By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sports Discussion - The Football Thread - 17/18 Season

Around the Network

Another signing for saints, building nicely for the new season. Rumours of Man U and Everton after Fonte are a bit odd though. I mean, surely he's good and he won the Euros but he's good for us, Southampton. He's kind old so has at most 1 or 2 years left and at Everton? He can't achieve anything before he stops because they aren't pushing for things yet. At least with Man U it would be a step up. Up to him, he's a hero at saints and I'd love him to stay but if he thinks it's right, then I'm sure we won't stop him.

Hmm, pie.

BraLoD said:
Brazil vs South Africa to started right now for the olympics.

This is your year! You have to win the gold medal.

"I've Underestimated the Horse Power from Mario Kart 8, I'll Never Doubt the WiiU's Engine Again"

Liverpool to win the PL confirmed.

---Member of the official Squeezol Fanclub---

it's done http://www.manutd.com/en/News-And-Features/Football-News/2016/Aug/manchester-united-sign-paul-pogba.aspx

Around the Network

United have quite a powerful selection in their squad tbh I can see another trophy being won by them this season.

Man U will officially be the joke this season. £90m and wage for a player they let go for nothing.

Hmm, pie.

The Fury said:
Man U will officially be the joke this season. £90m and wage for a player they let go for nothing.

Yep, that's the new gold standard.

Dortmund let go their youth talent Marco Reus for nothing in 2005 and bought him back in 2012 for 17.1 million €.

Bayern sold Mats Hummels to Dortmund in 2009 for 4.2 million and bought him back this season for ~38 million.

I'm sure there are other examples from other leagues as well, but the Man U deal is a whole new level of "overlooked/ignored talent in your own team".

I don't think they'll care if it brings them success tbh.

okr said:

Yep, that's the new gold standard.

Dortmund let go their youth talent Marco Reus for nothing in 2005 and bought him back in 2012 for 17.1 million €.

Bayern sold Mats Hummels to Dortmund in 2009 for 4.2 million and bought him back this season for ~38 million.

I'm sure there are other examples from other leagues as well, but the Man U deal is a whole new level of "overlooked/ignored talent in your own team".

Makes you wonder, if they did recognise the potential in these players they'd loan them out and give them decent wages to stay while they didn't fit in the team. When they've grown at the loan clubs, pull them back and put them in the main line up. But like you say, 'overlooked/ignored talent'. Pogba's case was he wanted first team football and Man U weren't willing to give him that at the time, he needed to grow and has done since. Prem might have been hard work as a 19 year old in centre mid... that said, Saints have never really had many issues with our youths. 

Wyrdness said:
I don't think they'll care if it brings them success tbh.

True. But will he? or is he only as good as the team around him? Ronaldo being an example of a purchase giving success, Bale being an example of the team giving him sucess. :)

Hmm, pie.