By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sports Discussion - The Football Thread - 17/18 Season

Ka-pi96 said:
poklane said:
Looks like only 2 Dutch clubs will compete in European football this year, us in the Champions League and Vitesse in the Europa League. PSV already knocked out, Utrecht need a goal with 15 minutes to go and Ajax need 2 against Rosenborg (lost 0-1 at home and currently 1-0 down).

So.... that totally just happened

Aaaand Rosenborg equalizes the second I open this thread....

Around the Network

Again against Real Madrid. Yawn.

3 months ago Ajax played the Europa League final, today they've failed to qualify for the Europa League groupstages. Disgraceful. And Dutch football is increasingly looking more like a joke every single year.

As a Liverpool fan, I'm very happy with the draw, seeing as we could be in the position Spurs are in. There's a great chance of reaching the knock out stages.

Ka-pi96 said:
poklane said:

3 months ago Ajax played the Europa League final, today they've failed to qualify for the Europa League groupstages. Disgraceful. And Dutch football is increasingly looking more like a joke every single year.

Good. Maybe that will push them towards a Dutch/Belgian joint league. I'd love to see that!

There would be a lot of questions about that though

1. How does promotion between the professional and amateur divisions work? Do they also get unified?
  2. Will both countries have a guaranteed amount of teams in the top league? A joint league is nice, but nobody would like a league which for 70% is made up of Dutch teams, or 70% Belgian teams
  3. Will Dutch and Belgian teams have to share their tickets for the Champions League and Europa League, or will they still each get a total of 5 spots? Because if a joint league only gets 2 Champions League spots (1 group stage, 1 qualifiers) and 3 Europa League spots (1 group stage, 2 qualifiers) chances of qualifying for the Champions League suddenly goes down A LOT for all clubs.

Also, I'm not sure how laws such as taxes work in both countries. Imagine if a player at a Dutch club pays 30% taxs on a €1mil salary while a player at a Belgium club pays 40% for a €1mil salary, that's unfair competition. The player at the Dutch club would make $700k while the player at the Belgian club makes $600k, yet they both cost the same for the clubs.

Also, I doubt mid-table clubs and all clubs beneath that will agree with it. Assuming a BeNeLegue would be 18 teams with 9 from each country, that would mean finishing 10th would see you getting relegated to the 2nd tier. For teams who've been playing at the highest level for years if not decades and have adjusted their finances to that to suddenly get relegated for finishing 10th would probably be devastating financially.

Around the Network

I'm a Roma fan and I love that draw.

I can't wait to see who Huddersfield Town draw in the Champions League next season. Genuinely excited.

I wan to update the OP to be at least relevant to the current events in football, instead of the 2014 World Cup.

Any ideas would be appreciated.

Ka-pi96 said:
Carl2291 said:
I wan to update the OP to be at least relevant to the current events in football, instead of the 2014 World Cup.

Any ideas would be appreciated.

dood... when I saw the title had changed I thought Nikkom had finally returned or something

I was very tempted to just create a new thread, honestly.

Carl2291 said:
Ka-pi96 said:

dood... when I saw the title had changed I thought Nikkom had finally returned or something

I was very tempted to just create a new thread, honestly.

I would support this. 

Very happy to finally see a title cahnge. 

There's only 2 races: White and 'Political Agenda'
2 Genders: Male and 'Political Agenda'
2 Hairstyles for female characters: Long and 'Political Agenda'
2 Sexualities: Straight and 'Political Agenda'