By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Japan Sales 01/06/14 - Mario Kart 8 Week! (>325k SW, 19k HW)

Let's look it at the bright side: MK is successful, even on WiiU's darkest hour.

Though, I'd rather much see MK flopping if that somehow would have ensured WiiU steady sales :(

Around the Network
tbone51 said:
Michael-5 said:

3DS is actually the really depressing bit of info, YoY sales are only 50% of what they were last year. 3DS has already peaked in Japan and I feel like it's still a new system. Nintendo needs a redesign.

3DS will remain down YoY but that just makes it worse as its number 1 in japan all year long and the only one with successful lifetime numbers :-/

Redesign? 3DS Pro LL :0 (for SSB!)

Redesigns always boost sales in Japan, look what it did for Vita. Vita's actually up YoY and selling better then 50% as well as 3DS.

A 3DS LL Slim with a better battery life and a crisper look would boost sales.

What is with all the hate? Don't read GamrReview Articles. Contact me to ADD games to the Database
Vote for the March Most Wanted / February Results

Horrible HW numbers for the Wii U!!

Seece said:
Michael-5 said:
theman1984 said:
Ps4 release a game last week and it did nothing double standards I'M Done nintendo proved that is successfully all that matters

Did Nintendo prove anything? Sony only released A game last week, Nintendo released THE game last week. Fir Nintendo's biggest IP to only add 10,000 sales is pretty meaningless. I'm actually expecting more of a boost from X.

Wait until FFXV releases in Japan, then PS4 sales will explode.

----

BTW there is SOME good news, WiiU only needs 40,000 more sales then last year to catch up. If it's selling 13,000 a week better that's only 3-4 weeks. Plus I expect a bigger holiday boost.

It's 69,000 behind.

239k so far this year, 308k last year.

Also it's going to drop so the gains will get smaller than this week (obviously) as for better holiday? Complete toss up as to whether that'll happen or not.

Well it was only selling 6k a week last year. Before Mario Kart WiiU was selling 9k a week this year. So 69k would be 23 weeks at that rate. However Mario Kart should perma-boost WiiU weekly sales to maybe 11k? Then it's only 14 weeks to go.

I think WiiU will be up YoY. As for the holidays, WiiU has a lot more to offer this year then last. Last year it was just Super Mario and Pikmin. This year there is Hyrule Warriors, Smash Bros, X (Maybe), SMT x Fire Emblem (maybe) and Bayonetta 2. Plus a lot of people will pick up the system for Mario Kart as well

What is with all the hate? Don't read GamrReview Articles. Contact me to ADD games to the Database
Vote for the March Most Wanted / February Results

Dat attach rate for Mario Kart XD

Selling 360k on such a small userbase is pretty amazing.

So in conclusion: WiiU outsold all other home consoles combined this week while still selling awful numbers. Go figure. I'm curious as to how the new baseline is going to look going forward (or if it ends up going back to sub 10k in no time).

Around the Network
Michael-5 said:
Seece said:

It's 69,000 behind.

Also it's going to drop so the gains will get smaller than this week (obviously) as for better holiday? Complete toss up as to whether that'll happen or not.

Well it was only selling 6k a week last year. Before Mario Kart WiiU was selling 9k a week this year. So 69k would be 23 weeks at that rate. However Mario Kart should perma-boost WiiU weekly sales to maybe 11k? Then it's only 14 weeks to go.

I think WiiU will be up YoY. As for the holidays, WiiU has a lot more to offer this year then last. Last year it was just Super Mario and Pikmin. This year there is Hyrule Warriors, Smash Bros, X (Maybe), SMT x Fire Emblem (maybe) and Bayonetta 2. Plus a lot of people will pick up the system for Mario Kart as well

It was 9k the week before MK, before that it was below WiiU yoy, you need to look back more than 1 week. Also I don't know if you can assume any sort of permanent boost in Japan, sales are too volatile there. If the boost was this weak why are you expecting such a good baseline?

I heard exactly the last thing last holiday for WiiU "Cheaper, more games, will sell better!" it didn't, it sold worse, in every country.

Seece said:
Michael-5 said:
Seece said:

It's 69,000 behind.

It was 9k the week before MK, before that it was below WiiU yoy, you need to look back more than 1 week. Also I don't know if you can assume any sort of permanent boost in Japan, sales are too volatile there. If the boost was this week why are you expecting such a good baseline?

I heard exactly the last thing last holiday for WiiU "Cheaper, more games, will sell better!" it didn't, it sold worse, in every country.

Except in NA.

I predict NX launches in 2017 - not 2016

fleischr said:
Seece said:

It was 9k the week before MK, before that it was below WiiU yoy, you need to look back more than 1 week. Also I don't know if you can assume any sort of permanent boost in Japan, sales are too volatile there. If the boost was this week why are you expecting such a good baseline?

Except in NA.

Nope.

Nov 12 - 425k
Dec 12 - 460k

Nov 13 - 220k
Dec 13 - 480k

~ Quote tree shortened - TruckOSaurus ~

Seece said:

It was 9k the week before MK, before that it was below WiiU yoy, you need to look back more than 1 week. Also I don't know if you can assume any sort of permanent boost in Japan, sales are too volatile there. If the boost was this weak why are you expecting such a good baseline?

So, do you think the Wii U will sell better during the Holiday season this year or not? 

So, Mario Kart 8 didn't move consoles?
Wii U bump beyond terrible. Can't even outsell 3DS.
Wii U outselling PS4 3:1.
Vita crawling back to sub 10k.
MK8 sold 60% of 3DWorld LTD and 300% more than DK LTD.

Proud to be the first cool Nintendo fan ever

Number ONE Zelda fan in the Universe

DKCTF didn't move consoles

Prediction: No Zelda HD for Wii U, quietly moved to the succesor

Predictions for Nintendo NX and Mobile