By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sports Discussion - The Football Thread - 17/18 Season

NiKKoM said:

The Saints.. thats Southampton right? You recently got Koeman as coach.. what are the expectations of the fans? You guys took our most pretiest player from our league..

Yeah, Southampton FC. At first our opinion at the end of the season and during the WC was of desperation. We sold (for above the price mind you) our Captain, (Adam Lallana), one of our biggest prospects (Luke Shaw) and our hero (Rickie Lambert) but each sale has been met with differing reactions. Lallana has been seen that he abandoned us the first sign of potential bigger club sniffing around, Luke Shaw left with well wishes for a bright future at one of the biggest clubs in the world and Lambert left a hero who took us from League 1 to Premiership (he also left for his boyhood club so no one was going to stop him).

We also lost our well respected manager and other players were complaining and wanted to leave (Lovren, Osvaldo and questionably Schneiderlin).

But then we got Koeman, easily the highest profile manager we've ever had, signed Tadic and with the recent talk of our youth setup, kids like Matt Target, Harrison Reed and Sam McQueen coming through and Ward-Prowse and Chambers already in the first team we have great prospects for the future.

And yeah, sorry about that, all I could think of when I first saw the guy as a straight male is 'Man, he's good looking', then I looked at his scoring record.

Hmm, pie.

Around the Network

Jérémy Mathieu is the most expensive defender over the age of 30 of all-time after costing Barcelona £15.8m (€20m).

It baffles my mind how terrible Barcelona are when it comes to buying defenders.

Talal said:
Jérémy Mathieu is the most expensive defender over the age of 30 of all-time after costing Barcelona £15.8m (€20m).

It baffles my mind how terrible Barcelona are when it comes to buying defenders.

When they've got him at the front they forget about the other positions. :P

Hmm, pie.

The Fury said:
NiKKoM said:

And yeah, sorry about that, all I could think of when I first saw the guy as a straight male is 'Man, he's good looking', then I looked at his scoring record.

Pelle changed the city of Rotterdam.. Ugly guys suddenly changed their hairstyle to match Pelle.. More women were interested in feyenoord

Men wanted to be like Pelle and Women wanted to be with him.. Kirby007 is from Rotterdam i think.. I bet he also has a Pelle haircut..

Face the future.. Gamecenter ID: nikkom_nl (oh no he didn't!!) 

My team is FC Porto and they usually are the transfer market champs in Europe.

This year we brought: Adrian from A. Madrid, Tello from Barca (loan w/ an option to buy), same with Oliver Torres from A. Madrid and Casemiro from R. Madrid;
Also, Yacin Brahimi from Granada, Bruno Indi from Feyenoord, etc...

We're about to sell Mangala to M. City fro 40 mil euros.
And get 1.5 million from J. Rodriguez transfer to Real M.

Around the Network
Goatseye said:

I'm always impressed how a smaller league like the Portugese one is able to find those talents abroad and sell them for 30 million plus to top countries.. Countries like the netherlands, belgium, greece should also be able to do that but they never do.. Is it true that Porto has over 250 scouts?

NiKKoM said:
Goatseye said:

I'm always impressed how a smaller league like the Portugese one is able to find those talents abroad and sell them for 30 million plus to top countries.. Countries like the netherlands, belgium, greece should also be able to do that but they never do.. Is it true that Porto has over 250 scouts?

I don't know the numbers but they have eyes from Japan to Colombia.

If Porto had money like top PL teams we could've had a team like this:

Danilo -- Pepe(sold to R.Madrid)-- Mangala(sold to MCity)-- Alex Sandro

----------------Fernando(sold to MCity)--Moutinho(sold to Monaco)---

---------------------------------James Rodriguez(sold to Monaco)-------------

Hulk(sold to Zenit)---------Falcao(sold to A.Madrid, now in Monaco)---Tello(2 year loan from Barca)

Talal said:

They're bad at buying players and excel at signing awful centre backs (Chigrinskiy, Martín Cáceres, Christanval), we should not forget Ibrahimovic, Alex Song, Hleb, Afellay or Neymar's deal fiasco.

Time will tell if he has what it takes to be in a top 10 Barcelona's disastrous signings list in a few years, among legends like Prosinecki or Amunike.

Goatseye said:

I don't know the numbers but they have eyes from Japan to Colombia.

If Porto had money like top PL teams we could've had a team like this:

Danilo -- Pepe(sold to R.Madrid)-- Mangala(sold to MCity)-- Alex Sandro

----------------Fernando(sold to MCity)--Moutinho(sold to Monaco)---

---------------------------------James Rodriguez(sold to Monaco)-------------

Hulk(sold to Zenit)---------Falcao(sold to A.Madrid, now in Monaco)---Tello(2 year loan from Barca)

Yeah thats impressive.. its the same in the Dutch league.. my club Ajax could have a team like this

Van der Wiel (psg) -- Alderwereld (atletico) -- Vertonghen (tottenham) -- Maxwell (psg)
---------------------------------- de Jong (AC milan) -----------------------------------------------
------------------ Van der Vaart (HSV) -------------------- Sneijder (Galatasary) --------------------
--------- Huntelaar (Schalke) ---------- Zlatan (psg)------------------------ Luis Suarez (Barcelona)

but we smaller leagues will always develop players for the big leagues

Player2 said:
Talal said:

They're bad at buying players and excel at signing awful centre backs (Chigrinskiy, Martín Cáceres, Christanval), we should not forget Ibrahimovic, Alex Song, Hleb, Afellay or Neymar's deal fiasco.

Time will tell if he has what it takes to be in a top 10 Barcelona's disastrous signings list in a few years, among legends like Prosinecki or Amunike.

Well it's difficult to get a CB for Barcelona.. the defence play like on the middle line.. not many teams play like that and the distant they have to cover is pretty scary for any new defender..