By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sports Discussion - The Football Thread - 17/18 Season

City will be happy with that. Showed barca way too much respect in the first half.

Anyone know if there's a match in Madrid between the 8th of March and the 15th?

Around the Network

Barca threw an easy qualification. Played much worse the second half. Really unfortunate miss by Messi at the end too, that would have probably sealed the deal.

Ka-pi96 said:
Kerotan said:
Anyone know if there's a match in Madrid between the 8th of March and the 15th?

There's a few.

8th March: Atletico Madrid vs Valencia
10th March: Real Madrid vs Schalke
14th March: Rayo Vallecano vs Granada
15th March: Real Madrid vs Levante

Sweet I'll be over visiting the woman then.  The last time I was over we got free tickets to the Liverpool vs Real match.  My uncle is one of the official real photographers so hopefully he can sort us out! 

Would have liked to see Man City go through for a change. Suarez coming back to bite them in the arse is just annoying.

Hmm, pie.

NiKKoM said:

They figured out he's not worth a 100 million euro... Bale is a great player for a team on the left, running towards the end of the pitch.. Real plays too close to the opponents goal for Bale to be effective.. 

Missed this at first. So it makes sense that when he was at Tottenham, he was playing for a worse team and therefore his style of fast paced play suited it better. Yet with a team so dominant as Real, his play style doesn't suit. Yet he's scored what? 15. For a winger it's not bad but then he is playing in Spain. :P

And no one is worth 100 million Euros, sign of a money happy industry. Okay well, FIFA and Qatar are sign of that.

Oh what are people's thoughts? Do you like the idea that your regular seasons are ruined, even if it's not for 8 years.

Hmm, pie.

Around the Network

In North America the Champion's League Quarter Finals First Legs are this week

Tuesday
Olimpia 1-1 Herediano
Pachuca 2-2 Montreal
Wednesday
Saprissa v. America
Thursday
Alajuelense v. DC United

Next week the fixtures flip for the second legs. Favorite right now is America, but I hopeful my club, DC United, can shock everyone. Should be fun tournament in any event.

Ka-pi96 said:
The Fury said:

Oh what are people's thoughts? Do you like the idea that your regular seasons are ruined, even if it's not for 8 years.

What do you mean regular seasons are ruined?

World Cup 2022 will be held in November/December of 2022.

So, the regular season will start early, stop for 2 or more months then start back up again. The tournament is only a month but players will need at least 3 weeks off before and a week after.

This will affect, not only Prem but all top flight competitions world wide, Champions league and even some lesser leagues too. World Club Cup is always held around this time so that will be delayed moved. 

Maybe I'm exageratting on the issues but it is all just a bit silly.

Hmm, pie.

The Fury said:

So, the regular season will start early, stop for 2 or more months then start back up again. The tournament is only a month but players will need at least 3 weeks off before and a week after.

This will affect, not only Prem but all top flight competitions world wide, Champions league and even some lesser leagues too. World Club Cup is always held around this time so that will be delayed moved. 

I have never been a fan of 2022 and Qatar and how bidding was handled (Australia or US would have been fine hosts).  The odd thing will be our domestic league in US and Canada will actually align really well for once with a World Cup.  I am surprised UEFA didn't throw more of a fit in regards to this.  My guess is 2022 start early and finish later in 2023 for domestic leagues.

Augen said:
The Fury said:

I have never been a fan of 2022 and Qatar and how bidding was handled (Australia or US would have been fine hosts).  The odd thing will be our domestic league in US and Canada will actually align really well for once with a World Cup.  I am surprised UEFA didn't throw more of a fit in regards to this.  My guess is 2022 start early and finish later in 2023 for domestic leagues.

How about Germany again?
That would give us a reason to extend the capacity of the stadiums or build brand new ones since the existing ones are reaching their limits.
Unfortunately many of them were built (or renovated) for the '06 WC and back then during planning phase, the attendance boom just started.
Otherwise I don't see the clubs doing such changes anytime soon. Perhaps not even for the Euros (if we get them).

Barozi said:
Augen said:

How about Germany again?
That would give us a reason to extend the capacity of the stadiums or build brand new ones since the existing ones are reaching their limits.
Unfortunately many of them were built (or renovated) for the '06 WC and back then during planning phase, the attendance boom just started.
Otherwise I don't see the clubs doing such changes anytime soon. Perhaps not even for the Euros (if we get them).

My first vote was for Australia because I think it has great promise as a sporting and foot balling nation.  Also...I want to go to Australia.

The US since 1994 has transformed in terms of accpetance and excitement for the sport.  There are also a ton of new high capacity stadiums all around the country.  I really think it would be night and day how the country felt two decades ago and would feel a decade from now.  Even difference from 2006 and 2014 has been staggering.

As for UEFA countries, Germany was a fantastic host in 2006 so no issues there. I think England has gone long enough to host the World Cup again in 2030.