By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sports Discussion - The Football Thread - 17/18 Season

Barozi said:
Soooo no one else was watching Confed Cup?
Don't get me wrong, I wasn't watching it either.

Does someone know if Chile or Portugal take this thing somewhat serious? Germany is playing with a reserve team, with the exception of a few defensive players.

I'm watching, Chile are taking it seriously and we really want to win it. Seems like Alexis is injured so Vidal will have to carry us.

I guess Portugal will go serious too 

Around the Network
Ka-pi96 said:
poklane said:

Nope, if there's 1 football competition on this Earth I don't give a fuck about it's the Confederation's cup.

IMO they should just do away with it and organize a proper World Cup for clubs instead every 4 years. Winners of the 2014, 2015, 2016 and 2017 Champions League (if the 2013 and 2014 winner are the same team then 2014's #2 gets the ticket and so on), do the same for CAF (Africa), CONCACAF (North America), CONMEBOL (South America), 3 spots for Asia and 1 for Oceania and you've got 20 clubs to participate. Put them in 4 groups of 5, top 2 of each group continue to a 8 team knockout stage and you might have a proper international competition for clubs every 4 years.

While that does sound intriguing, what's to stop it from just turning in to another one of those international friendly cups that nobody takes seriously?

That's indeed the hard part and something you can't know IMO until you try it. Hopefully the fact that it's once every 4 years instead of the shit World Cup for clubs we have every year now plus better teams participating would make the clubs actually care. I'm sure clubs like Real Madrid will care more when clubs like Barcelona, Juventus and Bayern Munchen are also participating instead of the nearest competitor being from Japan or Columbia.

Chile won today 2-0 against Camerun, celebration was Mario Kart Switch inspired 

It will take a while to get used to video refs. It kind a breaks the flow of the game but at the same time it's great and makes the game more fair.

Can somebody of you football buffs explain to me how that foul that led to the penalty for Germany did not get a card?

If you demand respect or gratitude for your volunteer work, you're doing volunteering wrong.

Around the Network
vivster said:
Can somebody of you football buffs explain to me how that foul that led to the penalty for Germany did not get a card?

One moment....*goes to look at it*

Not a bad tackle, not last man, not obvious goal scoring opportunity. Just a foul in the box. 

That said, in my view, the German player jumping into the leg of the tackler is a bit questionable, as bad as when players leave their trailing leg a little higher than normal humans would so they get tripped up.

Hmm, pie.

Looks like we soon might sell our expensive player ever. Current record is Kuyt for €18million to Liverpool, Karsdorp might move to AS Roma for €20million.

Ka-pi96 said:
And now Mourinho too has been accused of tax fraud by Spain. Is the whole of La Liga just forgetting to pay tax or something?

It's what happens when a country doesn't have tax havens within its borders, unlike UK, and the authorities do their job.

It seems that Mourinho created his structure in 2004 (the year he signed for Chelsea) in the British Virgin Islands.

just look how much people care about confed cup

German TV ratings:

19.06.2017 Australia - Germany (Confed Cup) - 6.07m
10.06.2017 Germany - San Marino (WC qualifier) - 7.22m
06.06.2017 Denmark - Germany (friendly) - 7.99m
16.08.2017 Germany - Canada (Women Olympic Games final) - 7.72m
22.03.2017 Germany - England (friendly) - 9.71m
11.10.2016 Germany - Northern Ireland (WC qualifier) - 11.02m
12.06.2016 Germany - Ukraine (Euro 2016) - 26.57m
13.06.2010 Germany - Australia (WC 2010)- 26.36m

Bonus:

17.06.2017 Russia -New Zealand (Confed Cup) - 2.09m
16.06.2014 Nigeria - Iran (WC 2014) - 9.48m (lol)

Ka-pi96 said:
Player2 said:

It's what happens when a country doesn't have tax havens within its borders, unlike UK, and the authorities do their job.

It seems that Mourinho created his structure in 2004 (the year he signed for Chelsea) in the British Virgin Islands.

nah, if they were doing their job there wouldn't be so many people getting away with not paying tax in the first place. This seems more like a despearate "oh shit, we need money!" type of deal

I think it also has to do with a change in interpretation from the internal revenue service on how some things tribute, I heard that was the case with Alexis Sánchez at least. Some things they did to reduce their taxes were considered valid at some point or there were loopholes, but now that interpretation changed there are a lot of accusations.

I can't say this is the answer since they probably do many different things to elude taxes (There must be a lot of true frauds lol), but I also guess these practices must be kinda similar in the business. Maybe someone from spain could clarify