By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Zelda U: The Zelda title the Wii U deserves, but not the one it needs?

VanceIX said:

lol

So you automatically assumed that my first experience was Wind Waker, without knowing who the hell I am, just because of my age? I started with Ocarina of Time as a kid with my N64. I think you need to go back and see the Zelda release timeline. 

I also think you're also woefully ignorant of the graphical capability on the N64. Ocarina of Time and Majora's Mask were some of the most realistic games released on the N64. They put a huge emphasis on darker hues. If you want to see a "cartoony" game, look at Super Mario 64. Big emphasis on brighter hues. Nintendo could have easily done the same thing with OoT and MM, but they didn't.

And if you honestly believe that a cel-shaded Zelda will move nearly as many units as a more realistic Zelda, power to you. You're wrong though.

So my opinion is wrong? I'm glad you have that big of an ego to call someone elses opinion wrong. I can call your opinion wrong, but i'm not the one stating my opinion as fact. Stop being ignorant to what people are telling you. Nothing about Zelda is realistic; The greater Zelda community does not want a hyper-realistic Zelda if you noticed. You're so out of touch with the Zelda community you are lying to yourself to try and justify your reasonings for a huge change in art style. 

Your age plays a huge factor in to the type of Zelda game you like. I love the cartoon style, but my first game was on SNES. I wasn't able to enjoy OoT and Majoras mask until I got my Zelda collection with my GameCube. 

Around the Network
amak11 said:
VanceIX said:

lol

So you automatically assumed that my first experience was Wind Waker, without knowing who the hell I am, just because of my age? I started with Ocarina of Time as a kid with my N64. I think you need to go back and see the Zelda release timeline. 

I also think you're also woefully ignorant of the graphical capability on the N64. Ocarina of Time and Majora's Mask were some of the most realistic games released on the N64. They put a huge emphasis on darker hues. If you want to see a "cartoony" game, look at Super Mario 64. Big emphasis on brighter hues. Nintendo could have easily done the same thing with OoT and MM, but they didn't.

And if you honestly believe that a cel-shaded Zelda will move nearly as many units as a more realistic Zelda, power to you. You're wrong though.

So my opinion is wrong? I'm glad you have that big of an ego to call someone elses opinion wrong. I can call your opinion wrong, but i'm not the one stating my opinion as fact. Stop being ignorant to what people are telling you. Nothing about Zelda is realistic; The greater Zelda community does not want a hyper-realistic Zelda if you noticed. You're so out of touch with the Zelda community you are lying to yourself to try and justify your reasonings for a huge change in art style. 

Your age plays a huge factor in to the type of Zelda game you like. I love the cartoon style, but my first game was on SNES. I wasn't able to enjoy OoT and Majoras mask until I got my Zelda collection with my GameCube. 

No one said anything about "hyper-realism". A realistic Zelda is something like what they showed at E3 back at the Wii U reveal- You know, the game that had fans drooling for a long time? It wasn't realistic, but the emphasis on the darker tone and amazing realistic lighting gave the vibe that the Wii U was truly a next-gen console worth owning. A Skyward Sword 2.0 artstyle is beautiful, and I love it, but its not going to sell as many copies.

Your opinion is wrong. You know why? Realistic Zeldas have always sold more. OoT and TP sold more than WW or SS. TP itself sold 7 million, compared with the 3.75 million that Skyward Sword sold, and it had a MUCH smaller install base than Skyward Sword when it came out.

Facts are facts. My age has nothing to do with artstyle, so I'd advise you keep it out of this discussion, because it lends you no credibility. I've played every single Zelda (excluding the CDi games), and I've loved almost all of them dearly. Just because I was born in the mid 90s doesn't mean I lose all credibility on the older games.

You're Gonna Carry That Weight.

Xbox One - PS4 - Wii U - PC

>A cel-shaded game, on this scope, will move a significant amount of Wii Us. From the sounds of it though, you're sound ungrateful. My current prediction for this Zelda title is 7 million in lifetime sales

2 million is optimistic. Consider the sales history of the weirdly-graphicked Zeldas - they do not do well - and look at the install base.

The cel-shading is visually appalling. The nonsense someone was posting about Ghibli or Mononoke or whatever means nothing to the game's primary market, viz. the west.

Also, I find it disturbing that Link is sporting a blue tunic rather than his iconic green one. Is it a special tunic or a reckless art decision?

BTW, does anyone else think Link's arrow looks like some kind of hi-tech Halo or Stargate weapon?

It does not seem to fit in with the Zelda theme.

what happened to the Zelda e3 demo before the wii u released. many people liked that artstyle. That would have been something new for Zelda imo. But this was expected though after all the speculation.

Smartest nam evila

Current Platforms: HighendPC[rip]/PS4/PS3[rip]/Vita[rip]

Around the Network

Old games use to have mods you could enable and disable so I don't get my modern games dropped this concept.

To keep all fans happy have the following settings;

Link Talk - YES / NO
Graphics - Toon / Realistic

The fight shown in the in E3 trailer reminded me of the opening of Princess Mononoke, instant win.
The game looks great, I much prefer the new style.

>>>>>

SvennoJ said:

The fight shown in the in E3 trailer reminded me of the opening of Princess Mononoke, instant win.
The game looks great, I much prefer the new style.

>>>>>

Both look great, my only problem about the true official Zelda game is the way Link looks...

I don't have a problem with A skyward sword type look. I liked SS and thought the look was a bit restricted by the limitations of the wii, so I'm not surprised to see them try it again on a more advanced console. I don't own shares in Nintendo so I don't give a damn if it sells...

TheLegendaryWolf said:

<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<

Both look great, my only problem about the true official Zelda game is the way Link looks...

They both look great though.

Smartest nam evila

Current Platforms: HighendPC[rip]/PS4/PS3[rip]/Vita[rip]