By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sports Discussion - The Football Thread - 17/18 Season

bananaking21 said:
Player2 said:

Real Madrid is a MAJOR flop, we need to talk about it?

i just dont understand their form this season. i was never convinced zidane was a solid coach, his team was absolutely crazy good. but how can they be doing so bad this season is beyond me. even if i went and coached the real madrid team it shouldnt be performing this badly

Well, since they got nobody to replace Morata and Mariano, Benzema has been a joke for two years and Bale is injured half the time, when CR7 doesn't score or play... who scores? That's what happened yesterday.

There must be more than the scoring and coaching problems, but it's a start.

Around the Network

Saint signed Carrilo from Monaco... I'm not sure on that one.

And there's rumours we are getting (or trying to) Quincy Promes from Moscow... we can dream.

Hmm, pie.

RolStoppable said:
Hoffenheim led 2-0 in Munich and ended up losing 5-2. At this rate Bayern will be crowned champion about eight matchdays before the season ends.

All three teams in the relegation spots got a draw this weekend, so that's at least something interesting to watch. There are another three teams that can get easily pulled into the misery. The teams ranked 11th and 12th look stable enough to stay out of that zone, but at the same time not good enough to compete for international spots. Rank 2-10 is a wide open race.

Fingers crossed that Hamburg finally bites the dust this season.

Bundesliga's title race is just a complete joke. Bayern Munich winning every year wouldn't be so bad if it was actually a fight.

RolStoppable said:
HomokHarcos said:

Bundesliga's title race is just a complete joke. Bayern Munich winning every year wouldn't be so bad if it was actually a fight.

Nobody can keep up with their budget and they systematically destroy competition by buying up the best players. Last year Hoffenheim played their best season, so in the summer transfer window Bayern bought two of their players, then another one in winter. Hoffenheim's coach is a hot candidate as the next Bayern coach.

Sandro Wagner, the former Hoffenheim striker who scored the 5-2 against his old club, is so cool because he is an honest guy. Said in the interview after the game that it isn't so bad scoring the first goal for Bayern after he's played only 30 minutes across three games for Bayern so far, because he is getting paid well and that's the reason why he went to Bayern. That's exactly how Bayern operates.

The Bundesliga could use an Abramovich.

What's the point in the ref calling for VAR that when VAR says it's a penalty he then takes an extra 90 seconds to walk over and look at the footage himself.. and then still gives the penalty that VAR suggested. 

They're ironing out the details but that shouldn't be allowed, if the ref calls for VAR they have to take the VAR decision.

There's only 2 races: White and 'Political Agenda'
2 Genders: Male and 'Political Agenda'
2 Hairstyles for female characters: Long and 'Political Agenda'
2 Sexualities: Straight and 'Political Agenda'

Around the Network

I think you're basing too many conclusions on that Liver vs Man C match. All goals conceived in that game were made possible by defenders' mistakes from both sides, which is the usual for Liverpool but not for Man City.

In other words, the only thing you can conclude from that game is that Man City was anomalously terrible while Liverpool stayed true to their usual form; amazing offense & terrible defense.

Another trophy-less season for Liverpool under Klopp..

There's only 2 races: White and 'Political Agenda'
2 Genders: Male and 'Political Agenda'
2 Hairstyles for female characters: Long and 'Political Agenda'
2 Sexualities: Straight and 'Political Agenda'

Ka-pi96 said:
LurkerJ said:
I think you're basing too many conclusions on that Liver vs Man C match. All goals conceived in that game were made possible by defenders' mistakes from both sides, which is the usual for Liverpool but not for Man City.

In other words, the only thing you can conclude from that game is that Man City was anomalously terrible while Liverpool stayed true to their usual form; amazing offense & terrible defense.

I'd disagree with that. Our defenders do make a lot of mistakes. Stones and Otamendi have definitely been a lot better this year than they have in the past, but they are still liable to make mistakes. And Mangala.... playing him is like giving the opposition a 1 or 2 goal handicap to start with

If we're talking about the Premier league, Man City has conceded 18 goals so far, only 2 more goals than Chelsea and Man U, which is impressive for Pep's team, because unlike Conte and Mourinho, he doesn't park the bus On the other hand, Liverpool has conceded 29 goal, by far the most goals conceded by any of the top 4

Note that 4 out of those 18 were conceded by Man City in that single match against Liverpool. Also, keep in mind that when I am talking about defense, I am not exclusively referring to the quality of defenders, but how well the team can defend as a whole. Klopp's team obviously has a problem. 

VAR decisions definitely need to be taken faster. The referees on the pitch need to put more trust in the video-referees for starters.

Sane out for a month?