By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - GDC: PhyreEngine, Sony's new free cross-platform engine...

From Joystiq:

GDC08: PhyreEngine, Sony's new (free!) cross-platform engine

Quietly unveiled at yesterday's PSN session was PhyreEngine, a new "free to use graphics engine" from Sony Computer Entertainment. According to the presentation, the package includes full documentation, "70+ samples" and "full source code and artwork" of sample game templates. Working on both OpenGL and Direct3D, this engine will allow developers to more easily develop for the PS3 by using PC environments they're more familiar with. A "simple recompile" is supposedly all that's needed to make the game run on the PS3. Sony is promising "ongoing development and support" for the PhyreEngine.

The ramifications of this subdued announcement are actually quite significant. Three titles have been revealed to have used the PhyreEngine for development: flOw, GripShift and DiRT. Of those three, only one is exclusive to PlayStation. It appears that the PhyreEngine is truly cross platform -- Sony is indirectly contributing to the development of PC (and Xbox 360) games.

But why make it potentially easier to make games on a competing console? Well, it's undeniable that developers are increasingly focused on multiplatform development. It's been rather commonplace for developers to neglect PS3 with inferior and oftentimes delayed versions of multiplatform games. With PhyreEngine, Sony is making a much more attractive plea: make games on PS3 first, guaranteeing high quality games that will not only match their 360 counterparts, but in many cases can exceed them. Sony's message is clear: start games on the PS3, and they will be better for both PS3 and 360 owners. It appears to us that PhyreEngine is a crucial part of that plan.

More details of PhyreEngine will undoubtedly be unveiled later today at a GDC dedicated to what Sony has dubbed "the new hotness." Stay tuned.

Around the Network

Thats a pretty smart move. from what I understand from the article, it should also make Xbox360 and PC games easier to port to the PS3.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------                         iclim4 - "The Friends Thread changed my life!" (Pervert Alert!)                                            Tags? 

The best part about it is that it's free.
I knew they had something in the works to help developers make games on the PS3 after a lot of those weiner-ish ports were released.
One interesting fact is that they are indirectly helping develop for other platforms as well.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iyLhpUPNPIs

360 IS OPERATIONAL AFTER 37 DAYS!

Yes, and it will also make it easier to have PS3 "console exclusives" where the game also goes to PC. If that happens, it will take about 8 microseconds for the definition of 'exclusive' amongst sony fans to switch back to including 'console exclusives.'

starcraft - Playing Games = FUN, Talking about Games = SERIOUS

But if this is just being made widely available now isn't it two years or so before we see any major titles taking advantage of it?

And do we know anything about the quality of the engine? Or the type of graphics and games it is best for producing?

starcraft - Playing Games = FUN, Talking about Games = SERIOUS

Around the Network

Very smart move by Sony. I applaud them.

VGCHARTZ PRESENTS:

BI-WEEKLY LEAGUE
All VGCharterz welcome!!!
PSN: Al_Kickurass, Official Warhawk League Thread!!!-> http://vgchartz.com/forum/thread.php?id=21937

It will be interesting to see how well it does. If it ports to 360 as well I could see it catching on, but only PC and PS3 will be a hard sell as PC gaming sales are down the last while... aka Crysis, UT III, etc.

pretty smart of them,
now they need salt it with some lite/2D version to counter XNA
I'm going to love SCE again

Was this the result of Katuragi and Namco's "Celcius" project, or are they still working on that.

A flashy-first game is awesome when it comes out. A great-first game is awesome forever.

Plus, just for the hell of it: Kelly Brook at the 2008 BAFTAs

well actually the engine will always run best on the PS3 but it makes porting to the C/360 a dream basically so the games should run about evenly.

PC gaming is better than console gaming. Always.     We are Anonymous, We are Legion    Kick-ass interview   Great Flash Series Here    Anime Ratings     Make and Play Please
Amazing discussion about being wrong
Official VGChartz Folding@Home Team #109453