By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Nintendo the top publisher among manufacturers

Lawlight said:
padib said:
Lawlight said:

Very inaccurate. The fact remains that, besides the numbers themselves not being correct, VGChartz doesn't have data for all games and it doesn't have digital data.

That applies to all manufacturers. Do you think that this affects one more than another in a way that would affect the final numbers enough to change the final winner?

Yes, it affects one more than the other because the adoption of digital is not equal on all consoles. Some consoles also have more digital titles than others.

Give it a rest.  Does Sony sell more digital copies than Nintendo?  Perhaps but Nintendo digital sales have increased greatly. 

Nintendo digital sales:

http://www.cubed3.com/news/18609/1/nintendo-highlights-increase-in-digital-wii-u-and-3ds-eshop-sales.html

"To date neither Sony nor Microsoft, Nintendo's main competitors in the console business, have ever provided information like this about their digital businesses."

http://www.gamasutra.com/view/news/197952/An_upclose_look_at_Nintendos_growing_digital_sales_business.php

You want data/proof and Nintendo has provided it with their digital sales numbers yet Sony hasn't.  Kind of hard to compare the two when one company doesn't release their data or groups it together with other consumer product sales.  Sony is still far behind even when you include digital sales.

Around the Network
BraLoD said:
If we consider only consoles (no handhelds), Sony is still behind but pretty close to Nintendo, so close that I can say that with this gen Sony will surpass Nintendo again.
It was ahead until the wii boom, but should surpass again this gen as it is 623,18 vs. 592,62 to Nintendo right now.
But this is only with N64 and laters, that were when Sony was already there to compete, where are the NES and SNES? this should make Nintendo stay way aheas Sony even just considering consoles.

Yep, with how the WiiU is selling i'd say it's pretty much a certainty Sony will pass them again in the home console space. They will never pass them in handhelds though, that's for sure :P

Zekkyou said:
BraLoD said:
If we consider only consoles (no handhelds), Sony is still behind but pretty close to Nintendo, so close that I can say that with this gen Sony will surpass Nintendo again.
It was ahead until the wii boom, but should surpass again this gen as it is 623,18 vs. 592,62 to Nintendo right now.
But this is only with N64 and laters, that were when Sony was already there to compete, where are the NES and SNES? this should make Nintendo stay way aheas Sony even just considering consoles.

Yep, with how the WiiU is selling i'd say it's pretty much a certainty Sony will pass them again in the home console space. They will never pass them in handhelds though, that's for sure :P

Even with the Wii U struggling Nintendo games almost always sell more than Sony games (compare Smash vs PSABR or GT vs MK).  So even with a smaller userbase Nintendo could still sell more home console games than Sony.

ktay95 said:
padib said:
chocoloco said:
Yep, this is the kind of data that we used on here to make assumptions that Nintendo gamers only buy NIntendo games.While Sony and Microsoft gamers buy from a large variety of third party offerings. Been awhile since I have seen this.

I wonder why anyone would doubt that. Nintendo buyers always bought more Nintendo games than anything else.

As an example, vgchartz has that the Wii sold 918m units total. Per OP, Nintendo's share of that is 396.44m. That's 43%!

Almost 1 in every 2 games sold on the Wii was a Nintendo  game.

Does anyone really doubt that Nintendo can support a console all by themselves?

Nintendo can support a console all by them selves and make money but it wont come close in HW sales to Sony or MS without a lot of luck like the Wii.
Remember regardless of how much more money the company makes HW sales are king to fanboys.

Well no one ever said fanboys were smart or understand that making the most money is what really matters.

sethnintendo said:
Zekkyou said:
BraLoD said:

Even with the Wii U struggling Nintendo games almost always sell more than Sony games (compare Smash vs PSABR or GT vs MK).  So even with a smaller userbase Nintendo could still sell more home console games than Sony.

The PS1 vs N64 and PS2 vs GC would suggest otherwise :P

It's certainly not impossible, but i'd say the chances of Nintendo maintain their current lead with the WiiU is fairly unlikely.

Using the sales of Wii installments makes for bad comparisons though. The Wii's huge success with the casual market paved the way to some pretty ridiculous software sales. With the WiiU Nintendo's series will likely return to the regions they were hitting prior to the Wii.

Around the Network
vivster said:
I'd be interested to see a comparison with the 3 big 3rd party publishers. If Nintendo is able to hold a candle or if it's completely dwarfed.

Actually, I'm pretty sure Nintendo is the biggest software publisher, period.  EA and Activision generally compete for #2.

Zekkyou said:

The PS1 vs N64 and PS2 vs GC would suggest otherwise :P

It's certainly not impossible, but i'd say the chances of Nintendo maintain their current lead with the WiiU is fairly unlikely.

Using the sales of Wii installments makes for bad comparisons though. The Wii's huge success with the casual market paved the way to some pretty ridiculous software sales. With the WiiU Nintendo's series will likely return to the regions they were hitting prior to the Wii.

True.  I suppose I was hoping for less of a hardware sales gap than those eras.  If the gap is too huge then Sony will sell more software.

No matter how you dice it, Nintendo > Sony.

It actually shows that no single publisher can carry a console themselves, not even if they're the biggest publisher in the biz.

It's like a basketball/hockey/soccer/baseball/etc. team that has the best player in the league ... but then has no one else all that great for him to play with.

They always predictably lose in the playoffs.

Sony may not have one single superstar talent as good as that, but they are simply a much better team from top to bottom, that's why the generally beat Nintendo in the console race most of the time.

Soundwave said:
It actually shows that no single publisher can carry a console themselves, not even if they're the biggest publisher in the biz.

It's like a basketball/hockey/soccer/baseball/etc. team that has the best player in the league ... but then has no one else all that great for him to play with.

They always predictably lose in the playoffs.

Sony may not have one single superstar talent as good as that, but they are simply a much better team from top to bottom, that's why the generally beat Nintendo in the console race most of the time.

That's debatable.  I don't agree with that.  Nintendo is fine making/funding games.  They never before had to make games for its platform by themself. They're doing a great job so far though.