By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Should Nintendo buy Capcom? (poll included)

???

Yes 1,088 76.46%

No 329 23.12%

Total:1,417
Mr Puggsly said:
spemanig said:
DogRemag said:
No.Capcom has millions of fans who don't play Nintnendo and their games have sold best on PlayStation.

That's literally the exact reason why Nintendo should buy Capcom. Nintendo wants people who don't play Nintendo to play Nintendo. If Street Fighter V was a Wii U exclusive, that community would buy a Wii U faster than you can sa-

I'm sure that's what MS was thinking when they bought Rare. Did that bring them a large casual audience? Not really.

there was a difference though. Nintendo steared RARE into making great games. Mocrosoft did not have that ability and let RARE rott. 

Around the Network

A smart company would definitely buy Capcom.

Translation: Nintendo won't buy Capcom.

Of course Nintendo should. They are desperately low on game output and the pletohra of IPs that they could work with, some of which have massive pulling power, would diversify their consoles library. Not to mention many of the other positives that other people have brought up.
It should also be noted that Capcom is one of the few companys that still supports Nintendo in a significant way. Can Nintendo afford to lose that?

Twilord said:
Captain_Tom said:
DarkRPGamer007 said:

Should Nintendo buy Capcom? As many have heard, Capcom is now open to buy. If Nintendo jumped on this deal, not only would they get help making some first party games but some other huge game series would become exclusives like Monster Hunter, Street Fighter, Resident Evil, Megaman, and Devil May Cry. I think Nintendo should take this offer before it passes.

Honestly Nintendo desperately needs more first party studios.  Buying Capcom would get them almost everything they need.  Imagine if Ninendo launched a proper hardcore console in 2017 that had Resident Evil, Monster Hunter, Devil May Cry, and a megaman reboot as exclusives...

Nice idea, but here is a MUCH better one. Launch in 2020 after the Wii-U has gotten high-end installments of every major Nintendo IP, a few more new ones like Splatoon, and almost every single Capcom IP. Replacing the Wii-U too soon would hurt the brand image, turning it around into the house of many future classices and then releasing the Nintendo Fusion Platform (handheld - home-console hybrid) with full backwards compatibility at the same time as the PS5 and Xbox Circles would be much better. Those who didn't cave to the Wii-U during its life-time could be brought in by that, I'm sure.

If they wait till 2020 Nintendo will be irrelevant in the gaming world, and they will have lost more investors than you can count!

Mr Puggsly said:
spemanig said:
DogRemag said:
No.Capcom has millions of fans who don't play Nintnendo and their games have sold best on PlayStation.

That's literally the exact reason why Nintendo should buy Capcom. Nintendo wants people who don't play Nintendo to play Nintendo. If Street Fighter V was a Wii U exclusive, that community would buy a Wii U faster than you can sa-

I'm sure that's what MS was thinking when they bought Rare. Did that bring them a large casual audience? Not really.

Rare wasn't known for casual games back then, except maybe GoldenEye (which was the CoD of the  mid-90's). When you thought of Rare, you thought of the aforementioned GoldenEye, Banjo Kazooie, Jet Force Gemini, Perfect Dark and so on. Definitely not games for the casual market.

Around the Network

So what's Capcom's asking price? 1.5 billion? I highly doubt that would be a good move by Nintendo.

People, remember that when a company or studio gets bought out, a bunch of talent often leaves in the acquisition. It's not like you can just copy and paste all of Capcom's staff into Nintendo's staff. Look at what happened when Microsoft bought Rare.

I think it would be wiser for Nintendo to pick it's spots and acquire certain IPs. Monster Hunter and Mega Man are an absolute must. Wherever Monster Hunter goes, Japan follows. And Mega Man would fit right in with Nintendo's mascots as if he was there all along.

Maybe also look at acquiring a few studios as well, but by no means pay the asking price of the company and its assets wholesale. For instance, instead of paying top dollar for the rights to Resident Evil, would it be wiser to acquire the studio and make the spiritual successor to RE and market it as such?

Sony should sell some more buildings and buy Capcom with the cash!

Once you entered you won't be the same anymore. A blog about life.

http://seetheworlddifferent.wordpress.com/

ImmortalHelixFossil said:

Can one develop games in a cardboard box?

ImmortalHelixFossil said:

selling buildings will not give you enough to buy that unless you sold many of them. I doubt Sony will even consider buying them

Game_God said:

I just want to add that additionally to the benefits of ownership over Capcom IPs & the skilled manpower, it would be a paradigm shifting acquisition in Japan for other game companies.
Think about it, with PS4 dev costs & lackluster sales, Japanese game companies like SE, Namco, Konami, who have been turning their back on Nintendo for a few years now, would have almost no choice than aknowledge Nintendo prevalence in the Japanese Market, resulting in the possible coming back of IPs like Winning Eleven, Metal Gear, Final Fantasy, Tales of, Tekken...
There's more in it for Nintendo than just buying/owning Capcom.

Great point.