By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Does Nobody Notice How Badly the 3DS Is Doing?

Tagged games:

tbone51 said:
Xxain said:
BMaker11 said:

ummm...how is it that the XBone "isn't selling bad, it's selling just fine. PS4 is just selling more", but the 3DS, which sells more than the XBone, is doing bad?

I really wish ppl would stop pointing fingers elsewhere to justify sales. Things like this should be based on predecessor performance and 3DS nowhere near as hot as the DS or GBA.

true but DS+GBA didn't have a market where its overruned by Tablets+Smartphones.

isnt that the whole thing of it?

Around the Network
RolStoppable said:

Games with 3D gameplay that are meant for escapism. It should go without saying that the stereoscopic 3D of the 3DS has a much more significant effect on games with 3D gameplay than sidescrollers or top-down games. The positions of the Circle Pad and d-pad are also clear indicators for what games Nintendo had in mind when designing the hardware.

Of the three games you named, only Super Mario 3D Land is a problematic title; top-down Zelda and Pokémon are business as usual for Nintendo handhelds. Super Mario 3D Land was also THE flagship game for the 3DS. The system was designed for it, just like the Nintendo 64 was made for Super Mario 64. It doesn't matter how great those 3D Mario games are considered to be, what's of importance is that no Nintendo success can be attributed to any 3D Mario game. The only successful Nintendo systems that housed a 3D Mario game are the DS and Wii, but neither of them was successful because of 3D Mario.

I can agree with the fact that 3D Mario is definitely not the system seller people on the internet make it to be, it's more of a critical darling or an extra. 2D Mario sells more consoles and the 3DS definitely doesn't have the best 2D Mario. In fact, it's the worst in my opinion. (NSMBU was also released only months after it, further reducing the "use" of NSMB2.)

However, that's definitely not the only problem with the 3DS. Do you feel that a new iteration could help the sagging bottom line? I certainly feel that it would help Japan out a lot considering their last 3DS iteration was the 3DS XL in 2012. 

I would also like to point out, in general not to you, Rol, that the 3DS has for a long time not been competitive with the DS. That's just silly. However, it should've sold around what the GBA sold, but that's even a stretch now. And that's not good at all.

generic-user-1 said:

for a handheld without games and with a to big price its doing fantastic...

if Vita is doing fantastic, 3DS is blessing from gods

Click HERE and be happy 

NintendoPie said:

As of late I've noticed many people shifting focus to the "Battle of the Big Three Home Consoles", but there's a problem brewing in the Handheld's case, seemingly under most people's noses. 

The 3DS has fallen from it's "glory" days, and fast. There was a time when it did around ~120k weekly, a healthy number. However, now it's yet to even find a baseline; falling from ~85k to ~76k quite quickly with no stop in sight. This is not good at all and paints an ugly picture for the future of the depressing state of the little Handheld that could. 

What's the problem here? I largely blame it on Nintendo's focus on the Wii U, a console that's future is most definitely set in stone already. (And it's not the best future.) Instead of helping the 3DS continue with healthy sales and generate a healthy profit they instead look to try and save an already slippery slope. The 3DS can have a good road ahead of it, but no one wants to see to it. Instead we cover our eyes and pretend that the terrible 3DS sales are just "okay" or "good enough."

We all need to take a look at the situation the 3DS is in and take off the blinders. Sure, it's not as bad as the Vita, but we shouldn't even be using that as a scale for how "good" the 3DS is doing in the first place. What has happened, in your opinion? What can Nintendo do to stop it, because there is a problem here.

You’ve pretty much covered it here. In switching focus to trying to revive Wii U sales Nintendo have inadvertently undermined the 3ds which is now in decline. Nintendo are in one of those dammed if you do dammed if you don't situations as if they had done the opposite and focused on the 3ds and neglected the Wii U they would have had a home console with very little support which in turn would alienate any Wii U owners and damage the Nintendo Brand for not being able to support the console.

Their best option in my opinion would be to boost support for both consoles through more partnerships both using deals for 3rd party games and renting out Nintendo franchises to 3rd party devs like with Pokémon Conquest ,Hyrule Warriors and Smash Bros 3DS/Wii U.

NintendoPie said:
RolStoppable said:

Games with 3D gameplay that are meant for escapism. It should go without saying that the stereoscopic 3D of the 3DS has a much more significant effect on games with 3D gameplay than sidescrollers or top-down games. The positions of the Circle Pad and d-pad are also clear indicators for what games Nintendo had in mind when designing the hardware.

Of the three games you named, only Super Mario 3D Land is a problematic title; top-down Zelda and Pokémon are business as usual for Nintendo handhelds. Super Mario 3D Land was also THE flagship game for the 3DS. The system was designed for it, just like the Nintendo 64 was made for Super Mario 64. It doesn't matter how great those 3D Mario games are considered to be, what's of importance is that no Nintendo success can be attributed to any 3D Mario game. The only successful Nintendo systems that housed a 3D Mario game are the DS and Wii, but neither of them was successful because of 3D Mario.

I can agree with the fact that 3D Mario is definitely not the system seller people on the internet make it to be, it's more of a critical darling or an extra. 2D Mario sells more consoles and the 3DS definitely doesn't have the best 2D Mario. In fact, it's the worst in my opinion. (NSMBU was also released only months after it, further reducing the "use" of NSMB2.)

However, that's definitely not the only problem with the 3DS. Do you feel that a new iteration could help the sagging bottom line? I certainly feel that it would help Japan out a lot considering their last 3DS iteration was the 3DS XL in 2012. 

I would also like to point out, in general not to you, Rol, that the 3DS has for a long time not been competitive with the DS. That's just silly. However, it should've sold around what the GBA sold, but that's even a stretch now. And that's not good at all.

I disagree, i would argue that in fact it was the 3ds version that reduced the use of the WIi U one, since it was released MONTHS before. on a system that had already been on the market for some time. 2d mario was a launch title, but why buy the system and game if Ninty just put out a 2d mario just months ago on a system you might already have? You probably wouldnt, doesnt matter if the Wii U one is better (it is) i imagine most people buying either really dont care.

Around the Network

Wait for YW2 and Pokemon and MH4G. That will be enough to get a decent year.

Though, yes, i think it'll be one of the worst nintendo handheld in sales. It'll be a shock for Nintendo, not really good for them this dying market when their home console is not doing so well. I think they'll have to launch their Fusion console soon ( it's a great idea considering handheld market is dying, so fusionning both market is genius )

Predictions for end of 2014 HW sales:

PS4: 17m   XB1: 10m    WiiU: 10m   Vita: 10m

Yes, I noticed that the 3DS haven't been doing well also. The 3DS haven't sold a ton of units since early 2013. It used to sell a lot. I thought it would pass 100 million but now I don't think it going to reach that for a lifetime. It is still doing better than the vita. It is still the Next-Gen handheld to buy. The 3DS might start selling a lot after E3 this year or maybe next year, depending which games comes out.

We Are One

RolStoppable said:
oniyide said:

THIS. I love when he says things like that, but i wonder what HIS idea for a follow up to DS would have been? what could have been done to make it better? more powerful? thats what they did. didnt help much.

You are the guy who kept struggling to come up with any ideas for a true Wii successor despite complaining about the quality of the motion sensing in the Wii controllers all the time. So here are some simple steps to have made a better follow-up to the DS:

1. No stereoscopic 3D. Raises battery life, lowers price.
2. Emphasis on eShop including Virtual Console. What Nintendo did was that the eShop wasn't ready until June 2011 and still no account system.
3. Making software with the goal of making gaming more popular instead of the mindset to make 3D Mario more popular.
4. Since space is such an issue, put the Circle Pad below the d-pad. It's easier to operate a Circle Pad in that awkward position.

yeah um no no im not, i dont try to come up with ideas for Wii successor because Ive never had an issue with Wii U (HW wise) or 3ds in the first place? Why are you even talking about Wii when we're talking 3ds? The motion controls sucked. they put out an addon made it much better. They didt support it much with Wii, it is now a controller for Wii U so yeah I dont have an issue there. Maybe you do.

1. im with you on the 3d even though i wasnt before, i dont even use it. But they did make a SKU without it, so thats that.

2. No argument there, but they are getting better.

3. Gonna have to give me some examples of what you mean? Are we talking something like...brain training/Nintendogs? those were made and it didnt help much

4. agreed

Seems to be doing fine even it has little chance of achieving DS numbers.

Furthermore, expect a massive boost during the holidays.

Recently Completed
River City: Rival Showdown
for 3DS (3/5) - River City: Tokyo Rumble for 3DS (4/5) - Zelda: BotW for Wii U (5/5) - Zelda: BotW for Switch (5/5) - Zelda: Link's Awakening for Switch (4/5) - Rage 2 for X1X (4/5) - Rage for 360 (3/5) - Streets of Rage 4 for X1/PC (4/5) - Gears 5 for X1X (5/5) - Mortal Kombat 11 for X1X (5/5) - Doom 64 for N64 (emulator) (3/5) - Crackdown 3 for X1S/X1X (4/5) - Infinity Blade III - for iPad 4 (3/5) - Infinity Blade II - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Infinity Blade - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Wolfenstein: The Old Blood for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Origins for X1 (3/5) - Uncharted: Lost Legacy for PS4 (4/5) - EA UFC 3 for X1 (4/5) - Doom for X1 (4/5) - Titanfall 2 for X1 (4/5) - Super Mario 3D World for Wii U (4/5) - South Park: The Stick of Truth for X1 BC (4/5) - Call of Duty: WWII for X1 (4/5) -Wolfenstein II for X1 - (4/5) - Dead or Alive: Dimensions for 3DS (4/5) - Marvel vs Capcom: Infinite for X1 (3/5) - Halo Wars 2 for X1/PC (4/5) - Halo Wars: DE for X1 (4/5) - Tekken 7 for X1 (4/5) - Injustice 2 for X1 (4/5) - Yakuza 5 for PS3 (3/5) - Battlefield 1 (Campaign) for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Syndicate for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: MW Remastered for X1 (4/5) - Donkey Kong Country Returns for 3DS (4/5) - Forza Horizon 3 for X1 (5/5)

Xxain said:
BMaker11 said:

ummm...how is it that the XBone "isn't selling bad, it's selling just fine. PS4 is just selling more", but the 3DS, which sells more than the XBone, is doing bad?

I really wish ppl would stop pointing fingers elsewhere to justify sales. Things like this should be based on predecessor performance and 3DS nowhere near as hot as the DS or GBA.

In that case, the PS3 didn't sell as well as the PS2, but do you call 83M (6th best selling system, all time) bad? DS sold 154M, yes, but that was the "PS2 of handhelds", so that's an extremely high standard to be held against. And the GBA had no real competition (N-GAGE? Neo-Geo? Tapwave? All of these bombed completely) so even holding it up to that standard may be a little unfair.

PS Vita compared to PSP? That's bad. WiiU compared to Wii? That's bad. But at 43M in year 3 (DS was at 54M when it was 3 years old), I wouldn't consider that "bad".

btw, I'm not amongst the people that say "X is selling well because Y is selling less". It was just a gripe I had with some user sentiment on this site and the 3DS was an example to bring it up. A lot of people say XBone isn't selling bad, it's just not selling as good as PS4, yet we have people saying the 3DS is doing bad, while selling higher than a system that's "not selling bad"