By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Does Sony win every generation by default?

Play4Fun said:
think-man said:

If I was so submissive do you think we would be arguing about such trivial things for the last few hours? 

I just don't see why you would think I was trying to dominate you, since I never even got hostile or anything during the argument and even sprinkled a little humour in a few of my post.

Anyways, morning approaches and all that is to be said has been said so I'll stop, for real this time.

Go to sleep, we can finish this tomorrow if you so desire.

Around the Network

If by "default" you mean 50% of the time, then yes.

8th gen predictions. (made early 2014)
PS4: 60-65m
WiiU: 30-35m
X1: 30-35m
3DS: 80-85m
PSV: 15-20m

So your thought is that Sony wins as long as they dont lose?

That seems a given.

Current Game Machines: 3DS, Wii U, PC.

Currently Playing: X-Com(PC), Smash Bros(WiiU), Banner Saga(PC), Guild Wars 2(PC), Project X Zone(3DS), Luigis Mansion 2(3DS), DayZ(PC)

Fusioncode said:

Unlike Microsoft they have strong presence in all three major regions. Unlike Nintendo they have solid 3rd party support. Both Nintendo and Microsoft have a handicap that Sony lacks. So as long as neither of them throws a curveball like the Wii, or Sony doesn't make major mistakes like with the PS3, does Sony just automatically win?

I would say yes. Why ?  Playstation is the most popular brand in the Global, people love the game experience on playstation.  Look at PS3; even though it was released one full year after X360 in NA and Japan, and 16 months after in Europe, with a crazy price, soooo much more expensive than X360, in the end it managed to sell more in the Global = more in Europe, more in Japan and more in The Rest of the world. The only place where X360 won was NA. PS3 is also overtaking Wii in Europe(in few weeks) and sold more than Wii in The Rest of the World.  But we know about Wii, as you said.

With the new generation, Sony did all right, the machine is perfect, but on the other hand, MS made a step back, after the beautiful 360.  360 was a LOT cheaper than PS3, very powerful, balanced, easy to develop for, and released before PS3(see above); so it also had many more games by the time PS3 was released, better multiplatform games. Even considering this, Sony won in the Global. So, what about now ? PS4 is more powerful, more friendly to develop for, have and will 'almost' always have the best multiplatform games, released at the same time as XOne, and a better price compared to the hardware(even VS the rumored Kinect-less model). What do you think will happen ?? I have the simple answer = PS4 Domination in the Global.  The only place where things will be more interesting is NA, where people are very loyal to american products.  So, with an Halo Game, or a very strong Black Friday, XBone could really sell very good in that short period, and come close to PS4. But if you ask me, Sony already won this Gen; they have the best hardware, great value, PS Now coming soon, very competitive price, some of the best 1st Party studios, the best multiplatform games, most people loyal to the Playstation brand in the Global, and there's not another 'Wii like console'= no competition from Nintendo this time and a much weaker Microsoft.

”Every great dream begins with a dreamer. Always remember, you have within you the strength, the patience, and the passion to reach for the stars to change the world.”

Harriet Tubman.

Ka-pi96 said:
endimion said:
Just to be clear you don't win a generation by selling more units only but by making the highest profit.... So nope Sony won 1 Gen so far maybe 2 but certainly not last Gen and the new Gen is yet to be proven pretty sure MS generates more profit on average by unit sold....

Maybe for share holders but for gamers sales>profits.

Yep. Whichever consoles generates the biggest overall profit can certainly be considered the most successful product, but when talking about who "won" a generation the only criteria to gamers is who sold the most hardware.

Around the Network
Dr.Henry_Killinger said:

Mr Khan said:
Only in the sense that their competitors are fairly incompetent in how they conduct themselves. PS1 wouldn't have gotten off the ground if Sega hadn't flopped into the 5th generation with the grace of a dying fish and/or Nintendo had embraced CDs. If one or both of Sega or Nintendo had run themselves properly, Sony would have been a big also-ran.

This serendipity continued into the PS2 generation, where Sony's only real threat was the Dreamcast due to production delays in the GameCube and the Xbox's general late arrival. Microsoft can be excused to an extent because of their first round entry, but Nintendo really dropped the ball on getting the GameCube out on time and with proper support (stories from the era reveal that they were very slow and uncaring about getting dev kits out to third parties, for instance). Plus there's the whole "purple lunchbox" thing (though at least Nintendo of America got us out of the "StarCube.")

If Sega had been in the position to fight back against the PS2 more aggressively, if Nintendo had been more aggressive about fixing the mistakes of the N64 era (or had just jumped ahead to make the Wii early somehow), or if Microsoft had been smoother about entering the arena, there you go.

The 7th gen demonstrates what happens when Sony's competitors take things seriously: the 360 was much like the PS2 and the PS4 in spirit: meant to be the gamers' console, to give "us" what we want. Microsoft out-Playstation'd the Playstation, and so held second place for as long as second place matters (it really doesn't matter where the PS3 ends up now, folks. The end of 2012 was basically the end, after the Wii U launched and when Sony and Microsoft were both moving focus to the new consoles). Nintendo, meanwhile, got back in touch with their roots in terms of understanding that their job is to sell games that sell consoles, and create games that do things nobody else even thinks of. 

Of course Sony took stupid pills in 2005 and 2006, and to a lesser extent 2007, to give Nintendo and Microsoft (more Microsoft for the direct market competition) a leg up, but even later in the gen as Sony righted the ship, the contest remained competitive.

Now we're back to seeing Sony's competitors do dumb things and Sony... not do dumb things. There's no magic there. What if Microsoft had made priority one for the Xbox One to be as developer-friendly as possible, reconfiguring the design phase? What if Nintendo had launched a true Wii successor that built on the promises of the Wii, instead of a half-assed retreat into the core market that we got?

That's a very disingenuous and naive opinion. The successes and failures of each of the console makers are half merit and half luck. At least in most cases. To lead the generation out of the gate and not make the same mistakes as their competitors requires a ton of wherewithal, especially when you consider that the mentaility behind the system is unlike any of its predecessors.

I'm not saying that Sony would *never* win if its competitors were competent, just that the appearance that Sony wins 3/4 generations as walk-off home-runs is more due to what the competitors do wrong than what Sony does right. Sony is responsible for the good performance of the PlayStation, but they are not responsible for turning consumers away from their competitors.

Monster Hunter: pissing me off since 2010.

Last generation Nintendo was the winner in the console market.

So the winner is something that can change

Every new generation of consoles.

yeah.
the name playstation is a huge marketing brand.

Fusioncode said:

What a silly contribution. Any thread can be mindlessly devolved like that. If you're going to disagree with the thread then at least explain why. 

You defeated yourself. The post I quoted perfectly explains how I felt about your thread, hence what I said to the poster I quoted. 

You say Sony 'wins by default', but that's only after you make all these exceptions to the rule you've made up. 

Yes. And last gen was no exception, PS3 won. All you have to do is look at how things ended up. It was the only system with a solid long term strategy and that's part of the reason why many people flock to the PS4.
Though it was indeed the closest generation.