By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Does Sony win every generation by default?

S.T.A.G.E. said:
SnK0610 said:

Nintendo was the Winner the previous console war.

Sony doesn't always win.

It changes every new generation of consoles.

He's right though, naturally speaking Sony is the most dominant company when it comes to offerings to  the existing market. Nintendo won last gen, but they were offering to a market that will not return until another fad starts....which is exactly why Nintendo isnt winning now.

Wat? Nintendo is Winning :X ............... the Handheld Wars :P

Around the Network
S.T.A.G.E. said:

Nintendo won last gen, but mostly because Microsoft stood in Sony's way. Sony has what Microsoft and Nintendo both lack which is why they will always perform well. Its why they appeal to a great audience at large. They increased the overall market the second they joined the gaming industry and continued to have it continue in its growth over the PS2 era.

The increase was due to their ability to reach into markets (countries) that Nintendo and Sega couldn't. Don't oversell it.

Monster Hunter: pissing me off since 2010.

tbone51 said:
S.T.A.G.E. said:
SnK0610 said:

Nintendo was the Winner the previous console war.

Sony doesn't always win.

It changes every new generation of consoles.

He's right though, naturally speaking Sony is the most dominant company when it comes to offerings to  the existing market. Nintendo won last gen, but they were offering to a market that will not return until another fad starts....which is exactly why Nintendo isnt winning now.

Yeah...but thats all Nintendo has ever won since Sony got into the gaming industry outside of the Wii. Most of the time most people arent even referring to handhelds when they are speaking about the generation in general.

Fusioncode said:

Unlike Microsoft they have strong presence in all three major regions. Unlike Nintendo they have solid 3rd party support. Both Nintendo and Microsoft have a handicap that Sony lacks. So as long as neither of them throws a curveball like the Wii, or Sony doesn't make major mistakes like with the PS3, does Sony just automatically win?

I mean the PS1 and PS2 did well for a reason.  I have always said that Sony doesn't necessarily because they are a bunch geniuses, they are simpy the only ones who don't make retarded decisions.  They made a couple last gen, and thus they came in a VERY close second place.

Zelhawks37 said:
bubblegamer said:
When it comes to consoles, so far the PS3 has been the only exception to this rule. And even that will change in a couple of years time.

Um, how will it change when it sells only 40k a week? Wii won last gen in profits and consoles sold.

Even if PS3>Wii, i dont think it wins solely on the fact of wats important to the company themselves... $$$$$$$$. PS3 can sell 125mil, it still loses only cuz of how much Sony lost while Nintendo profited a shit ton.

I dont have numbers, would be cool to compare

Around the Network
S.T.A.G.E. said:
tbone51 said:
S.T.A.G.E. said:I

Yeah...but thats all Nintendo has ever won since Sony got into the gaming industry outside of the Wii. Most of the time most people arent even referring to handhelds when they are speaking about the generation in general.

I kno! Dont kno why HH seem so much more irrelevant, oh well.

Sony def dominates in HW sales (excluding vita) and they also have best HW legs in the industry. Nintendo ironically is te opposite, best SW sales and best legs overall in SW. Oh yeah, HH they were never touched. Even with PSP, the most successful non nintendo HH wasnt close to beating DS.

Damn looking back makes me sad for this generation! Everything will massively decline, Well except PS4. It should do at least 75mil if nothing goes wrong

Ka-pi96 said:
AZWification said:

Yup. Sony won the 7th gen by default thanks to the power of Giant Enemy Crabs!

Seen this a few times now what is it a reference to?

Genji: Days of the Blade. It was a Sony launch title that was laughable at best because it was supposed to be a historically accurate game. 

tbone51 said:
S.T.A.G.E. said:
tbone51 said:
S.T.A.G.E. said:I

I kno! Dont kno why HH seem so much more irrelevant, oh well.

Sony def dominates in HW sales (excluding vita) and they also have best HW legs in the industry. Nintendo ironically is te opposite, best SW sales and best legs overall in SW. Oh yeah, HH they were never touched. Even with PSP, the most successful non nintendo HH wasnt close to beating DS.

Damn looking back makes me sad for this generation! Everything will massively decline, Well except PS4. It should do at least 75mil if nothing goes wrong

Yep. 

Phantom-Lord said:
Mr Khan said:
Only in the sense that their competitors are fairly incompetent in how they conduct themselves. PS1 wouldn't have gotten off the ground if Sega hadn't flopped into the 5th generation with the grace of a dying fish and/or Nintendo had embraced CDs. If one or both of Sega or Nintendo had run themselves properly, Sony would have been a big also-ran.

This serendipity continued into the PS2 generation, where Sony's only real threat was the Dreamcast due to production delays in the GameCube and the Xbox's general late arrival. Microsoft can be excused to an extent because of their first round entry, but Nintendo really dropped the ball on getting the GameCube out on time and with proper support (stories from the era reveal that they were very slow and uncaring about getting dev kits out to third parties, for instance). Plus there's the whole "purple lunchbox" thing (though at least Nintendo of America got us out of the "StarCube.")

If Sega had been in the position to fight back against the PS2 more aggressively, if Nintendo had been more aggressive about fixing the mistakes of the N64 era (or had just jumped ahead to make the Wii early somehow), or if Microsoft had been smoother about entering the arena, there you go.

The 7th gen demonstrates what happens when Sony's competitors take things seriously: the 360 was much like the PS2 and the PS4 in spirit: meant to be the gamers' console, to give "us" what we want. Microsoft out-Playstation'd the Playstation, and so held second place for as long as second place matters (it really doesn't matter where the PS3 ends up now, folks. The end of 2012 was basically the end, after the Wii U launched and when Sony and Microsoft were both moving focus to the new consoles). Nintendo, meanwhile, got back in touch with their roots in terms of understanding that their job is to sell games that sell consoles, and create games that do things nobody else even thinks of.

Of course Sony took stupid pills in 2005 and 2006, and to a lesser extent 2007, to give Nintendo and Microsoft (more Microsoft for the direct market competition) a leg up, but even later in the gen as Sony righted the ship, the contest remained competitive.

Now we're back to seeing Sony's competitors do dumb things and Sony... not do dumb things. There's no magic there. What if Microsoft had made priority one for the Xbox One to be as developer-friendly as possible, reconfiguring the design phase? What if Nintendo had launched a true Wii successor that built on the promises of the Wii, instead of a half-assed retreat into the core market that we got?

WOW, just wow, a mod saying the only reason sony became the dominate player in the console market was competition being dumb.....Ridiculously short sighted and wrong. Yes they did nothing right, never got dev support, made good systems with features people wanted, made good games , saw market trends.

If the mods on this site have this view it is obvious there is massive bias... You make like it is a simple task to make a game console, make your own studios, invest in it, market it, see what the market wants and deliver...If t was that easy why did no one else do it?  Absolutely ridiculous post.

If MS made a priority to X1 (Newsflash they did), Sonywould still win because of a superio WORLDWIDE product with a WORLDWID focus, but god forbid we give sony any credit for their WW approach and stiudios.

This is kinda off topic but I felt it needed to be addressed. Why is it that people frequenting these forums as well as other forums think that moderators have opinions that are worth any more or less than the general community. You're judging an entire community by one mans opinion. Moderators are not promoted because they share opinions that are deemed passable by the heiarchy of VGC, they are promoted because they are compotent and are able to keep order.  Just because he his a moderator doesn't make his opinion worth anymore than mine or anyone elses and just because hes a moderator doesn't mean hes not allowed to have his own opinions and share them with the community, regardless of whether people agree with him or not. Just a pet peeve of mine.

Mr Khan said:
S.T.A.G.E. said:

Nintendo won last gen, but mostly because Microsoft stood in Sony's way. Sony has what Microsoft and Nintendo both lack which is why they will always perform well. Its why they appeal to a great audience at large. They increased the overall market the second they joined the gaming industry and continued to have it continue in its growth over the PS2 era.

The increase was due to their ability to reach into markets (countries) that Nintendo and Sega couldn't. Don't oversell it.

Oversell what? I gave everyone their due. Nintendo found a new market, Sony didnt only reach into countries, they changed the perception of what a videogame console was as a multimedia device, which inspired Microsoft to come into the gaming industry after turning down a partnership.