By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Kaz Hirai: "Sony will "rigorously pursue" PS4 sales", "increasing installed base more important than profit growth"

sully1311 said:
Intrinsic said:

Honestly, what i would really do is not just drop the price to $299 but also make a disc driveless SKU and sell that for $199. Then sell a blu-ray drive add-on seperately for $120.

Wow, just wow.

Sounds crazy I know. But think of it, do you know how well a $199 PS4 without a blu-ray drive will sell?

Especially if you consider that if you ever want  drive somehwere down the road you could buy one, actually, the should make it be that in addition to using the official PS4 external blu-ray drive ($120) you could use any external blu-ray drive too. Then of course those that want to buy the PS4 as is could still do so for $299. If no pricedrops are done then this could also apply to the current pricing. $400 PS4 as is and $299 PS4 without a disc drive.

Around the Network
Intrinsic said:
sully1311 said:
Intrinsic said:

Honestly, what i would really do is not just drop the price to $299 but also make a disc driveless SKU and sell that for $199. Then sell a blu-ray drive add-on seperately for $120.

Wow, just wow.

Sounds crazy I know. But think of it, do you know how well a $199 PS4 without a blu-ray drive will sell?

Especially if you consider that if you ever want  drive somehwere down the road you could buy one, actually, the should make it be that in addition to using the official PS4 external blu-ray drive ($120) you could use any external blu-ray drive too. Then of course those that want to buy the PS4 as is could still do so for $299. If no pricedrops are done then this could also apply to the current pricing. $400 PS4 as is and $299 PS4 without a disc drive.

It doesn't matter how well it would do, Sony would lose absolutely **** loads of money on it

thismeintiel said:

You honestly think MS is going to drop the price more than the $100 (albiet without Kinect) they are now?  Highly doubt it.  MS may have a lot of money, but they are hardly in the position to start throwing even more at the Xbox division when they have a few big investors breathing down their neck to drop the brand all together.  Even Gates recently said that if the new CEO decides to spin off the Xbox brand into its own company (where it would either die off without MS's money or be sold to someone else), he wouldn't oppose it.

@ OP

Not sure if they will drop a full $50.  But, I do see them taking a similar kind of loss they were at launch, so maybe a $25 cut to $374.99.  Not only would this not create a huge loss, but it would also negate the One price cut almost completely.

I see why not. At $399 without kinect, they would be making a profit. Their profit margin might even be larger than Sony's, since the PS4 is more powerful and is sold at the same price.  So just like Sony, if they want to stay competitive and gain marketshare, then they too can drop it as low as Sony's price or more. And the same argument that you use for Sony can be used for MS, which is that if the hardware is sold at a loss, then they can still recover the losses with software and Live memberships. 

NNID: FrequentFlyer54

Rigorously pursue THIS.

*unzips recovery plan*

WHERE IS MY KORORINPA 3

outlawauron said:
A price cut would be pretty ruthless. Instead, I expect a nice new bundle announced at E3 with a game packed in at $400.

or a 1tb HDD model replacing the 500gb for the same $400

Get Your Portable ID!Lord of Ratchet and Clank

Duke of Playstation Plus

Warden of Platformers

Around the Network

Oh

"increasing installed base more important than profit growth"

So, no change in strategy over nearly 20 years of business. I wonder if Kaz's plan is to sell off the rest of the company and just make Sony all about PlayStation.

WHERE IS MY KORORINPA 3

Makes sense.

Ohhh, he must mean the delaystation 4

I wish they felt that way about their portable.

"Kaz Hirai: "Sony will "rigorously pursue" PS4 sales", "increasing installed base more important than profit growth""

This is complete bs. If increasing install base was more important than profit growth, they wouldn't be sitting on their asses getting nothing but last gen games while Microsoft is securing next gen exclusives.

Sony doesn't have to secure exclusives to get sales right now, but they'd get more sales by doing so.  They only have a three million lead.  They're not that far ahead.