By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sports Discussion - The Football Thread - 17/18 Season

Goatseye said:
Barozi said:

Well that was after the World Cup but you get the idea:

I think that was a charity event.

well his caption says "enjoying my vacation before it all starts again with @fcbayern!"

picture taken in Greece.

Around the Network
Barozi said:

well his caption says "enjoying my vacation before it all starts again with @fcbayern!"

picture taken in Greece.

My comment was sarcastic. I wish I was in a charity event like that.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/28542813

La Liga as the biggest league in the world? thoughts? La Liga could be big and attract the best players but the question is why doesn't it now? Do 'those' 2 teams mean only the truely big players want to go there and only to them while the attraction of big money in the Prem outweighs the other team?

Hmm, pie.

The Fury said:

La Liga as the biggest league in the world? thoughts? La Liga could be big and attract the best players but the question is why doesn't it now? Do 'those' 2 teams mean only the truely big players want to go there and only to them while the attraction of big money in the Prem outweighs the other team?

Well, you answered it. If Atletico M and Valencia get their ish together La Liga might attract even more players.

All right then!

Welcome to MLS, or Major League Soccer, the top flight of football in the United States and Canada!
http://www.mlssoccer.com/
The league was founded in 1996 in the wake of the 1994 World Cup and despite early challenges in recent years it has come into its own with clubs added almost every year and growing attendance (average is ~19K right now) and sponsorship deals.

Right now there are 19 clubs in MLS, with 2 joining next year in New York City and Orlando. The season runs from March to November so we are at the half way mark roughly of the 34 match campaign.

There are four pieces of domestic silver ware clubs compete for, however a given club can only win three, I will explain.

1. US Open Cup / Canadian Championship - Due to the league's dual nation set up this trophy goes along national lines. To put it simply this is like the FA Cup where all tiers compete in an open competition. So, in the US will see USASA, PDL, USL, and NASL sides competing against MLS ones.
Here is the 2014 US Open bracket http://thecup.us/2014-us-open-cup-bracket/
Can see 4 clubs remain and the final will be September 30th or October 1st.
North of the border Canada has its own version, with five clubs competing http://www.canadasoccer.com/amway-canadian-championship-s15045

2. Supporter's Shield - Awarded to the MLS side that finishes top of the table, should be easy to understand for most Europeans as how most leagues there determine their champion.

3. MLS Cup - The top five clubs from each conference in MLS compete in playoffs after the season concluding with MLS Cup final.

Will several clubs have managed doubles, no club has pulled off the treble yet.

Wait, so there are conferences and a single table??

Yes! As sort of a compromise between American and International norms we have it both ways. A single table to determine a champion, and conferences and playoffs to determine another.

Here are the current single table standings for the Supporter's Shield

Here are the playoff standings

Means even if you are out of the shield race can still have a shot at the cup at the end of the year.

Clubs!

1. DC United - Augen's club, so no bias here...DC United are notable for winning titles, including 4 MLS Cups, 4 Supporter's Shields and 3 US Open Cups. The black and red are a storied club who sadly play in a dump of a stadium.

2. Los Angeles - A close second in titles (4 MLS, 4 SS, 2 USOC) Los Angeles is notable for its glitz and glamour signing big names like Beckham, Donovan and Keane on way to titles.

3. Seattle - In some measurements the biggest club with largest crowds (~40K) in the league and spending big bucks on Dempsey and Martins Seattle seem set to add to their 3 USOC titles and finally get a shield or cup this year.

4. Kansas City - After years of being awful in a tiny stadium, new ownership breathed new life into this club that see them as defending MLS Cup Champions and a beautiful new stadium with sell out every home match. A club with no ego that has surprised many how well been in recent years.

5. Columbus - Maybe the ultimate working club. Columbus have managed on lesser budgets to pull together some great eras with 07-10 seeing them win the Cup and a couple shields. New ownership promises to see influx of cash in coming years.

6. Salt Lake - Possibly the best run club that has developed into a solid competitor every season for a while. Unfortunately habit of choking at cup finals or shield races has kept the trophy cabinet with only one title.

7. Portland - Arguably the most passionate fans who loathe their rivals Seattle. Portland packs in their stadium with raucous environment. Always seem on the edge of success, but have yet to push through and win a title.

8. Toronto - Incompetence in management and ownership plagued Toronto for years and saw sell outs dwindle to angry crowds. Then new managements swept in and splashed cash on Bradley and Defoe as Toronto look like they will finally be good this year.

9. Chicago - Once a proud club that competed every year winning several titles, Chicago finds itself mid to bottom of the table with fans openly protesting owner deemed cheap in failing to secure major signings.

10. Montreal - A younger club with a charismatic and possibly bit crazy owner. Montreal are victim to constant tinkering and turn over that finds them near the bottom these days as aging stars cannot carry the club.

11. San Jose - No one likes us, we do not care! San Jose revels in its underdog label and takes great pleasure in knocking off its wealthier rival Los Angeles. While smaller in scale, no one doubts the Ultras passion in the bay area.

12. Vancouver - A mid table club that has yet to really make a splash, Vancouver are still young and developing much of their identity. Fortunately supporters and ownership have made peace it seems contributing to healthier crowds.

13. Colorado - A club with an absent owner (he also owns Arsenal in England) Colorado seem like a club destined for mediocrity with occasional surprising run at a title like in 2010. At least supporters finally made inroads here after years of antagonism.

14. Dallas - It honestly seems like this club is a bit snake bitten. Losses in critical matches or crucial injuries have ended more than one season. If the stars align Dallas will finally be able to add to their 1997 USOC title.

15. Philadelphia - Rowdy supporters gave birth to the club, but turn over in managers has seen them spinning their wheels often in mid table finishes. Need a commitment to a direction to settle on where this club is going.

16. Houston - Gifted a great club that won 2 MLS Cups (06, 07) Houston has managed to settle in as a respectable club you can never count out. Not flashy, but always seems to find a way despite losing players over seas to be in the mix.

17. New England - A club that managed to succeed despite cheap owner years ago has fallen into poor stretch in recent years as more ambitious and well run clubs have passed them by.

18. New York - My hated rival, they're awful. All right, to be fair New York was noted for spending big bucks on players with Henry, Marquez and Cahill being recent notable ones. Yet, it was last year they finally managed to secure first piece of silver ware. Major question is with New York City coming in how it will affect them.

19. Chivas - N/A - A dead club that is owned by the league and will be sold, renamed and possibly moved out of Los Angeles next year. The league's big sore spot and glad to see them gone.

Whew, so I will open the floor to question anyone might have about the league, clubs, cups, etc.

Around the Network

Augen said:
All right then!

Whew, so I will open the floor to question anyone might have about the league, clubs, cups, etc.

Cool, I'll go through some of this later when I have more time however, where does the new New York City team fit in?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/New_York_City_FC

Hmm, pie.

Goatseye said:
The Fury said:

Well, you answered it. If Atletico M and Valencia get their ish together La Liga might attract even more players.

Is that the case though? Atletico has shown this season that Barcelona are not all that other than in name. Atletico won the league, Real won the CL. Yet 2 big players have left AM for a team with neither achievement to their name (didn't win their domestic or CL) while they have attracted one new one is Griezman (a great signing) but it seems more players are happy to play where they get paid the big bucks and use clubs like Atletico as a stepping stone to Man City, PSG or Chelsea.

Hmm, pie.

just saw this.

Season ticket pricing in the Bundesliga.
The light blue bar is for the cheapest ticket (standing area).
The dark blue for the most expensive one (seat) outside of the VIP area.

The Fury said:

Augen said:
All right then!

Cool, I'll go through some of this later when I have more time however, where does the new New York City team fit in?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/New_York_City_FC

In American sports leagues expand via expansion.  New York City and Orlando will enter the league starting in 2015.  New York City are unique in that they are owned by the New York Yankees (a baseball team) and Manchester City of England.  Meaning they have tons of money and have signed Villa and Lampard already before even playing a match.  Not sure how well they will be run as the current New York side has shown spending money does not automatically equal winning in MLS.

The Fury said:

Is that the case though? Atletico has shown this season that Barcelona are not all that other than in name. Atletico won the league, Real won the CL. Yet 2 big players have left AM for a team with neither achievement to their name (didn't win their domestic or CL) while they have attracted one new one is Griezman (a great signing) but it seems more players are happy to play where they get paid the big bucks and use clubs like Atletico as a stepping stone to Man City, PSG or Chelsea.

They develop players. It's like my team, FC Porto.

We lose players constantly but We're always replacing them with eaqual or better ones.