By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Bullshots : The Thread

Boutros said:
burning_phoneix said:

Anyone remember the Heavy Rain Promo at E3 2006?

It turned out looking exactly the same??

Watch the Heavy Rain Casting trailer from E3 2006 and then compare the animation and mocap to the game when it finally released 4 years later.

Around the Network
burning_phoneix said:
Boutros said:
burning_phoneix said:

Anyone remember the Heavy Rain Promo at E3 2006?

It turned out looking exactly the same??

Watch the Heavy Rain Casting trailer from E3 2006 and then compare the animation and mocap to the game when it finally released 4 years later.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JuitbK5kO90

That's pretty much exactly how Headvy Rain is...I can't tell the difference.

So it looks like Forza Horizon 2 will join the bullshot crowd (at least for ingame graphics). Did they already release bullshot Driveclub shots? The game footage looks good, but it wouldn't surprise me if they had some bs media out there somewhere.

Man o man, e3 is going to be bullshot city. Can't wait.

Arkaign said:

I am starting this thread as a place to throw all the bullshots you can think of over the years, and likely ones that we're seeing more recently (and the inevitable bullshots we will get @ E3).

Bullshots are pics/videos of games that are not what the final product will be like, usually intentionally run/rendered on high end PCs due to wanting to make the product super exciting or hype-worthy. Sometimes it can be also attributable to incompetence.

This isn't a console-war thread either, pretty much platform has seen bullshots over the years, and they're VERY common with new console launches timeframes.

A famous past example was Killzone 2 2005 Target Render trailer. While the end results were admirable in many ways, we never saw the full quality of that 2005 trailer achieved in the end product.

More recently you have the 'Downgradaton' with Watch Dogs from 2012. Another target render with quality set unreasonably high, and the end product falling short of that even on $4,000 PC rigs. And of course, Forza, Alien : Colonial Marines, Dark Souls 2, so on and so forth.

I can definitely guarantee that we're not through with Bullshots and downgrades, it's just the nature of the industry these days. What's next, and what are some others you've noticed.

I'm laying a huge bet that the Quantum Break footage is basically BS (in terms of what players will actually get on XB1 consoles). A dead giveaway in many cases is the use of language. Whenever you hear phrases like 'in engine', or 'on X console hardware', it's sneaky ways of covering their butts. 'X console hardware' can mean a high end PC dev kit that happens to have the console branding for the dev purposes. And 'in engine', great, another meaningless term entirely. 'In-engine' on a $5,000+ PC perhaps. I have little doubt that at least another example lies somewhere in the Sony lineup as well. Like I said, it's annoyingly common.

bolded: is simply untrue.

the final game was vastly superior to the graphics in that 2005 trailer, no contest. the character mode;s, gun details, explosions, and animations were way better in the finished game.

i swear people dont even look at that 2005 trailer, re-watch it the graphics were bad compared to the final game

Heavy rain ended up looking better than the promo.

Around the Network

Remember when a lot of people on here screamed infamous SS had been downgraded. And then the same people claim they can't tell the difference between 1080p and 720p, they then are also adamant their shitty Samsung led is better than a Panny60vt60. 

Killzone 2 CGI reveal trailer

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b-4HNmuEAKg

They slapped a bunch of flashy filters on the actual game to try to hide the downgrade, but the smoke, explosions, and animation here is leagues beyond the finished product.

COLD_COBRA_ said:
Heavy rain ended up looking better than the promo.

Lmao good one bud.

Edit: sorry wrong person.

curl-6 said:

They slapped a bunch of flashy filters on the actual game to try to hide the downgrade, but the smoke, explosions, and animation here is leagues beyond the finished product.

Yeah, the final KZ2 game looked much better than this.

Lawlight said:
curl-6 said:

Yeah, the final KZ2 game looked much better than this.

Not even close; it cranks up the shiny-ness and glare/contrast filters to try to look better, but even Killzone Shadowfall on PS4 doesn't have animations/smoke/explosions as good as the 2005 trailer.