By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Japan Sales 01/06/14 - Mario Kart 8 Week! (>325k SW, 19k HW)

iamserious said:

This wasn't a full weeks worth of sales right? The game was released on a Thursday May 29th. I think the next sales update will show a greater increase in hardware sales than this.

May 30th, so two days. But people always say this and it's just not how it works. The biggest boosts and the most sales happen day 1. Now MK is a series well-known for legs, so the drop hopefully won't be too severe, but HW sales won't be higher next week. 

Here lies the dearly departed Nintendomination Thread.

Around the Network
Seece said:
tbone51 said:
Seece said:

You clearly don't. FYI I can say what I want, if games and price cut didn't help WiiU in Japan last holiday (and indeed WW) I don't see what's different about this holiday, I'm saying it'll be up in the air as to whether it'll be up/flat/down, whatever.

I'm not even using the trend that it was down YoY last holiday as to why it won't do much this holiday, rather its actual low sales and reaction to Nintendos interventions. You were the one claiming "how can you even say that blah blah blah" hence you didn't do your research as I pointed out to you, it already happened.

It didn't have a price cut in japan, do some research...

The cheaper sku? I don't consider Nintendo too have had any "price cut" but that's what people like to tout it as.

Are you happy with the hardware bump tbone? :)

honestly? Of course not, its very bad. Pikmin 3 had a bigger boost. MK8 sales are very good though, it'll have legs. That said Nintendo needs to turn this around and fast. I think other niche games will have a bigger HW effect. Ex: Hyrule Warriors hopefully will boost WiiU over 20k (if it sold 8-9k the week before of course).

Well this is only 3 days... but it is still disappointing. Maybe next week it'll be better?

If you think about that any console does not sell well in the console market in japan, than 19K is actually good!!! Every other console does also not sell well in japan now!!!

To everyone arguing in the thread, a good discussion is, of course, welcome but I'd ask people on both sides of the argument to keep it civil.

There's no need for comments aimed at irrating others so replace "Do your research!" by "I've seen data that goes against what you're saying" , leave out the personal jabs like "you should hand me that writer tag" and other comments fishing for reactions stick to the facts and your analysis of the situation.

Signature goes here!

Around the Network
padib said:
Seece said:

You clearly don't. FYI I can say what I want, if games and price cut didn't help WiiU in Japan last holiday (and indeed WW) I don't see what's different about this holiday, I'm saying it'll be up in the air as to whether it'll be up/flat/down, whatever.

I'm not even using the trend that it was down YoY last holiday as to why it won't do much this holiday, rather its actual low sales and reaction to Nintendos interventions. You were the one claiming "how can you even say that blah blah blah" hence you didn't do your research as I pointed out to you, it already happened.

No. This argument is a lost cause because you don't seem to understand what happened at launch for the U, and there is nothing I can say that will make you appreciate it because you are intent to appreciate your own opinion over that of any one else's. (blabla, right?)

I already mentioned that the U was an exception, marvel at these charts they says everything you need to know.

WiiU

Wii

I know my numbers. You don't know the numbers, let alone what they mean.

Also note that the Wii's launch winter sales in japan (2007 peak) were higher than the next winter's sales (2008 peak), disproving your statement that all consoles have sold better in their subsequent holiday season.

Maybe it's time you hand me that "Writer" tag

Again, you don't. I never even said WiiU wasn't an anomoly but it's launch wasn't "massive" as you suggest, it just had supply in tact. You still called out my original post which proves you didn't have a clue what you were talking about when you replied to me.

I really don't care about anomoly trends in Japan (my statement was WW) shipments, NPD and VGC go in my favour, second holidays are higher.

http://www.gameblog.fr/news/43423-france-mario-kart-8-booste-la-wii-u-nous-avons-les-chiffres

On my phone so using google translate is difficult. Basically says that MK8 made the Wii U sell 10 times as much as it did last week in France (apparently about 20k). So the Wii U sold more in France then Japan?

Btw. I didn't translate the article, someone on Gaf said this, so don't blame me if its false. :D

urgh that hw is severly lame

"I think people should define the word crap" - Kirby007

Join the Prediction League http://www.vgchartz.com/predictions

Instead of seeking to convince others, we can be open to changing our own minds, and seek out information that contradicts our own steadfast point of view. Maybe it’ll turn out that those who disagree with you actually have a solid grasp of the facts. There’s a slight possibility that, after all, you’re the one who’s wrong.

Next weeks sales should be very interesting!!!

A 19k boost for Wii U? That's shockingly low, what's worse, 3DS and Vita numbers also complete screw-ups. What's up Japan?

Lyrics: He He He He Ha Ha Ha!