By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sports Discussion - The Football Thread - 17/18 Season

Volterra_90 said:
Wow, awesome PSG game. Are they always THAT good?

Nope, aren't even in 1st in the Ligue 1 currently.

Around the Network
poklane said:
Volterra_90 said:
Wow, awesome PSG game. Are they always THAT good?

Nope, aren't even in 1st in the Ligue 1 currently.

Emery teams usually start slow, so I'm not surprised about that. He's a really great and really unnapreciated coach imo. 

Carl2291 said:
RolStoppable said:

Isn't it Real Madrid that we hate?

Prediction: Barca will advance to the quarter finals.

Spanish football in general, but Madrid is the lesser of two evils.

But Barcelona plays like a typical EPL team nowadays.

Barcelona scored 4 in the quarters and semis last year in the home legs but i'd say against easier opponents (argueably)... so if PSG score it's done.

Hmm, pie.

Wow, I wouldn't rule out Barca but these things make the UCL a lot more fun

Around the Network

Football media needs to be less biased toward barca, and gives more credit to PSG. Most of the articles i read were only abt barca not doing this, barca not doing that. Only a few actually explained how PSG smoothly dismantled barca in that match

m_csquare said:
Football media needs to be less biased toward barca, and gives more credit to PSG. Most of the articles i read were only abt barca not doing this, barca not doing that. Only a few actually explained how PSG smoothly dismantled barca in that match

It happens a lot in big losses (4 or more basically). Even in other competitions, pundits will point out how teams made mistakes. They'll say that the losing team did this wrong and were poor in defence and analyse that to death but will also say 'the winning team were very good, just losing team were worse.' kind of things.

Hmm, pie.

m_csquare said:

This debacle is something anybody who has seen Barcelona play lately could see it coming. In its last Liga matches Barcelona has struggled against teams like Betis or Real Sociedad, teams that should be several steps below them, and not because they couldn't score, they struggled because they weren't controlling the match anymore and were losing the ball in critical positions. The difference is that unlike Betis or Real Sociedad, PSG has world class players.

The truth is that Barcelona's passing game isn't what it was years ago and the goals from the MSN can't hide it anymore. Barcelona has spent a lot of money in mediocre new players that don't even fit the playstyle like André Gomes or Alcácer (Valencia players, really?), in Arda Turán who doesn't have a place in the starting 11 because of MSN, meanwhile their right back (Sergi Roberto) is a temporal patch that has become a permanent one. On top of that Piqué, Busquets and Iniesta have been struggling with physical issues lately (if I remember correctly, this was Iniesta's first match in the starting 11 since his injury).

The worst for Barcelona is that it could take a lot of time to right the ship. They're even struggling to renew Messi because they don't have enough money. And this is something that can be partially blamed on their supporters. In the elections after president Rosell had to quit because of suspicions of corruption in Neymar's transfer, they decided to stick with Rosell's right hand man because they won everything. Now we see the consequences.

In other news, after a stellar first half of the season, since Christmas Real Madrid has been playing like shit too, but this means nothing when Real Madrid is involved.

Was Messi on the pitch yesterday?

---Member of the official Squeezol Fanclub---

m_csquare said:

Always happens when Messi looses