By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Wii Featured at the Academy Awards

Gotta love the all the free advertising Nintendo gets.

http://www.news.com/8301-13772_3-9877783-52.html

It was a big night for Hollywood Sunday night, what with the biggest stars and best films being celebrated at the 80th Academy Awards.

But, unexpectedly, it also turned into a big night for Nintendo and its popular Wii video game console.

At one point in the show, as the broadcast came back from commercial, host Jon Stewart appeared on-stage playing tennis on the Wii, with the game displayed on the Oscars' giant screen.

It was a funny moment, and in keeping with Stewart's contemporary wit.

And while Nintendo must have known about it in advance--otherwise, how could the Oscars possibly have gotten ahold of a Wii--I'm sure it was a thrill for the game company's people to see their hit device get a moment in the sun during such a global event.

Around the Network
FishyJoe said:

And while Nintendo must have known about it in advance--otherwise, how could the Oscars possibly have gotten ahold of a Wii

That was well said

Thats cool, it makes me happy nintendo getting so much love

"Back off, man. I'm a scientist."

Your theories are the worst kind of popular tripe, your methods are sloppy, and your conclusions are highly questionable! You are a poor scientist. Especially if you think the moon landing was faked.

ioi + 1

Updated with video.

I like watching Jon Stewart on his show and i like his comedy but for the oscars he is 0-2 IMO. Oh yea.......The Wii needs no advertising but good nonetheless.

Around the Network

nin payed out of their ass for that.

The free advertising was, uh, priceless in it's own way. It's still not going to help anymore Wii's for the immediate future. I blame Wii Fit!

Mars said:

yeah who says it was free?

Mars said:

Uh, let's play a game. Proof or Troll?

I wouldn't completly doubt that Nintendo paid for it, I mean all that work for a 15 second joke? Unless they are really desperate to waste time...