By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Amiibos up for preorder!? (£12.85)

bubblegamer said:

Uh not only did i watch it, i followed the entire digital event at E3. I'm just not agreeing with us. It sets off a dangerous precedent. Once this proves succesful, next time the character will just be unplayable without the right toy.

Slipery slope is a fallacy of discussion. Please don't do it.

Around the Network
Augen said:
Dunban67 said:
What is the exchange rate now- what do they translate to $s?

They seem expensive but maybe they will be worth it we ll see

Given pricing norms I would expect them to be $14.99 + applicable tax in your states and/or city.  

Thanks-  that is expensive -   Will just have to see how much if any value add they will offer to the games they can be used in

bubblegamer said:
osed125 said:
bubblegamer said:

Uh not only did i watch it, i followed the entire digital event at E3. I'm just not agreeing with us. It sets off a dangerous precedent. Once this proves succesful, next time the character will just be unplayable without the right toy.

It'll be used for more than one franchise, and its not meant for everybody to buy all of them anyway. Also we dont have all the facts yet on Amiibo.

I dont see anything wrong as they have released Mario Kart 8 already which is a full game and you get the full experience yet amiibo will be compatible with it in the future. SSB is in the same boat (difference beingits releasing on the same day as the Amiibos with SSB WiiU)

All im saying is we cant jump the gun here. I mean i can think of many more examples that are worse.

Lets wait before saying "Once this proves succesful, next time the character will just be unplayable without the right toy". Thats not a fair call on your part :0

osed125 said:
bubblegamer said:
osed125 said:

I'm pretty sure you didn't watch the video that explains what Amiibos are for...

Nintendo isn't blocking any content from Smash Bros. nor is it adding anything significant to the core gameplay. Without buying any Amiibos you will have access to all characters, modes and pretty much everything from the beginning.

These are basically toys, something extra to do when you are playing with a friend, nothing more, nothing less. 

You are working on an assumption here.

What makes you so sure Nintendo will do that? If there are extra characters, Nintendo will add them as a normal DLC, they have done it in the past with games like Fire Emblem.

Because they are a businesses, and business always invent ways to drain people of their money, as much of it as possible. You know how promising DLC started, right? Look at where we are now :(

Honestly, I think people need to look at these as like a USB device that communicates with your system. The "disc locked" argument is absurd and wrong. You do not unlock and extra content with these. This is simply a figure that will interact and communicate with your system. These here do not provide you with any more game play, any new maps, characters. Every thing on the discs are unlocked from the get go (except for the stuff you unlock by play like what smash already does). All these are is something that provides something a little extra where you can train, level up and essentially raise by yourself due to what you do in your game and how you decided to train it. Obviously people did not watch the video, if they did and still do not understand that concept, then they must be pretty stupid because it is explained how they work, what they are for very clearly.

Around the Network

bubblegamer said:

Because they are a business, and business always invent ways to drain people of their money, as much of it as possible. You know how promisful DLC started right? Look at where we are now :(

Yes, and look at it. And look at the internet services the consoles offer.

You're looking at the sole company in the market that doesn't do Day-1 DLC, locked content on disc, or charge for their internet service. They have had DLC but its always been post development and release... like what DLC was meant to be.

Hence the fallacy. Not only is it slippery slope, but its fallacy by association too.

bubblegamer said:
osed125 said:

You are working on an assumption here.

What makes you so sure Nintendo will do that? If there are extra characters, Nintendo will add them as a normal DLC, they have done it in the past with games like Fire Emblem.

Because they are a business, and business always invent ways to drain people of their money, as much of it as possible. You know how promisful DLC started right? Look at where we are now :(

Like the user above me said, slippery slope fallacy. You have nothing concrete or factual that Nintendo will do that, and the "fact" that DLC started that with a lot of promise doesn't mean Amiibos will have a similar behavior.

Nintendo and PC gamer

14*12.25pounds*19mexican pesos = I'm broke!

They'll cost like 300$ MXN over here XD

Even if I don't use them at all in games, for only $15 if they are as good as quality as was seen at E3 they will definately find a spot on some of my shelves.

$15 for a high quality figure is a steal. No interest in the Smash Bros usage, will wait and see how they implement them in the other games.