By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - What is the GOLDEN AGE of Gaming?

What is the Golden Age of Gaming??

1st Gen 6 1.09%

2nd Gen 11 2.00%

3rd Gen 26 4.73%

4th Gen 161 29.27%

5th Gen 137 24.91%

6th Gen 133 24.18%

7th Gen 58 10.55%

8th Gen 13 2.36%

Total:545

The time between the 4th and 5th generation. SNES and MegaDrive/Genesis had so many good games that are timeless. 5th gen as well.. so many hours lost on new, origional franchises, local multiplayer and on arcade games.

Around the Network
ghettoglamour said:
I'm sure 8th gen will have the best games ever made. People voting for old ass gens are delusional. Don't tell me you'd rather pick a SNES over a PS3 for example, if you could only choose one.

Now this is exactly the kind of post that we don't want to see (not least because I disagree with in entirely judging on what's out and what's in the pipeline thus far), if you disagree with someone and their opinion then fine, but no need to make sweeping insults like this. 

Any more posts similar will be moderated.

Here lies the dearly departed Nintendomination Thread.

Either 4th or the 5th generation. Some of the best rpgs were on the SNES and the ps1.

SNES vs Sega, Nintendo vs Sega vs Sony = Between those eras when gaming was simple and fun, but still had a lot of choice. When Microsoft joined the gaming inudstry the golden age ended. They basically brought PC gaming to console gaming.

BraveNewWorld said:
contestgamer said:
BraveNewWorld said:
A few decades down the road it will be the 7th gen. I don't think we'll ever see those kinds of sales again.

HW - System (SW)

155 - DS (816)
101 - Wii (920)
83 - PS3 (830)
83 - 360 (893)
81 - PSP (962)

4,421,000,000 (software)
503,000,000 (hardware)

And the numbers are still climbing.

Golden age isn't about sales. It's about how good the generation was from a gamers POV - 7th is probably the worst generation since the 3rd gen.

The 7th gen will be gaming at its most prosperous point. It's when everyone was a gamer; I think that constitutes a golden age.

Golden age would be when gaming was at its best, not at its most popular. Very few think 7th gen was at its best - it's been a steady decline every generation since the 4th.

Around the Network
ghettoglamour said:
I'm sure 8th gen will have the best games ever made. People voting for old ass gens are delusional. Don't tell me you'd rather pick a SNES over a PS3 for example, if you could only choose one.

Yes, I would. Are you kidding me? SNES as a console destroys the PS3, Xbox 360 and Wii put together.

the consistent answer to this question is, "when i was young".

for me that was the snes.

i wonder if the answer would shift to 6th gen 10 years from now

For me It was the fourth generation of gaming, blows every other generation out of the water in my opinion.

BraveNewWorld said:
A few decades down the road it will be the 7th gen. I don't think we'll ever see those kinds of sales again.

HW - System (SW)

155 - DS (816)
101 - Wii (920)
83 - PS3 (830)
83 - 360 (893)
81 - PSP (962)

4,421,000,000 (software)
503,000,000 (hardware)

And the numbers are still climbing.

I think this generation will struggle to sell anywhere near 250,000,000+  in total console hardware.