By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Final Fantasy (GDC)

Now if only KH3 would come out on wii, psp, and ps2 I would be very happy.

2008 end of year predictions:

PS3: 22M

360: 25M

wii: 40M

Around the Network
ChronotriggerJM said:
I think it's "tools" that's throwing everyone off :P I wouldn't have minded the "Crystal Engine" xD

Well, most of it are actually the tools :)

PSN ID: krik

Optimistic predictions for 2008 (Feb 5 2008): Wii = 20M, PS3 = 14M, X360 = 9.5M

Heh, too bad they can't lend some form of the Crystal Tool dev kit to Nintendo for Pokemon games. Wanna know why? Whenever the main handheld versions are in the works, they ALWAYS have to build some new form of an engine, which takes a hell of a lot of time between game generations. They always seem to improve from generation game and so on, but it DOES take at least a year and a half or two just to get their handheld games done with programming, which sucks.

OT: I want to know which system the new MMORPG will be on. I hope it's on PC, but I wonder what the PC requirements will be...if it is a big amount of specs, I may have to get a new laptop >_> Or upgrade my current one...

Soriku said:
How were you able to go to GDC?

ROFL

I come every year, my company sends me ;) 

krik said:
Soriku said:

ROFL

Time to make a thread and tell us your experience, friend. Unless you only saw Final Fantasy stuff, in which case ... mission accomplished?

Around the Network
krik said:
makingmusic476 said:
krik said:

He showed screen shots of the tools : character editor, cut scene editor, etc. Also played the same trailer as yesterday during "The art of FINAL FANTASY" session.

So the cutscenes will be real-time?

I don't think so. The cut scene editor uses in-game assets. They can play with the assets, animations, cameras, effects, etc, but I think at the end the goal is to render the cut scenes. Anyway I can't tell if they will be pre rendered or not since they did not specify (I think they will pre-render them to make them look better).

Also, during yesterday's session the art director said for FFXIII they have a different team just working on cut scenes...

It likely refers to the in-game cutscenes from FF, not the pre-rendered scenes.  

Leo-j said: If a dvd for a pc game holds what? Crysis at 3000p or something, why in the world cant a blu-ray disc do the same?

ssj12 said: Player specific decoders are nothing more than specialized GPUs. Gran Turismo is the trust driving simulator of them all. 

"Why do they call it the xbox 360? Because when you see it, you'll turn 360 degrees and walk away" 

Dolla Dolla said:
krik said:
Soriku said:

ROFL

Time to make a thread and tell us your experience, friend. Unless you only saw Final Fantasy stuff, in which case ... mission accomplished?

I'm too lazy for that ;) Last year's GDC was amazing, this year was just "normal" (it's always a shit load of fun, of course).

This year I focused on FF, Uncharted, PhyreEngine and Home/PSN dev tools. The Home session was pretty awesome, the tools they're making available to developers are insane, you can make lots of stuff, not just in-game assets. You can make 2D games, 3D games, funny objects (they showed a camera and a bubble machine), etc. Lots of power using only Lua scripts and some Maya/Max plugins. They showed a few screenshots / movies that I will post later when I get back home ;) 

They also said that areas will be limited to 64 people at a time (before a new instance is created)... so forget having a massive party at your apartment :(

The exposition is pretty good this year. I played Chains of Olympus (freaking awesome), Echonocrome (ok), SSBB (feels old, it's just like SSB, wtf?) and a few other games. 

Soriku said:
@zack

The CT isn't compatible with PSP and PS2 and they said all future titles will use it. I don't think SE/Disney would downgrade anything. Not to mention Nomura said his last PS2 game he was going to make is KH2: FM+. KH3 will be exclusive (to Wii).

@krik

I hate you =(((( Which company do you work for?

I work for Turner Broadcasting on GameTap (http://www.gametap.com).

I wonder how CT look on PC/x360. =)

Every 5 seconds on earth one child dies from hunger...

2009.04.30 - PS3 will OUTSELL x360 atleast by the middle of 2010. Japan+Europe > NA.

Gran Turismo 3 - 1,06 mln. in 3 weeks with around 4 mln. PS2 on the launch.
Gran Turismo 4 - 1,16 mln. with 18 mln. PS2 on the launch.

Final Fantasy X - around 2 mln. with 5 mln. PS2 on the launch.
Final Fantasy X-2 - 2.4 mln. with 12 mln. PS2 on the launch.

1.8 mln. PS3 today(2008.01.17) in Japan. Now(2009.04.30) 3.16 mln. PS3 were sold in Japan.
PS3 will reach 4 mln. in Japan by the end of 2009 with average weekly sales 25k.

PS3 may reach 5 mln. in Japan by the end of 2009 with average weekly sales 50k.
PS2 2001 vs PS3 2008 sales numbers =) + New games released in Japan by 2009 that passed 100k so far

Final Fantasy Haeresis XIII for Wii using Crystal Tools confirmed?

Tag - "No trolling on my watch!"