By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sports Discussion - The Football Thread - 17/18 Season

Alexis and Ozil will probably leave and be replaced with lesser quality players. I can't say what is the true Arsenal objective but they seem to be happy with building a good squad with 2 world class players and finishing top 4 with an ocassional lesser cup

Bad thing is, with that kind of planning it's hard to attract top players. If they want to win something I think they should bring a top manager and spend big time, the team will maybe suffer at first but something has to change. To me it seems like they just don't have trophy winning mentality and players that do, get sick of it and leave

Around the Network

Mkhitaryan is a joy to watch.

---Member of the official Squeezol Fanclub---

pastro243 said:

Bad thing is, with that kind of planning it's hard to attract top players. If they want to win something I think they should bring a top manager and spend big time, the team will maybe suffer at first but something has to change. To me it seems like they just don't have trophy winning mentality and players that do, get sick of it and leave

Isn't it down to the players though? The club, manager and players surely all want to win something, that isn't the reason the choke from time to time. They choke the same reason Man U and Man City did last year, the same reason Tottenham came 3rd in a 2 horse race, last year. Sometimes teams just fail.

Just with Arsenal people make a big thing about it, fans seem very entitled mind you thinking they need to win things to prove they are a big club. Times change and foreign money has changed the Premier League, once it was just Arsenal and Man U who won the league now it's any of 6 who could win it, Arsenal included. their consistant form with the same manager while other clubs change all the time is something to admire, even if it's not "Winnng all the trophies." like fans want.

Hmm, pie.

The Fury said:
pastro243 said:

Isn't it down to the players though? The club, manager and players surely all want to win something, that isn't the reason the choke from time to time. They choke the same reason Man U and Man City did last year, the same reason Tottenham came 3rd in a 2 horse race, last year. Sometimes teams just fail.

Just with Arsenal people make a big thing about it, fans seem very entitled mind you thinking they need to win things to prove they are a big club. Times change and foreign money has changed the Premier League, once it was just Arsenal and Man U who won the league now it's any of 6 who could win it, Arsenal included. their consistant form with the same manager while other clubs change all the time is something to admire, even if it's not "Winnng all the trophies." like fans want.

I don't really believe the manager or club directors are so desperate to win trophies honestly.  I don't see investment that would make me think otherwise at least and I also don't consider them as serious title contenders, more like irrelevant second like the last few seasons.

I think Arsenal have the money to spend but they just won't, which is a valid and responsible choice, but I don't buy that Wenger thinks about a project to win trophies more than being profitable while achieving some decent milestones. And talk about consistency when they couldn't even win the league last season against a small team like Leicester, which wouldn't have won in any other of the big 4 leagues. That would surely make their few big signings move away after their contracts expire and while they are still competitive. 

pastro243 said:

I don't really believe the manager or club directors are so desperate to win trophies honestly.  I don't see investment that would make me think otherwise at least and I also don't consider them as serious title contenders, more like irrelevant second like the last few seasons.

I think Arsenal have the money to spend but they just won't, which is a valid and responsible choice, but I don't buy that Wenger thinks about a project to win trophies more than being profitable while achieving some decent milestones. And talk about consistency when they couldn't even win the league last season against a small team like Leicester, which wouldn't have won in any other of the big 4 leagues. That would surely make their few big signings move away after their contracts expire and while they are still competitive. 

With the TV money involved in the Prem, who can blame them. Manager's get a good wage to stay in the prem, owners/directors are happy with being in the prem because they'll get £60-80mil gaurenteed. Even the relegated clubs do.

Arsenal board are obviously happy with Wenger's works else they would have fired him during the 8 year dry spell yet that 8 year dry spell included top 4 every year with last 16 of the Champions League every year. That's quids in as far as the board are concerned. Good work Wenger. Apparently.

And really, no one won the league against the Small club last year, Arsenal are so consistant they finshed 2nd and above Tottenham, while Chelsea were 10th and Liverpool didn't make European places... of course they had manager changes because of it all.

It is something to wonder over all, Fergie left Man U and the club failed for 2-3 seasons to get back to form, still trying really. Would the same happen to Arsenal? Just because people think they need a change doesn't mean it'll work out and Arsenal fans might have to put up with 2 or 3 seasons not in Europe at all before getting back into form.

Hmm, pie.

Around the Network
KiigelHeart said:
Let's put it this way, if Liverpool was to change the coach now I'd say I would be the opposite of ambition. I think they need a long term plan and Klopp should be given more time. Maybe not 13 years lol but Arsene most definitely is a legend. I still think he has the ambition to win again and you pretty much described that ambition in your post. It just hasn't been working and it won't. I still remember those glory days and I love his football philosophy so part of me wants him to stay and part of me wants him gone. I do expect him to leave after this season though.

So what was my point again? Oh, yeah, signing managers and hot players left and right all the time with no long term vision isn't really any more ambitious imo.

why on earth is he a legend? because he has been managing a club that flat out refuses to sack him as long as he is making the club profitable, regadless of any failings he has had as a manager? within the 21 years he has been coaching arsenal he has one it just 3 times. thats an average of once every 7 years, thats just horrible. and arsenals has no actual presence in europe,he has zero champions leagues. id hardly consider jose mourinho a premier league legend and he has won 3 titles in a lot less time than wenger. 

mourinho nailed it when he said wenger is a specalist at failure, because frankly that is what he is. 

Ka-pi96 said:

That may well happen, but isn't that just another reason to change soon? Wenger is already 67, whether he gets sacked or retires the end of his Arsenal reign can't be all that far away. So if they're going to need some time to rebuild and get a new manager settled in before they start getting in to Europe again wouldn't it be better to get that out of the way asap rather than having to worry about it later?

Fergie retired at 71, Wenger has 4 more years. :P

It just I wonder sometime if fans know this or if they think a new manager will equal instant success.

And he is a Legend, anyone who think otherwise in football. His name will go on for years even after he leaves Arsenal because other (Arsenal) managers will be compared to him.

Hmm, pie.

Ka-pi96 said:

Being a legend isn't always for good reasons though. Kevin Keegan is a legend when it comes to Premier League managers, but I can't remember what he actually won, if anything. Might just end up with managers at top clubs not winning anything for years getting compared to him

Hmm, I'd consider him more of a legend in football, both as a player and manager but then he did play for Saints.

Hmm, pie.

The Fury said:
pastro243 said:

With the TV money involved in the Prem, who can blame them. Manager's get a good wage to stay in the prem, owners/directors are happy with being in the prem because they'll get £60-80mil gaurenteed. Even the relegated clubs do.

Arsenal board are obviously happy with Wenger's works else they would have fired him during the 8 year dry spell yet that 8 year dry spell included top 4 every year with last 16 of the Champions League every year. That's quids in as far as the board are concerned. Good work Wenger. Apparently.

And really, no one won the league against the Small club last year, Arsenal are so consistant they finshed 2nd and above Tottenham, while Chelsea were 10th and Liverpool didn't make European places... of course they had manager changes because of it all.

It is something to wonder over all, Fergie left Man U and the club failed for 2-3 seasons to get back to form, still trying really. Would the same happen to Arsenal? Just because people think they need a change doesn't mean it'll work out and Arsenal fans might have to put up with 2 or 3 seasons not in Europe at all before getting back into form.

Difference is, those clubs are taking risks to aspire for a better position. It may go right (like Chelsea now) or wrong, but you can see intentions and I'm talking about that. I just don't see Arsenal offering top players a project that has the intention to challenge for top achievements. 

Ka-pi96 said:
Welp looks like China is set to surpass England in the world of football. English government wants to reform the FA with one of their issues being it's "lack of diversity". Meanwhile China, who are the supposedly communist country, not only have the money but clearly care much more about success than "not hurting people's feelings" and useless shit like that.

English football has a lack of diversity?

... since when does Football in general have lack of diversity? Unless they mean women involved in the highest tiers of the sport and there being 1 out footballer in the world. Those are things that need to change in the mentality of the other coaches, players and fans though before something can be done there. Dang fans ruining football.

Hmm, pie.