By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - THe science thread.

Fact: Wormholes are awesome oops that was an opinion. Fact: I think wormholes are awesome there now its a fact.

Around the Network

Fact: There are 60,000 miles in blood vessels in every human.

Fact: You can hypnotize a chicken!

Fact: You can have an erection once dead!

Fact: Your hand can have a life of it's own

http://www.2spare.com/item_39909.aspx

kingofwale said:
sc94597 said:
^ Yeah I found out that if there are 2 black holes they emerge to create even a more massive one. That is how supermassive black holes were formed by two regular black holes emerging then 2 more then 2 more until it was very large. That choas theory is interesting I don't know why I have never heard about it before now. I think something similar to a type IA supernova would happen if two stars collided just on a smaller scale because there isn't a white dwarf in the equation.

with that many stars and gravitational fields, Chao theory is the only way we can use, and since we aren't smart enough to compute it, we are pretty much screwed. lol

if two stars collide head-on, yeah, it will unleash something in the magnitude of a massive supernovae, anyone anywhere near it would die instantly from the shockwaves. And it will probably happen almost everywhere you look if M31 and Milky Way collides. It's going to be awesome, before you die. lol

It's interesting though, when a blackhole takes in planet/light, it transfers mass into energy and where will that be stored? and since you can't destory energy, it has to come out somewhere eventually, and we have never observed such a massive amount of unleashing energy.

Would we really get that many collisions, though? I know that there are a lot of stars, but there's far more space between them.

Ah! Here's something from my beloved Hayden Planetarium:

http://www.haydenplanetarium.org/resources/ava/page/index.php?file=G0601andmilwy

kingofwale said:
>4.6? Are you kidding? It's going to be at least 4.8. Anyone care for a wager?

Oh, you are SOOOO on! I wager the universe. ;)

I can't match a universe. Howabout a 1 week ban?

Around the Network
kingofwale said:
>My fact is that there is a White Dwarf about 4,000km made all of diamond because of the high density.

does it really? how did it end up with that many carbon atoms?

Fact: (sticking with Astronomy), our galaxy (Milky Way) and M31 (Andromeda) will collide in just a little over 2 billion years. most likely destroying the planet and pretty much anything in both galaxies.

he said fact, not full of shit.

I am WEEzY. You can suck my Nintendo loving BALLS!

MynameisGARY

Fact: Penguins can poop for distance! In order to avoid defecating on themselves, they can shoot their poop up to 6 feet away.

Fact: Some fruit flies can produce individual sperm as long as their entire body.

Fact: Cat penises are barbed.

kingofwale said:
sc94597 said:
^ Yeah I found out that if there are 2 black holes they emerge to create even a more massive one. That is how supermassive black holes were formed by two regular black holes emerging then 2 more then 2 more until it was very large. That choas theory is interesting I don't know why I have never heard about it before now. I think something similar to a type IA supernova would happen if two stars collided just on a smaller scale because there isn't a white dwarf in the equation.

with that many stars and gravitational fields, Chao theory is the only way we can use, and since we aren't smart enough to compute it, we are pretty much screwed. lol

if two stars collide head-on, yeah, it will unleash something in the magnitude of a massive supernovae, anyone anywhere near it would die instantly from the shockwaves. And it will probably happen almost everywhere you look if M31 and Milky Way collides. It's going to be awesome, before you die. lol

It's interesting though, when a blackhole takes in planet/light, it transfers mass into energy and where will that be stored? and since you can't destory energy, it has to come out somewhere eventually, and we have never observed such a massive amount of unleashing energy.

A nice little adjunct to what you're speaking about:

Fact: Energy cannot exist purely on its own, it has to be attached/manifested through something "physical" (term used loosely).

@everyone,

Here is an interesting article for those interested in learning a bit more about about the beginning of time: http://www.sciamdigital.com/promo/Sciam_Digital_Sample.pdf

Its a promo of Scienctific American from a while back, it has the full article iirc though. Scroll down to the article entitled "The Myth About the Beginning of Time", its starts on page 13 of the PDF. Its a bit long-winded but well worth it.

To Each Man, Responsibility
Sqrl said:
kingofwale said:
sc94597 said:

A nice little adjunct to what you're speaking about:

Fact: Energy cannot exist purely on its own, it has to be attached/manifested through something "physical" (term used loosely).

@everyone,

Here is an interesting article for those interested in learning a bit more about about the beginning of time: http://www.sciamdigital.com/promo/Sciam_Digital_Sample.pdf

Its a promo of Scienctific American from a while back, it has the full article iirc though. Scroll down to the article entitled "The Myth About the Beginning of Time", its starts on page 13 of the PDF. Its a bit long-winded but well worth it.

Thank you for adding that. I will read that article later today when I wake up.         

@misterd
yeah penguins poop rockets out behind them. i saw a penguin poop in the denver zoo last summer and it was awesome!

and to whoever said they thought there is only one black hole in a galaxy. no, there are many black holes in galaxies formed when the most massive stars go supernova and explode out their outer layers while imploding inwards in a kind of rebound effect. the innards collapse into to form a black hole thus tearing the space-time continuum. but it is thought that most galaxies have a super black hole at their center. which i find likely since stars are clustered much tighter in the center of a spiral galaxy like ours and so it makes sense that black holes close together in the center would eventually hit each other and form a massive one.

i love astronomy.

end of '08 predictions: wii - 43 million,  360 - 25 million, ps3 - 20 million

Games I've beat recently: Super Mario Galaxy, Knights of the Old Republic, Shadow of the Collossus

Proud owner of wii, gamecube, xbox, ps2, dreamcast, n64, snes, genesis, 3DO, nes, atari, intellivision, unisonic tournament 2000, and gameboy