By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Is it a disadvantage for MS to go first?

Which time slot would you want?

First 8 8.79%

Somewhere in the middle 14 15.38%

Last 52 57.14%

Nintendo Direct the day after 15 16.48%

Total:89

If you go first and if you make a damn good presentation. Then it will one hell of a bar for the next ones to go after it.

But if it was a bad presentation. Then you will just make a fool out of yourself.

Guess where MS is standing right now.

Yay!!!

Around the Network
platformmaster918 said:

It just seems like Sony can leave the lasting impression with their time slot at E3.  Last year I think it paid real dividends for them.  Now I don't think they change their conference based on MS but I do think it's an advantage in mindshare.  They make the last big impression with the last press breifing.  MS kinda gets lost in the shuffle going first.  You get them...then you get EA and Ubi and Sony to overshadow them to the point where you kinda forget what they showed by the end.  Which position would you rather be in press conference wise?

proof?

Its not about the time its about the games.

If you go first you can steal the thunder.

If you think Microsoft did bad, then I guess they didn't steal the thunder for you.

Intrinsic said:
platformmaster918 said:

It just seems like Sony can leave the lasting impression with their time slot at E3.  Last year I think it paid real dividends for them.  Now I don't think they change their conference based on MS but I do think it's an advantage in mindshare.  They make the last big impression with the last press breifing.  MS kinda gets lost in the shuffle going first.  You get them...then you get EA and Ubi and Sony to overshadow them to the point where you kinda forget what they showed by the end.  Which position would you rather be in press conference wise?

proof?

they're a multi-billion dollar corporation and don't make last second changes to a show that's been being planned and rehearsed for weeks if not months.  Also Jack said so himself last year that they don't scratch slides or whatever people thought they did.  He said with huge corporations things like an E3 presentation are planned well ahead of time and cannot be altered last minute like that.

Get Your Portable ID!Lord of Ratchet and Clank

Duke of Playstation Plus

Warden of Platformers

Around the Network

Going first makes it the other team's game to lose, but going second gives you a tiny level of adaptability. But remember that what they show is basically set in stone. Anything that they add in last minute makes the conference as a whole look less rehearsed. So you can do it, but that stuff is a double edged sword. So the benefit of adding it in needs to be weighed with what you're going to get out. Not to mention, you also either need to make the addition really short, or cut something else out.

platformmaster918 said:
Intrinsic said:
platformmaster918 said:

proof?

they're a multi-billion dollar corporation and don't make last second changes to a show that's been being planned and rehearsed for weeks if not months.  Also Jack said so himself last year that they don't scratch slides or whatever people thought they did.  He said with huge corporations things like an E3 presentation are planned well ahead of time and cannot be altered last minute like that.

My bad, I could have sworn I read you say "Now I think they changed their conference based on MS. I didn't see the "don't".

Intrinsic said:
platformmaster918 said:
Intrinsic said:
platformmaster918 said:

proof?

My bad, I could have sworn I read you say "Now I think they changed their conference based on MS. I didn't see the "don't".

no worries.  A lot of people seem to be misreading that or stating what I already said so hopefully this clears it up for everyone (like the post before your last) lol

Get Your Portable ID!Lord of Ratchet and Clank

Duke of Playstation Plus

Warden of Platformers

Late as possible. Nintendo directs will also be watched by many console owners who aren't typical e3 watchers.