By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - About the "eigth gen is only a prettier seventh gen" argument

GProgrammer said:
NightDragon83 said:

32/64 - 128 bit saw even more advanced 3D graphics, improved storage mediums, and for the first time fully realized online gameplay on 3 out of the 4 major consoles of the gen.
128 bit

We've never seen 128bit

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_video_game_consoles_%28sixth_generation%29

While the consoles of this gen did not technically have legit 128 bit CPUs, this gen was referred to as the "128-bit gen".

On 2/24/13, MB1025 said:
You know I was always wondering why no one ever used the dollar sign for $ony, but then I realized they have no money so it would be pointless.

Around the Network
Intrinsic said:
NightDragon83 said:

See: "law of diminishing returns". So far the 8th gen represents the smallest inter-generational leap in terms of graphics, hardware and gameplay features that we've seen.

8-16 bit went from a handful of colors, tiny sprites and just two buttons to mega sprites, hundreds of colors, mode 7, and 6 buttons.

16-32/64 bit went from improved 2D graphics to fully realized 3D graphics and CD quality sound, more buttons, and 360 degree analog control.

You conveninetly skipped a generation to validate your point?

We had the 8bit generation (NES: Super mario world, duck hunt, metal gear) then we had the 16bit gen (SNES: contra 3, final fight, street fighter 2, mortal kombat)

If you look at the above mentioned generations, while inroads were made into mode 7, it was still all 2d gaming. just with better sound, sprites and more colours on screen. 

The jump from PS3/360 to PS4/XBO is exactly the same thing with the jump from the 8bit era to the 16bit era with the differences being more in the details and how much more of those details and to what level they can be rendered than a complete generational shift in game design. If you really wanna get into it, we can actually go even further gack all the way to the commodore, amstrad, amiga...etc and you will see that in the past 30yrs of gaming there has been only two evolutionary shifts. 2D to 3D and then 3D to 3D HD. 

Every generation also brings in something extra, like the example you made about more buttons and online gaming, last gen brought it motion gaming (which in truth was just carried over from the PS2 gen) and a more expansive network. This gen so far has just built on all those tings and at least with the PS4 wil be bringing streaming gaming in PSnow (which in truth is just built on something that existed in the previous gen too) and VR. And of course we have mobile app supported stuff.

Personally, i think gamers today just whine, bitch and complain more than ever to the point where they write a lot of stuff that actually aren't based on any facts. Actually, they go as far as twist the actual facts to paint the exact kinda picture they want for what reason I have no idea.... maybe its cool or something.

And if we really went into detail especially on the hardware side of things, you will see how much rea;ly gets added on....

Where did I skip a generation?  I illustrated the differences between hardware generations starting with gens 3-4 (anything earlier is a moot point), then 4-5, 5-6, 6-7, and now 7-8.

Are you really insisting that the technical leap from the 3rd to the 4th gen wasn't all that significant?  How can you honestly compare gen 3 games like SMB, Duck Hunt, Metal Gear etc to early SNES games like F-Zero, Pilotwings, Contra 3, etc?  These games are technically impossible on 8-bit hardware without completely changing the core gameplay mechanics and level designs.

Compare that to today... a game like Titanfall is virtually unchanged from 360 to X1 other than a slight bump in visuals.  Same goes for games like COD and BF4 on 360/X1 and PS3/4.  Gameplay-wise, there is not one single PS4/XB1 exclusive title that isn't possible on current gen hardware with just a slight down grade in the visuals department.

On 2/24/13, MB1025 said:
You know I was always wondering why no one ever used the dollar sign for $ony, but then I realized they have no money so it would be pointless.

You are probably right. Having just bought a PS4 with Infamous Second Son it lacked the wow factor of when i first played games on my PS3 but its still early days and the game sure is pretty and fun. It will be a while before we see developers using the true power of the new systems, same as before.

But it not all just about graphics. It's about bigger worlds with more to do, better physics, stories etc. Just as this last generation proved to be great, the new one will be just as good and with the games coming out in autumn/ winter and beyond it's gotta start from somewhere.

Xbox One, PS4 and Switch (+ Many Retro Consoles)

'When the people are being beaten with a stick, they are not much happier if it is called the people's stick'- Mikhail Bakunin

Prediction: Switch will sell better than Wii U Lifetime Sales by Jan 1st 2018

On the ps3, I didn't have any wow moments until MGS4 and Uncharted: Drake's Fortune.