By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Grand Theft Auto - Great or Over Rated?

both

Around the Network

I haven't played GTA V, so I can't comment on that, but I have played several other games in the series and did not care for a single one. Generally speaking, I found the characters to be unlikable, the game-play to be clunky, and the missions to be annoying. In short, I was always bored less than an hour into the game.

The worst part is that those experiences made me avoid Saint's Row. Fortunately, Saint's Row the Third came up on PS+. I gave it a try and ended up loving it.

It hasn't changed much since gta 3. That said I've still not played (and have little interest in) gta V.

The problem is, I always found the missions boring. I enjoyed doing stunts, getting police chasing me and playing around but I always felt the core game should have been something different.

I was thinking maybe if it was some sort of crime sim I would have liked it a lot more. Do away with the missions and have you start out with just your fist mugging people for money. Then buy a gun. Then hire a goon. Then drive to a little shop and have your goon run into it and rob them while you wait in the car. Eventually build a little street gang and rob banks, charge protection money and do other criminal schemes whilst trying not to get involve in to much gang warfare with rival gangs as you have to pay for hospital and bail money for your caught and injured gang member npc's. Have the whole thing completely open ended.

My idea would never sell like GTA has though.

radishhead said:
GTA is a masterpiece with every new iteration

Unless its GTAIV. Technically amazing, but incredibly boring campaign.

GTAV is the closest thing to a masterpiece we've seen since Super Mario World. So I'm not bothered by its high metascores.

Recently Completed
River City: Rival Showdown
for 3DS (3/5) - River City: Tokyo Rumble for 3DS (4/5) - Zelda: BotW for Wii U (5/5) - Zelda: BotW for Switch (5/5) - Zelda: Link's Awakening for Switch (4/5) - Rage 2 for X1X (4/5) - Rage for 360 (3/5) - Streets of Rage 4 for X1/PC (4/5) - Gears 5 for X1X (5/5) - Mortal Kombat 11 for X1X (5/5) - Doom 64 for N64 (emulator) (3/5) - Crackdown 3 for X1S/X1X (4/5) - Infinity Blade III - for iPad 4 (3/5) - Infinity Blade II - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Infinity Blade - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Wolfenstein: The Old Blood for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Origins for X1 (3/5) - Uncharted: Lost Legacy for PS4 (4/5) - EA UFC 3 for X1 (4/5) - Doom for X1 (4/5) - Titanfall 2 for X1 (4/5) - Super Mario 3D World for Wii U (4/5) - South Park: The Stick of Truth for X1 BC (4/5) - Call of Duty: WWII for X1 (4/5) -Wolfenstein II for X1 - (4/5) - Dead or Alive: Dimensions for 3DS (4/5) - Marvel vs Capcom: Infinite for X1 (3/5) - Halo Wars 2 for X1/PC (4/5) - Halo Wars: DE for X1 (4/5) - Tekken 7 for X1 (4/5) - Injustice 2 for X1 (4/5) - Yakuza 5 for PS3 (3/5) - Battlefield 1 (Campaign) for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Syndicate for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: MW Remastered for X1 (4/5) - Donkey Kong Country Returns for 3DS (4/5) - Forza Horizon 3 for X1 (5/5)

The formula of causing destruction and consequently needing to escape law enforcement is pretty fun to me, and GTA provides it on a large scale. I do think that Rockstar can do a much better job of designing a game around that concept, though. Why is drug-dealing only confined to Chinatown Wars? That was one of the most inspired mechanics GTA has ever had. :P

3DS Friend Code: 0645 - 5827 - 5788
WayForward Kickstarter is best kickstarter: http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1236620800/shantae-half-genie-hero

Around the Network

The only games in the series that deserved the scores they got were GTA III and GTA IV. The others were very overrated.

You're Gonna Carry That Weight.

Xbox One - PS4 - Wii U - PC

The PS2 titles, GTA3 in particular were so revolutionary for their time that there is NO WAY they could be overrated. As a matter of fact, they're probably not appreciated enough in that aspect.

GTA4 and now GTA5, I suppose you could argue that they are but, when you look at what you get for $60.00, it's hard to do that. I mean, the replayability is through the roof.

Definitely overrated. I'd say the series as a whole deserves to average maybe an 88. Saints Row is the series that deserves those sales.

Gta 4 at 98? Third highest rated game ever? That says it all right there. In my humble opinion, and I have not played v, gta 4 is te single most overrated game I've ever put my hands on. I fell for the hype, magazines giving it 10/10, and one quote that stuck with me since, saying that this game is how you wish every game would play like, flawless control, flawless gameplay.... I bought it, and was disappointed by how shitty it was/is, I vowed to never fall for the bullshit reviews for another in the series ever again.

If gta v was renamed, and boxed as saints row, and the next saints row was called gta v, the fake gta v would get all the bloated reviews and sales, and the real gta v that was sold as saints row would get honest reviews and sell modestly....