By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - GDC: PhyreEngine, Sony's new free cross-platform engine...

wow, that's completly unexpected. i wonder how many games will take advantage of this engine.

Around the Network

Every game probably.
Since it's free.
Why wouldn't they want to use it?
To be shunned by the PS3 community?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iyLhpUPNPIs

360 IS OPERATIONAL AFTER 37 DAYS!

makingmusic476 said:

From Joystiq:

Working on both OpenGL and Direct3D, this engine will allow developers to more easily develop for the PS3 by using PC environments they're more familiar with.

So, this a double edge sword, yes Sony is making the things more easy for devs, but somehow this sounds more like: "Ok, maybe we made a mistake with the cell thing, but please don't loose the faith on us..."

A "simple recompile" is supposedly all that's needed to make the game run on the PS3.

Well "simple recompile" usually means one of two things, a) the recompiled routines will not be optimized as other game engines or code specially made for the PS3, b) somehow they found the holly grail of multiplat dev... (Unlikely), it mades any kind(PC/360/PS3) of compiled code witouth loosing performance...

Sony is indirectly contributing to the development of PC (and Xbox 360) games.

Yes, which is good for the console right know... kinda bad for their image as suporters of the Cell

With PhyreEngine, Sony is making a much more attractive plea: make games on PS3 first, guaranteeing high quality games that will not only match their 360 counterparts, but in many cases can exceed them. Sony's message is clear: start games on the PS3, and they will be better for both PS3 and 360 owners. It appears to us that PhyreEngine is a crucial part of that plan.

PR promises, but we will see, I hope this somehow translates in a new way to face the multicore-multithread problems of the PCs... 

By me:

Made with Blender + LuxRender
"Since you can´t understand ... there is no point to taking you seriously."
BottledSpringWater said:
Every game probably.
Since it's free.
Why wouldn't they want to use it?
To be shunned by the PS3 community?

Why would you be shunned for not using an engine? That's counterproductive to the point of offering an engine for free. It's an OFFER. 

A flashy-first game is awesome when it comes out. A great-first game is awesome forever.

Plus, just for the hell of it: Kelly Brook at the 2008 BAFTAs

starcraft said:
But if this is just being made widely available now isn't it two years or so before we see any major titles taking advantage of it?

And do we know anything about the quality of the engine? Or the type of graphics and games it is best for producing?

The engine was used to make Dirt, which ran great on all systems, but slightly better on PS3. 

My Top 5:

Shadow of the Colossus, Metal Gear Solid 3, Shenmue, Skies of Arcadia, Chrono Trigger

My 2 nex-gen systems: PS3 and Wii

Prediction Aug '08: We see the PSP2 released fall '09. Graphically, it's basically the same as the current system. UMD drive ditched and replaced by 4-8gb on board flash memory. Other upgrades: 2nd analog nub, touchscreen, blutooth, motion sensor. Design: Flip-style or slider. Size: Think Iphone. Cost: $199. Will be profitable on day 1.

Around the Network

Hopefully this engine will help prevent future PS3 game delays in relation to their PC/360 counterparts.

We had two bags of grass, seventy-five pellets of mescaline, five sheets of high-powered blotter acid, a salt shaker half full of cocaine, a whole galaxy of multi-colored uppers, downers, screamers, laughers…Also a quart of tequila, a quart of rum, a case of beer, a pint of raw ether and two dozen amyls.  The only thing that really worried me was the ether.  There is nothing in the world more helpless and irresponsible and depraved than a man in the depths of an ether binge. –Raoul Duke

It is hard to shed anything but crocodile tears over White House speechwriter Patrick Buchanan's tragic analysis of the Nixon debacle. "It's like Sisyphus," he said. "We rolled the rock all the way up the mountain...and it rolled right back down on us...."  Neither Sisyphus nor the commander of the Light Brigade nor Pat Buchanan had the time or any real inclination to question what they were doing...a martyr, to the bitter end, to a "flawed" cause and a narrow, atavistic concept of conservative politics that has done more damage to itself and the country in less than six years than its liberal enemies could have done in two or three decades. -Hunter S. Thompson

jman8 said:
starcraft said:
But if this is just being made widely available now isn't it two years or so before we see any major titles taking advantage of it?

And do we know anything about the quality of the engine? Or the type of graphics and games it is best for producing?

The engine was used to make Dirt, which ran great on all systems, but slightly better on PS3.

It also explains why SCE was helping to fund development of DiRT.

akuma587 said:
Hopefully this engine will help prevent future PS3 game delays in relation to their PC/360 counterparts.

The game would have to be built on the engine in the first place. 

A flashy-first game is awesome when it comes out. A great-first game is awesome forever.

Plus, just for the hell of it: Kelly Brook at the 2008 BAFTAs

These middleware engines are the wave of the future and the only way the gaming industry will surivive at it's current rate of 5 year life cycles and game budgets that seem to double every generation. I hope developers use this engine, but I feel it would have been a bigger hit if Sony showed off a game they were creating themselves for it that isn't a PSN title. I feel a lot of people really saw the potential of Unreal Engine 3 after they saw what Gears of War was becomming from previews and wanted in.

Tag: Became a freaking mod and a complete douche, coincidentally, at the same time.

onyx
doesn't sony have an unannounced project in the works atm? could be that, that game is going to feature this and it just isn't quite ready to announce yet.