By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Mages’ Xbox One Exclusives Cause Extremely Negative Reaction Among Japanese Viewers: 66.5% Displeased

Yesterday the prominent visual novel developers Mages. and 5pb. announced three Xbox One exclusive (at least for now) visual novels for the Japanese market during a livestream on the popular video portal Nico Nico, but the gamers watching the broadcast didn’t exactly appreciate what they saw.

At the end of every Nico Nico stream the system runs a poll to gauge the audience’s appreciation of the show, and in this case the results weren’t really what you’d call positive, as you can see from the screen capture below.

Here’s a translation of the result:

1. It was very good: 12,8%
  2. It was pretty good: 6.6%
  3. It was average: 14.0%
  4. It wasn’t very good: 16.5%
  5. It was bad: 50%

That’s a massive 66.5% of viewers displeased by what they saw. In the past few years I followed a ton of gaming-related broadcasts on Nico Nico, but I don’t think I ever saw this kind of overwhelmingly negative result before.

Turning on Nico Nico’s infamous on-screen comments painted an even worse situation, with long strinng of “www” scrolling all over the screen. That’s the Japanese equivalent of our “lol,” and it basically means that the announcement was followed by a storm of laughing and mocking.

Personally, I think it’s quite interesting to see this kind of games heading to the Xbox One (it isn’t such a new occurrence, as the Xbox 360 got its fair share of visual novels too), but his kind of result isn’t too surprising, considering the fact that Japanese gamers have been very refractary towards the Xbox brand for the past two generations.

As a matter of fact, if we want to look at it from a different angle, and considering the abysmal local sales of the Xbox 360, we could even say that managing to get a 19.4% positive rating could be defined an achievement.

http://www.dualshockers.com/2014/05/27/mages-xbox-one-exclusives-cause-very-negative-reaction-among-japanese-viewers-66-5-displeased/

Around the Network

No one knows the details of the polls, we don't know the location of the voters. We have seen negative reviews for xbox games from a group of gamers that don't even have the console. Keep pushing forward MSFT.

Is this Bayonetta2 levels only localized to Japan?

i think it mainly got downvoted cause people were expecting actual games not visual novels. plus some people just hate everything xbox so theirs that

shikamaru317 said:

Just wait till Microsoft drops a Japanese exclusive megaton at E3 or TGS. I've got my popcorn ready. 

bayonetta3 x1 exclusive and watch the world burn hahahaha

Around the Network

Microsoft has taken off the kid gloves. They're ready to go head to head with the PSP for the VN crown.

Personally, I've never heard of Mystereet, Chaos;Head was generic and goofy (assuming it's related to Chaos;Child), but a Psycho Pass game might be interesting.

Well. X360 got a lot of otaku-style PC games - most fans of the platform in Japan are either in it for that, or they are westaboos, so the announcement isn't surprising. I assume the bad reaction comes from all the people who would like these games, don't care to get them on PC and have no intention of buying an X1.

Azerth said:
i think it mainly got downvoted cause people were expecting actual games not visual novels. plus some people just hate everything xbox so theirs that

It's the vast, vast majority of what 5pb produce.  I have to imagine that 99% of the people watching this broadcast knew what to expect going in.

shikamaru317 said:

Just wait till Microsoft drops a Japanese exclusive megaton at E3 or TGS. I've got my popcorn ready. 

A Waifu dating game?

That's just hilarious.........with ps4 and wii u failing in japan.........x1 with this should easily get that 250K lifetime milestone in japan!
:D (lol.)