By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - PS3 offerings at GDC - Wasn't a complete bust

No way to spin, this year sucked... But hopefully Gamer's day, and E3 are better.

Around the Network

Part of it is Sony and most developers seem to prefer to make announcements on a normal boring week. They get more hype as a result.

To announce a new game or show your trailer, etc. in the midst of 100 pieces of new information is a lost cause. You get drowned out--or at least have a dampened effect. Why compete for attention? Gain attention when nobody else is clammoring for it.

It's better to save your announcements for a dull week so you're the talk for a long while.

PSN ID: Sorrow880

Gamertag: Sorrow80

Wii #: 8132 1076 3416 7450

Devilstation said:
I was a little dissapointed not to have seen LBP and a bit more on Home

There was an announcement about home that they are nearing public beta and making a lot of fixes and improvements. Not much new was said by any of the first party guys, but GDC was never the stage for that. Last year was big because of Home and LBP and people have been wanting those ever since, but there are a lot of announcements happening all the time. This should be a good year despite GDC not blowing anyone away.

Games

Developer

Conference

so yahh.

ssj12 said:
forgot to put the PhyreEngine on the list, added.

IF I missed anything else let me know.

This was their biggest announcement, in my opinion.

I'm personally interested in PixelJunk Eden, though.  

http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a324/Arkives/Disccopy.jpg%5B/IMG%5D">http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a324/Arkives/Disccopy.jpg%5B/IMG%5D">

Around the Network

Has any1 seen the CryEngine2 doing the bravia commercial realtime. I have a question. Where was it running?

Nice summary. Thanks.

allot of people here that say Sony didn't have a good showing tend to forget that this was a conference for developers and while certain things were shown that catch our attention the rest was just for the developers.

E3 or Sony's gamers day is what we as consumers should looking forward to as these 2 shows are what are dedicated to us, it'll be here that Sony makes the big announcements and shows all it has to show.

why do people expect Sony to do anything in GDC? Sony had NO conference at all. Just like Nintendo. Get over it. Geez!

Soriku (Feb 10/08): In 5 years the PS3/360 will be dead.

KH3 bet: "If KH3 comes to Wii exclusive, I will take a 1 month of sig/avatar by otheres open a thread apologize and praise you guys' brilliance." http://vgchartz.com/forum/thread.php?start=50&id=18379
Original cast: Badonkadonkhr, sc94597 allaboutthegames885, kingofwale, Soriku, ctk495, skeezer, RDBRaptor, Mirson,

Episode 1: OOPSY!
selnor
: Too Human I even expect 3-4 mill entire life and 500,000 first day. GoW2 ( expect 7 - 9 million entire life and over 2 mill first day), Fable 2 (expect 5-6 million entire life and 1.5 mill fist day) BK3 (expect 4 - 5 mill sales entire life and 1 mill first day).. Tales/IU/TLR should get to 2 or 3 million! post id: 868878
Episode 2:
Letsdance: FFXIII (PS3+360) first week in NA = 286K
According to pre-order rate in week 13 (post id: 2902544)
jake_the_fake1 said:
allot of people here that say Sony didn't have a good showing tend to forget that this was a conference for developers and while certain things were shown that catch our attention the rest was just for the developers.

Even though I was disappointed by Sony's GDC showing, I was just about to say the same thing. It's not an Expo like E for all, it's a... wait for it.. Game Developers CONFERENCE.

I recall a thread in I think the MS board that said MS must blow people away at GDC to beat Sony, I think it was pretty useless them revealing Gears 2 when their competitors Sony and Nintendo didn't show much on the products front.

EDIT: Though I must say that I'm pretty excited about how Pixel Junk is expanding, because I didn't like the RTS nature of Monsters.