By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - PS4 and Wii cross streams: Wii now ahead of PS4 at the same point in time

Will PS4 regain the 1st position?

Damn right it will! 165 38.73%

Not a chance, son. 259 60.80%

Total:424

Pretty much expected. PS4 will remain consistent and only grow from here on out, especially once we start seeing more and more AAA titles. Such is the trend of the Playstation console. Wii was on the rise for the first few years, before it plummeted drastically after it's biggest titles were released. Wii YoY will remain ahead for a good while probably, but PS4 will still outsell it lifetime by far, in the end.

0331 Happiness is a belt-fed weapon

Around the Network

The ps4 will be looking at the wii's tale lights for the next 5 years.... Yes, I'm saying the ps4 will not hit 100 million in another 5 years. It may pass it eventually, but even that remains to be seen. 250k per week even though it was actually supply constrained.... That's a lot to sell even tho they couldn't keep up. The ps4 is selling 120k and is not supply constrained. It won't be close for a long time.

small44 said:
cpg716 said:
torok said:
cpg716 said:
Generation 8 Totals:
PS4: 85-95m
X1: 65-75m
WiiU: 40-50

Why do people believe that a console like PS4, tracking ahead of all competition and even its predecessors, with 60% sales share will end selling worse than all other PS consoles? I don't get the logic in "outselling its predecessors means selling less than them LT".

Despite that, it still includes Wii U beasting to 50M and X1 regaining lost ground.

Because of my FIRST sentence.. This will not be a 8+ year generation.  I believe it will only be 5 years..  so that takes away 3-4 years of sales...  I still have the PS4 outselling the PS3 in 5 years span..    The X1 was ahead of the X360 in its first 6 months.. being way more expensive and in way less countries..  so I still see it doing decent in the long term.. with the price drop especially.  

But it all comes down to a shorter lifespan for this generation.

I really don't know why you think this generation will be shorter then last generation

I agree with him. The difference being that this generation started with underpowered consoles. The ps360 were pretty top of the line upon release. There's nothing cutting edge this time around. They are average, and will last as such.

It can still pass it if it has as long of a life-cycle as the PS3.

think-man said:
DerNebel said:
I stand by what I always said: the PS4 doesn't need to outsell the Wii now to outsell it lifetime, it just needs to have a longer life.

The Wii peaked and died quickly, if the PS4 can last as long as the PS3 and keep selling good then it will outsell it for sure.

This

You're Gonna Carry That Weight.

Xbox One - PS4 - Wii U - PC

Around the Network
jlmurph2 said:
Xenostar said:
jlmurph2 said:

Just saying, it was throughout the whole year and not just holidays that Wii was supply constrained.

Fair enough still an acheivment for a £350 console to outsell a £179 console for 6 months, especially when the bottom has fallen out of console gaming in Japan. If you look at just western numbers, PS4 is still significantly ahead. 

I thought this thread was about Worldwide? But trust if the Wii was available like how the PS4 is/was for these 6 months, there wouldn't be as many of these excuses. Bottom line is that it's not logical for this gen to last as long as 7th gen with how fast tech is moving now. So if PS4 wants to sell more than the Wii, it has to do Wii numbers/better than Wii numbers, which it won't. What's gonna be the excuse when Wii passes it in western numbers too?

You really don't think PS4 can pass Wii?

Sigs are dumb. And so are you!

Madword said:
Yeah I don't think anyone is surprised by this, but I think longer term PS4 has better legs, I think it can do 120m.

PS4 is x86 chipset, it started out of the gate with two gunshot wounds and will be obsolete even faster than its progenitors as it doesn't have the efficiency of PPC architecture.

If the PS4 has strong legs (which I think it will) then yes it will pass up Wii. The Wii had a super strong, record-breaking 2006-2009. Ever since 2010 the Wii's sales have dropped sharply and now it's barley selling anything. The PS3 used to be selling a lot worse but is now almost caught up because it had better legs. As soon as it seems like it will be impossible for PS4 to outsell the Wii in a couple of years, the PS4 will start catching up to the Wii fast due to the huge drop since 2010.

PS4 won't outsell Wii. It will be lucky to outsell PS3, if games keep getting delayed and downgraded. It's had one must-have title, Infamous. By this point in the lifecycle, even Wii U had multiple games worth playing as exclusives (LEGO City, NSMBU, ZombiU). Can I be so bold? I think I will. Wii U will take the lead over PS4 after this holiday season.

PS4 will pass wii, is only matter of time.
i would bet in 2019.