By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Should Nintendo sell their majority stake in the Seattle Mariners?

I was just wondering this considering everyone always wants Nintendo to buy more studios.  If they sold their majority stake in the Mariners then they could use that money to buy more studios which would improve their game output for their consoles (mainly talking about home console since most 3rd party companies have shunned the Wii U). 

Would this be a wise decision to sell off a stake in a baseball club that hasn't really done anything since the mid 2000s?   I'm sure most of you would probably say yea go ahead and sell it to buy a good third party company to add to their portfolio.  However, the team makes them some money and increases in value every year ( http://www.forbes.com/teams/seattle-mariners/ ).  Thoughts?

Around the Network

I didn't know, while it aint their core business, why shun it if profitable

"I think people should define the word crap" - Kirby007

Join the Prediction League http://www.vgchartz.com/predictions

Instead of seeking to convince others, we can be open to changing our own minds, and seek out information that contradicts our own steadfast point of view. Maybe it’ll turn out that those who disagree with you actually have a solid grasp of the facts. There’s a slight possibility that, after all, you’re the one who’s wrong.

I doubt Nintendo has to free up money before it can invest in something else.
It's not like they don't invest because they have no money. They don't invest because it would be the smart thing to do.

If you demand respect or gratitude for your volunteer work, you're doing volunteering wrong.

kirby007 said:
I didn't know, while it aint their core business, why shun it if profitable

It is a tough call for me.  As long as it is making them money then they probably should hold.  Look at the L.A. Clippers owner who is probably going to get forced to sell his team.  He bought the team for ~12 million and now the team is worth 1.5 billion (I believe).  Even if he is forced to sell he is going to make a shitload of money for holding on to such a shitty team for so long and they finally turned good.

vivster said:
I doubt Nintendo has to free up money before it can invest in something else.
It's not like they don't invest because they have no money. They don't invest because it would be the smart thing to do.

Well when you have no debt then you don't really need to sell assets.  I was just thinking perhaps they could make more money quicker and lock up a decent studio/IPs for themselves (Capcom, Sega, etc.).  The baseball team would probably make them more money in the long term and be more of a safe bet.  They should at least make another damn Ken Griffey Jr. baseball game or something (I believe they are parterning or trying to get a baseball game out eventually).  Hell, they can't even get the return of RBI Baseball to come to Nintendo system yet ( http://www.nintendolife.com/forums/wii-u/will_rbi_baseball_come_to_the_wii_u ) even though the series gained its fame on the NES.

Around the Network

If the team is making a profit and increasing in value ... I mean what's the point? I think they were exploring selling the team a few years ago when the picture wasn't so rosy.

They're not bleeding lots of money or laying off people, why? Nintendo has lots of capital and who knows what might happen in the future with the Seattle Mariners.

Nintendo has plenty of money in the bank...there is no real reason to sell things.

Actually, i heard that nintendo is heavily criticised because they are passive about the team, not making any effort to turn it bigger or better.

"Hardware design isn’t about making the most powerful thing you can.
Today most hardware design is left to other companies, but when you make hardware without taking into account the needs of the eventual software developers, you end up with bloated hardware full of pointless excess. From the outset one must consider design from both a hardware and software perspective."

Gunpei Yoko

Its a good investment that not only is profitable but also helps diversify their portfolio. They should keep it.