop will give me.

3-4 games a month? Where do you work, and are they hiring?

Kidding aside, I think it's more so the Mario Kart effect had a lot of people on the fence finally caving.