By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Why does everyone want female Link so badly?

Are you in favor of a Female protagonist in Zelda Wii U?

Yes 99 49.75%

No 98 49.25%

Total:197

Can you add Dont give a crap so long as the game rocks to the poll?

RIP Dad 25/11/51 - 13/12/13. You will be missed but never forgotten.

Around the Network

It'd be weird if Link was a female. I would still love the game, but that's like making Master Chief a woman or Mario a woman. You just don't do it.

You're Gonna Carry That Weight.

Xbox One - PS4 - Wii U - PC

RolStoppable said:
theprof00 said:
I wouldn't be surprised if we never find out if it's a girl or a boy.

Wow, what a hater.

Predicting bankruptcy for Nintendo within the next twelve months is taking it too far.

haha

Well, unfortunately, I don't think Nintendo is ballsy enough to make a zelda without link. We'll still see normal dude link. I think this character is actually in the game, and could very well be some kind of gerudo king-wannabe (girl dressing like a guy) or something like that, but was put in the trailer in order to get people to explode about how link is a girl now.

I don't see why not, it would be a nice change of pace.

I don't want a female Link, but I want a Link so feminized you can't tell he's a man. Then I'd definitively enjoy Rule 34 even more with a trappish Link.

Around the Network
BraLoD said:
Wright said:

I don't want a female Link, but I want a Link so feminized you can't tell he's a man. Then I'd definitively enjoy Rule 34 even more with a trappish Link.

Hahaha as I said :P

I don't feel guilty fapping to male Link. But I'd definitively prefer trap Link ;)

BraLoD said:
Wright said:

I don't feel guilty fapping to male Link. But I'd definitively prefer trap Link ;)

I said guilty or weird, and if you DEFINITIVELY prefer a trap Link, at least you feel a little weird right now :P hahaha

Well, I guess? xD

Mensrea said:

Speculation is surrounding the announcement of Zelda U concerning the gender of the protaganist shown in the trailer. (For the record, I believe that it's just a less masculine male Link) Many people have speculated that this is a new female hero or zelda as the protaganist. It seems like the overwhelming majority of people are  in favor of this idea, and actually clamoring for this link to actually be female. My question to those people is: why?

I am by no means opposed to female leads in games. Not one bit. Samus Aran is my favorite all time game character for crying out loud. But changing Link to a female variant just seems like a cry for attention. I for one, really enjoy playing as this young coming of age boy going on a grand adventure in Zelda. Some of you may say: "Why not a coming of age girl?". Here's the thing, Link is a character that I actually like playing as. He's cool, and I  (as cheesy as it may sound) have become connected to playing with him. The whole: "Link is an avatar for the character" argument is bullshit. Link has never offered any sort of customization, and has shown more and more emotion and personility in each succesive installment. I like that Link, I like playing as link. Link has become a character that I am immensely fond of. Not just some robot that can be swapped out at any time.

If an outrcy to change Samus Aran to a man rang out from the gaming community, it would be scoffed at, and put down. I would laugh and scoff at it. No one's asking for that. In many ways it's the same exact scenario. Character in long established franchise that's known for being mute and devoid of emotion given a gender swap. Now I know that this analogy is not bulletproof, as changing from a female to a man furthers the inequality of male to female protaganists rather than balances it, but I think the basic idea is valid.

Look I understand that females are underepresented in games. It's a crime, and I'm fully behind more females. But let's not just change a longstanding character's gender just so that equality can be reached. Give Zelda or Sheik their own awesome game, make a new IP with a strong female character, for the love of God give me another Metroid. Just don't start making male characters in well established franchises female. I mean, what's next, Marioella?

Super Maria Sisters

Everyone "on the net". That makes a huge difference. The net is not the world.