By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - THe science thread.

kingofwale said:
>My fact is that there is a White Dwarf about 4,000km made all of diamond because of the high density.

does it really? how did it end up with that many carbon atoms?

Fact: (sticking with Astronomy), our galaxy (Milky Way) and M31 (Andromeda) will collide in just a little over 2 billion years. most likely destroying the planet and pretty much anything in both galaxies.

Stars like the Sun are powered by nuclear fusion of hydrogen into helium.  When they start to run out of hydrogen, they collapse inward until enough pressure is created for the helium core to support itself.  The increased pressure causes the hydrogen fusion to happen more rapidly, and the increased energy throws the outer layers of hydrogen outward, creating a red giant.

Eventually, the star will begin to exhaust its remaining supply of hydrogen, and the energy drop will cause it to collapse further.  When enough pressure is created, the helium will begin nuclear fusion, creating beryllium.  The beryllium isotope created by helium fusion has an extremely short half-life, but if there is enough energy and pressure, a third helium will fuse with the beryllium to create carbon. 

Around the Network

a ton of stones weighs the exact amount as a ton of feathers. its true!!! :P

Ants don't sleep. Really.

nerds.

misterd said:
kingofwale said:
sc94597 said:
^ Yeah I found out that if there are 2 black holes they emerge to create even a more massive one. That is how supermassive black holes were formed by two regular black holes emerging then 2 more then 2 more until it was very large. That choas theory is interesting I don't know why I have never heard about it before now. I think something similar to a type IA supernova would happen if two stars collided just on a smaller scale because there isn't a white dwarf in the equation.

with that many stars and gravitational fields, Chao theory is the only way we can use, and since we aren't smart enough to compute it, we are pretty much screwed. lol

if two stars collide head-on, yeah, it will unleash something in the magnitude of a massive supernovae, anyone anywhere near it would die instantly from the shockwaves. And it will probably happen almost everywhere you look if M31 and Milky Way collides. It's going to be awesome, before you die. lol

It's interesting though, when a blackhole takes in planet/light, it transfers mass into energy and where will that be stored? and since you can't destory energy, it has to come out somewhere eventually, and we have never observed such a massive amount of unleashing energy.

Would we really get that many collisions, though? I know that there are a lot of stars, but there's far more space between them.

Ah! Here's something from my beloved Hayden Planetarium:

http://www.haydenplanetarium.org/resources/ava/page/index.php?file=G0601andmilwy

Oh yeah, there will still be a lot of space between them, but with all the gravitational field of each stars, you never know what's going to happen. Chao theory is the best idea we have to explain all the motion of the planets. I've seen computer animation of what is likely to happen, and it's pretty crazy stuff to say the least.

psst, I up your ban to 100 million years. ;)

Soriku (Feb 10/08): In 5 years the PS3/360 will be dead.

KH3 bet: "If KH3 comes to Wii exclusive, I will take a 1 month of sig/avatar by otheres open a thread apologize and praise you guys' brilliance." http://vgchartz.com/forum/thread.php?start=50&id=18379
Original cast: Badonkadonkhr, sc94597 allaboutthegames885, kingofwale, Soriku, ctk495, skeezer, RDBRaptor, Mirson,

Episode 1: OOPSY!
selnor
: Too Human I even expect 3-4 mill entire life and 500,000 first day. GoW2 ( expect 7 - 9 million entire life and over 2 mill first day), Fable 2 (expect 5-6 million entire life and 1.5 mill fist day) BK3 (expect 4 - 5 mill sales entire life and 1 mill first day).. Tales/IU/TLR should get to 2 or 3 million! post id: 868878
Episode 2:
Letsdance: FFXIII (PS3+360) first week in NA = 286K
According to pre-order rate in week 13 (post id: 2902544)
Around the Network

Fact: there are no worms in wormholes

kingofwale said:
misterd said:
kingofwale said:
sc94597 said:
^ Yeah I found out that if there are 2 black holes they emerge to create even a more massive one. That is how supermassive black holes were formed by two regular black holes emerging then 2 more then 2 more until it was very large. That choas theory is interesting I don't know why I have never heard about it before now. I think something similar to a type IA supernova would happen if two stars collided just on a smaller scale because there isn't a white dwarf in the equation.

with that many stars and gravitational fields, Chao theory is the only way we can use, and since we aren't smart enough to compute it, we are pretty much screwed. lol

if two stars collide head-on, yeah, it will unleash something in the magnitude of a massive supernovae, anyone anywhere near it would die instantly from the shockwaves. And it will probably happen almost everywhere you look if M31 and Milky Way collides. It's going to be awesome, before you die. lol

It's interesting though, when a blackhole takes in planet/light, it transfers mass into energy and where will that be stored? and since you can't destory energy, it has to come out somewhere eventually, and we have never observed such a massive amount of unleashing energy.

Would we really get that many collisions, though? I know that there are a lot of stars, but there's far more space between them.

Ah! Here's something from my beloved Hayden Planetarium:

http://www.haydenplanetarium.org/resources/ava/page/index.php?file=G0601andmilwy

Oh yeah, there will still be a lot of space between them, but with all the gravitational field of each stars, you never know what's going to happen. Chao theory is the best idea we have to explain all the motion of the planets. I've seen computer animation of what is likely to happen, and it's pretty crazy stuff to say the least.

psst, I up your ban to 100 million years. ;)

Deal!

Here's something from way back about 5 years ago:

There is a point around a black hole in which the force of gravity is so great that even light will orbit it within a certain distance. Theoretically, on that exact line, if one were capable of observing without being sucked into the black hole, they would see the orbit as being that of a straight line. Inside of that line, the light would actually appear to curve AWAY from the black hole.

It has been found that inside of this zone, the centripetal effect is actually the reverse of what it should be during an orbit.

I myself have theorized that this implies that much how light determines the distortion of time, but that every other physical vector within this universe is is distorted based on light. While you can go backwards, you cannot have a negative velocity, it is merely a velocity in a different direction.

Of course, that was 5 years, and may have already been explained some other way or completely disproven, but I still found it extremely interesting at the time.

Seppukuties is like LBP Lite, on crack. Play it already!

Currently wrapped up in: Half Life, Portal, and User Created Source Mods
Games I want: (Wii)Mario Kart, Okami, Bully, Conduit,  No More Heroes 2 (GC) Eternal Darkness, Killer7, (PS2) Ico, God of War1&2, Legacy of Kain: SR2&Defiance

My Prediction: Wii will be achieve 48% market share by the end of 2008, and will achieve 50% by the end of june of 09. Prediction Failed.

<- Click to see more of her

FACT: The Universe will eventually freeze to death then eventually implode thanks to dark energy and dark matter.

PC gaming is better than console gaming. Always.     We are Anonymous, We are Legion    Kick-ass interview   Great Flash Series Here    Anime Ratings     Make and Play Please
Amazing discussion about being wrong
Official VGChartz Folding@Home Team #109453

fact: Pluto is a rock.......... and an imaginary dog.

Fact: Cosmologists make a living by coming up with  some "out of this world" bull.