By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Why are the British in "The Order : 1886" using a french military symbol?

PullusPardus said:
Dadrik said:
The symbol you can see of the pictures posted by the OP aren't French, they are Celtic, to begin with. Also, not all "képis" have it. It may vary depending on the part of the army it's representing.

Sorry if I'm not being clear enough, I'm still learning English.

thanks for the info, do you know what this symbol called? I've known a lot of celtic symbols but not seen this one in any of them.

I must say I don't know. I know a lot of people in the French Army, so I'll probably ask them.

Just because you have an opinion doesn't mean you are necessarily right.

Around the Network
Dadrik said:
PullusPardus said:
Dadrik said:
The symbol you can see of the pictures posted by the OP aren't French, they are Celtic, to begin with. Also, not all "képis" have it. It may vary depending on the part of the army it's representing.

Sorry if I'm not being clear enough, I'm still learning English.

thanks for the info, do you know what this symbol called? I've known a lot of celtic symbols but not seen this one in any of them.

I must say I don't know. I know a lot of people in the French Army, so I'll probably ask them.

that would be nice =]

I must apologize, I was wrong. The symbol on the French képi isn't celtic.
It looks like the one from The Order (which IS ispired from Celtic symbols), but it's not related.

It's actually called a "Hungarian Knot", and it is only embroidered on officers' képis.

Looks like an Ouroboros to me.  An Ouroboros is a symbol of a Snake or Dragon eating its own tail, in the case of 1886 a Dragon.

foxtail said:

Looks like an Ouroboros to me.  An Ouroboros is a symbol of a Snake or Dragon eating its own tail, in the case of 1886 a Dragon.

Actually, when you watch closely, the Order's logo isn't Ouroboros: it's a wolf-like head, and it's not eating itself.

Around the Network
foxtail said:

I don't see similarities.

useless info though I have an Ouroboros ring that i wear often =]

It probably is a nod to Ouroboros symbols. If I'm not mistaken, The Order deals with both alchemy and the idea of eternal life, both of which are associated with Ouroboros.

Well the Ouroboros can come in a variety of forms and look very different from each other.  

This one looks like a dragon as you can see its two feet on each side and the head biting the tail.

Also did a quick Google search and found this image confirming it's an Ouroboros in 1886.

foxtail said:

Well the Ouroboros can come in a variety of forms and look very different from each other.  

This one looks like a dragon as you can see its two feet on each side and the head biting the tail.

Also did a quick Google search and found this image confirming it's an Ouroboros in 1886.

Excellent find.

foxtail said:

Thats actually from the game, nice find it clearly shows the head of the dragon more, its a mix of Ouroboros and the Celtic sign that is mentioned.

Clever fictional British variation of the snake.