By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Is it Stupid to Argue over your favorite console? Come here and chat if you just want a healthy gaming industry for all

Is it stupid to run down another persons console

Yes, it's pointless 63 79.75%

No, I love infuriating people 11 13.92%

No, If enough people bash... 5 6.33%

Total:79

The quote trees are blinding!

Please, trim them to no more than three at a time or you'll be moderated.

Here lies the dearly departed Nintendomination Thread.

Around the Network

I understand your frustration, but in the end this is a site that tracks hardware and software sales, so sales discussions are inevitable.

The major problem I see with the sales discussions, however, is that there is very little financial analysis. Much more often, the figures are used as ammunition to attack "the other" and/or defend one's chosen company against attacks. I would love it if we could talk more about trends, emerging markets, demographic shifts, and advertising campaigns. But instead of using numbers to jump start a conversation on economics, globalization, or cultural dynamics, we use them bludgeon each other.

Veknoid_Outcast said:
I understand your frustration, but in the end this is a site that tracks hardware and software sales, so sales discussions are inevitable.

The major problem I see with the sales discussions, however, is that there is very little financial analysis. Much more often, the figures are used as ammunition to attack "the other" and/or defend one's chosen company against attacks. I would love it if we could talk more about trends, emerging markets, demographic shifts, and advertising campaigns. But instead of using numbers to jump start a conversation on economics, globalization, or cultural dynamics, we use them bludgeon each other.

Yep. It seems to be a "winning" and "losing" like as if they gain something from it? Then they call you some names and go home happy? haha

These new generation of gamers are ruining the gaming industry. They brought politics to gaming.If you ask me Sony,Nintendo and Microsoft are like Political parties with each fan choosing the one they prefer.Not all gamers are  have this mind set. I wont generalise them but it is very obvious that gaming went too political these days :/

cfin2987@gmail.com said:
Veknoid_Outcast said:

Yep. It seems to be a "winning" and "losing" like as if they gain something from it? Then they call you some names and go home happy? haha

Do you understand the concept of fandom?

I want you to stand in the middle of the World Cup Finale and call all the fans in the stadium stupid for cheering for their team.

If you demand respect or gratitude for your volunteer work, you're doing volunteering wrong.

Around the Network

vivster, do you understand the idea of bullying, i.e not fandom where someone calls you names for something you believe in when it's not relevant to supporting their cause, but running down theirs?

vivster said:
cfin2987@gmail.com said:
Veknoid_Outcast said:

Do you understand the concept of fandom?

I want you to stand in the middle of the World Cup Finale and call all the fans in the stadium stupid for cheering for their team.

The difference is that if the big three are all doing well, everybody is winning because it means there is healthy competition which drives the big three to go out of their way to supply the consumer with exactly what they want. Where as, if your team loses in the world cup, you can't say you won? You got nothing out of that loss but disappointment.

Thank you for understanding my point DexInDaJungle . I remember being a kid and having fun with the N64, ps1 competition but there was no hate. Now people literally want the other company to go out of business for no reason, call you names and tell you to kill yourself for liking one or the other. It's fairly sad.

If I can even make one person see that respecting someone elses choice in something so small is the right thing to do, then I feel that this conversation is worthwhile :)

cfin2987@gmail.com said:

Thank you for understanding my point DexInDaJungle . I remember being a kid and having fun with the N64, ps1 competition but there was no hate. Now people literally want the other company to go out of business for no reason, call you names and tell you to kill yourself for liking one or the other. It's fairly sad.

If I can even make one person see that respecting someone elses choice in something so small is the right thing to do, then I feel that this conversation is worthwhile :)

Even during the Sega/Nintendo days it wasn't as bad and in those days we had both companies taking shots at each other on Television. It's fine to like one more than the other, it's fine to explain why but going out of your way to put the other down seems silly to me.

DexInDaJungle said:
cfin2987@gmail.com said:

Even during the Sega/Nintendo days it wasn't as bad and in those days we had both companies taking shots at each other on Television. It's fine to like one more than the other, it's fine to explain why but going out of your way to put the other down seems silly to me.

Agreed. Especially when they start targeting the person, their children, their life etc. I am beginning to wonder if their is people paid to do it. It really sucks the fun out of it. Like, when I had a ps3, I just wanted it to do well, but when I had a wii before that, I also wanted the ps3 to do well, have good games etc. If someone had an xbox one, I would be buzzing to go to their house and try it out, as I would be with a ps4. They just wouldn't work for my dynamic at my house. It baffles the mind that people hate so deeply about something so trivial thats meant to be fun. (need to end tree or we'll be moderated)